There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Situational Football - Niner coaches ain't got it!

This situation has to be discussed before the start of the game-tying drive. It's not being negative to believe your defense can't stop a great offense, as it is more a case of being proactive to ensure your team can win the game. What good is tying the game to then lose on a last-second field goal? Be smart, move the clock as you move the ball.

This was a heart-breaking loss for the 49ers, unfortunately one that could have been avoided had they stayed in bounds a few times and milked the clock.

Mike Lombardi
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81abab6c/article/heres-the-situation-49ers-should-have-taken-their-time?module=HP_cp2

The bottom line, we don't have a head coach as smart as Peyton.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
That is really stupid. We were down by 8, not 7. So, if we had scored a TD with no time or little time left on the clock and we failed to get 2pt. conversion, then game was over.

We scored quickly...so if we don't convert for 2pts...we can onside kick it and have time to get in the FG range.

Whoever wrote this article isn't very bright.
That was going through my mind the entire drive. Of course I was more worried about scoring, although, time wasn't really an issue at that point.

I have been really disappointed with the coaching staff. Sing is obviously good at motivating, but he needs good assistants around him for x's and o's, strategy, etc. The coaching staff hasn't been good enough these first two games to put it lightly.
There is a lot of stuff they don't get... It took 2 years to figure out how to get the plays in on time... Yes we took lots of timeouts last year too. And now we know why.
and if we had plays where the players did not get out of bounds and nor score you would be writing about that. Yes, it would have been nice to use more of the clock so that brees and that offense didn't have time to make a game winning drive. But we had no time outs and had to score which we did. we put the game in our defense hands, the strength of our team, and unfortunately they didn't step up on the last drive
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
That is really stupid. We were down by 8, not 7. So, if we had scored a TD with no time or little time left on the clock and we failed to get 2pt. conversion, then game was over.

We scored quickly...so if we don't convert for 2pts...we can onside kick it and have time to get in the FG range.

I don't think that was the case. No coach would think like that. It was obvious they were trying to score quick because there was about 2 min I believe.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:

I don't think that was the case. No coach would think like that. It was obvious they were trying to score quick because there was about 2 min I believe.

I played HS football - and I remember a game where we were down by 8 and our coach wanted us to get the score asap so if we don't convert - we have a chance to kick the onside kick.

I don't know the mind-set of a NFL coach, but my high school coach always told us - treat an 8 point lead late in the game as a 9 pt. lead. You need two scores.

I was fuming when I read that article and it was written by Michael Lombardi, former exec of the 49ers and Raiders.

This part made the least amount of sense to me.

Quote:
The 49ers should have assumed they would score, assumed they would convert the two-point play, and also manage the situation to not allow the Saints from coming back to win with a last-second field goal.

Why would you make such an assumption...? When it was 1st and goal, I was hoping that we would run a play that was in bounds because I knew what Brees could do, but at the same time, I felt we couldn't afford to let too much time to run off the clock just in case we don't make the 2 pt conversion.

And in some ways, you got to show trust in your D, which Singletary did. And at the same time, we are a very young inexperienced team, coach included, and the main goal for that young group of guys out on the field was to score. We didn't have a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or a Drew Brees. I deemed this as a great learning experience for Singletary and Alex Smith. One of those experiences that enables Alex to be Manning-like if the situation were to arise again.

[ Edited by 49ersRednGold on Sep 21, 2010 at 23:14:16 ]
Our team struggles to put the ball in the endzone, so I am not angry that we scored too quickly. Obviously, if we had an offense like the Colts, we would have taken our time.

That's exactly right. With a young, inexperienced offense your primary problem is tying the game, not tying the game at an opportune time. Especially when you have a 2pt conversion waiting to greet you in the endzone. It's better to keep the defense on its heels and sucking wind in that circumstance. Again, tying the game is your paramont goal, everything else is gravy.

If there is fault to be levied in our end game strategy, it should be tossed Manusky's way. Again, what have we learned about the prevent? All together now, "It prevents you........"
  • flow
  • Veteran

The coaches have other great qualities and they can improve in these areas. I'm sure Mike will be reading about this and reflecting.
oh come on, you score when you can score. this isn't madden football dude. what if we had gotten a lucky break (i know it would've been shocking) and brees fumbled a snap or something on the first play, but there was too little time left to take advantage? what if what if what if. if you can score, you score, you don't assume the other team is going to drive down the field on you. we got dinked and dunked all night but we absolutely did the right thing. we even ran the damn ball for the TD! the saints D was so crappy that even when we tried to run some clock we just scored anyways.

i know you dont want to give brees/manning/etc time but you tie the game and then come up with the best you have on defense. you don't HOPE you leave them without time to do anything. turrble article
Originally posted by sacniner:

I played HS football - and I remember a game where we were down by 8 and our coach wanted us to get the score asap so if we don't convert - we have a chance to kick the onside kick.

I don't know the mind-set of a NFL coach, but my high school coach always told us - treat an 8 point lead late in the game as a 9 pt. lead. You need two scores.

You are absolutely right!

• Crown
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
This situation has to be discussed before the start of the game-tying drive. It's not being negative to believe your defense can't stop a great offense, as it is more a case of being proactive to ensure your team can win the game. What good is tying the game to then lose on a last-second field goal? Be smart, move the clock as you move the ball.

This was a heart-breaking loss for the 49ers, unfortunately one that could have been avoided had they stayed in bounds a few times and milked the clock.

Mike Lombardi
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81abab6c/article/heres-the-situation-49ers-should-have-taken-their-time?module=HP_cp2

The bottom line, we don't have a head coach as smart as Peyton.

I disagree with the writers analysis.

You have to get the score before you think about how to get the win. what if you milked the clock and didnt get the score?

I believe the fast pace keep the niners in sync and the saints out of sync.

you had to trust the D to hold the tie...and they broke. simple as that.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home