There are 191 users in the forums

Situational Football - Niner coaches ain't got it!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hey this guy isn't very bright.

We were down by 8. We needed time left to onside kick it if we scored and failed the 2 point conversion, which almost happened....

Irony at its best.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
That is really stupid. We were down by 8, not 7. So, if we had scored a TD with no time or little time left on the clock and we failed to get 2pt. conversion, then game was over.

We scored quickly...so if we don't convert for 2pts...we can onside kick it and have time to get in the FG range.

Whoever wrote this article isn't very bright.

I was fuming when I read that article and it was written by Michael Lombardi, former exec of the 49ers and Raiders.

This part made the least amount of sense to me.

Quote:
The 49ers should have assumed they would score, assumed they would convert the two-point play, and also manage the situation to not allow the Saints from coming back to win with a last-second field goal.

Why would you make such an assumption...? When it was 1st and goal, I was hoping that we would run a play that was in bounds because I knew what Brees could do, but at the same time, I felt we couldn't afford to let too much time to run off the clock just in case we don't make the 2 pt conversion.

And in some ways, you got to show trust in your D, which Singletary did. And at the same time, we are a very young inexperienced team, coach included, and the main goal for that young group of guys out on the field was to score. We didn't have a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or a Drew Brees. I deemed this as a great learning experience for Singletary and Alex Smith. One of those experiences that enables Alex to be Manning-like if the situation were to arise again.

Yea, it's a very silly argument. In basketball, if you're down by 1 - you don't wait to take the last shot - you take the shot asap - because if you miss it - you can foul and still have a chance to tie or win the game. You can't just assume that you will hit the shot and win the game at the buzzer.
STOP STOP STOP STOP.................please
stop this madness. this was the best game i have ever seen our coaches coach. without any of the turnovers, we win the game
This is dumb b/c it's based on revisionist history of the event. You score however you can in that situation and deal with everything else after the fact.
I agree that our coaches don't have it, but that is not a good example. The best example by far is our problems getting plays in, which should not even be a conversation for NFL fans to have.

And people are forgetting we still had 1 problem with it on Monday night. So in my book, it is still not solved. 1 season, 2 games and counting where this staff is obviously missing some procedural element that all other professional staffs seem to have.
Originally posted by danimal:
And people are forgetting we still had 1 problem with it on Monday night. So in my book, it is still not solved. 1 season, 2 games and counting where this staff is obviously missing some procedural element that all other professional staffs seem to have.

I don't recall any instances in which the play was late to the huddle and forced Smith to call a timeout or take a penalty.
The thing is should the niners be trusting there defense? Samething basically happened late vs Seattle last year. Trusting the defense to hold and they simply can't. 49ersmylife said it perfectly in his post being down by 9 changes a lot.
Originally posted by redrathman:

I don't recall any instances in which the play was late to the huddle and forced Smith to call a timeout or take a penalty.

yeah I think it happened once. If I recall correctly, Alex did not get to the line until about 10 secs left, and then they tried a personnel change...Vernon was running in from the side and obviously that was not enough time. I am pretty sure they took the penalty
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I argued this point vehemently on the gameday thread after the game.

No one understood it...or just argued with it like it possibly couldn't be right.

Well, it was very right.

The Niners only took 53 seconds off the clock on their 8 play game tying drive. They had about 2:13 to work with.

Basically every play in the 8 play drive stopped the clock...that's why only 53 seconds burned off. 4 of the plays saw players run out of bounds to purposely stop the clock.

I chalk it up to inexperience. The Niners had complete power to manage the clock. Instead they fooled themselves into thinking there wasn't enough time.

Even Gruden mentioned it....he said "You don't want to leave Brees with too much time if you do score."

All they had to do was stay in bounds of a few of those plays instead of running out of bounds. The clock would have kept running while they ran the very same plays they ran with the clock stopped.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
The thing is should the niners be trusting there defense? Samething basically happened late vs Seattle last year. Trusting the defense to hold and they simply can't. 49ersmylife said it perfectly in his post being down by 9 changes a lot.

The defense had a tough job....they had to keep the Saints offense out of field goal range. Keeping a team out of field goal range is a lot tougher than keeping it out of the endzone.

The Niner defense did a good overall job all night of keeping the Saints out of the endzone, but they didn't stop them from moving the ball between the 20s....they still did that at will, and here all Brees had to do was throw a couple screens, then throw up a jump ball for Colston.

So the Niners should have been playing to force overtime during their drive....not to just tie and then play defense and stop a game winning field goal.

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
That is really stupid. We were down by 8, not 7. So, if we had scored a TD with no time or little time left on the clock and we failed to get 2pt. conversion, then game was over.

We scored quickly...so if we don't convert for 2pts...we can onside kick it and have time to get in the FG range.

Whoever wrote this article isn't very bright.

Exactly. I would not defend Singletary's game management in general, but on this, the writer is using 20-20 hindsight. If you are down by 8 you score as fast as possible. It would have been nice to have all three timeouts left so they could make plays in the middle of the field, but Smith was able to do it anyway. If the Niners had NOT scored, we would be correctly criticizing Simpletary for yet another example of wasted time outs. You simply have to save those time outs so that your comeback drive can use the whole field.

yeah I think it happened once. If I recall correctly, Alex did not get to the line until about 10 secs left, and then they tried a personnel change...Vernon was running in from the side and obviously that was not enough time. I am pretty sure they took the penalty

I think Sing said that we only had 10 players in the huddle because Vernons chin strap was broken but the coaching staff wasnt made aware of Vernons equipment issues so they didnt send another player to take his spot, then once vernon got it fixed he tried to make back onto the field
Originally posted by valrod33:

I think Sing said that we only had 10 players in the huddle because Vernons chin strap was broken but the coaching staff wasnt made aware of Vernons equipment issues so they didnt send another player to take his spot, then once vernon got it fixed he tried to make back onto the field

Bad coaching, you mean?
Originally posted by valrod33:

ah good to know. I put that on Vernon then, he should have called to get himself replaced.

So Alex must have received the play but was waiting for his 11th to show.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
This is dumb b/c it's based on revisionist history of the event. You score however you can in that situation and deal with everything else after the fact.

Nothing dumb about being confident in scoring, but also knowing that you're going to have to bleed enough time off the clock to prevent the Saints offense from ever getting on the field in regulation, no matter what.

So you make some assumptions:

1. We're going to score even if it takes 4 downs on every down reset.

2. If we get a first down we'll keep the clock running by staying inbounds until the clock is bled to about 1:00 left in regulation.

3. Then you start working the sidelines, running OOB, and spiking the ball if you have to.

Our players have been in too few of these types of situations to know better and our coaches aren't smart enough to know these relatively simple mechanics of game and clock management to teach them.

Ultimately, I want Smith to make the leap that the coaches are simply too dumb to make themselves. He's a bright and very intelligent guy....he needs to assert his will and his leadership and take command of the offense. Smith needs to study Peyton Manning....the guy's a friggin maestro, Smith can learn a ton from how he manages the game.
Share 49ersWebzone