Underrated :

Nate Clements
David Carr
Moran Norris

you forgot nate davis for underrated
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Overrated:
Chilo Rachal -- Without him in our team played great. Dude is just not good.
Parys Haralson -- Why this missing tackle machine is starting over Ahmad Brooks, I don't know.
Dashon Goldson -- This guy is asking for a huge salary? Learn how to cover first, please. That pass defend on Colston at the end of the Saints game is just a microcosm of his terrible coverage ability. He could be GREAT if he learned better coverage.

Underrated
Josh Morgan -- 6th round pick, hands of glue. Yes he's slow. But he kept a LOT of drives alive last night.
Ahmad Brooks -- He's a baller with a nose for the QB. Start him over Haralson.
Shawntae Spencer -- I rarely see him getting beat, if ever. He is quietly becoming a great shutdown corner. Will be #1 with Nate gone.

I got roasted here for saying that!

I'll go with this.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
The Lawson hate is sickening

Its because he never really lived up to that first round selection. He's an average player who wants big time money.
Overrated:
Chilo Rachal
Michael Lewis
Moran Norris?

Underrated
Delaine Walker
Issac Sopoaga
Ahmad Brooks
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Overrated:
Chilo Rachal -- Without him in our team played great. Dude is just not good.
Parys Haralson -- Why this missing tackle machine is starting over Ahmad Brooks, I don't know.
Dashon Goldson -- This guy is asking for a huge salary? Learn how to cover first, please. That pass defend on Colston at the end of the Saints game is just a microcosm of his terrible coverage ability. He could be GREAT if he learned better coverage.

Underrated
Josh Morgan -- 6th round pick, hands of glue. Yes he's slow. But he kept a LOT of drives alive last night.
Ahmad Brooks -- He's a baller with a nose for the QB. Start him over Haralson.
Shawntae Spencer -- I rarely see him getting beat, if ever. He is quietly becoming a great shutdown corner. Will be #1 with Nate gone.

I got roasted here for saying that!

I'll go with this.

I can't believe Morgan had over 70 yards last night. I just remember that one nice tip toe catch he had the sideline the last drive.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Overrated :

Patrick Willis
Justin Smith
Frank Gore

Underrated :

Nate Clements
David Carr
Moran Norris

you forgot nate davis for underrated

We could win like 1 maybe 2 SB's with Nate, but with Carr we could be a DYNASTY and fill a whole hand with rings.
Fun topic...

Overrated would imply most think he's a stud when in fact, he's not really. It would imply some serious playmaking but he doesn't. Underrated would imply just the opposite. So, here's my list:

Overrated:
Lawson - on par with two of the most overrated players of all time (Ahmed Plummer and Eric Davis)
Franklin - besides being WAY overpaid too, the fact is, he's another one-dimensional player who only plays well in a one-gap system and RJF proved that just about anybody can play that role
Willis - this should get you fired up! LOL. But going by the definition of overrated he is considered as having a God-like status around the league and plays in a defense that is designed around him. That said, he's not a leader or a game changer. He's a tremendous tackler and will malke the occasional play but lets be real here - he's 100% freed to run to the ball carrier and play down hill. Aside from him not wanting the dot on his helmet he's also very soft in coverage and that had been a big problem for this team. In NT, he IS a God. He is not a game-changer but a very good LB that plays in a perfect system (sort of like Ben Rothlisberger who also was very overrated his first few years in the league). Will Willis become that Ray Lewis-type of leader? Probably not b/c that's not his temperment. Will he get better in coverage? Hopefully. I love Willis but he is overrated some.

Runner up - Staley, hands down

Underrated:
Brooks - every time this guy gets on the field good things happen for us whether that's a dominating performance against the Cards, tackles for losses, knocking down a pass, breaking Reggie Bush's leg or publically stating he was pissed he didn't lead the team in sacks last year. Yet, again, going by the definitions, MS thinks it's going to be tough trying to figure out how he'll fit him in. Seriously? The guy gets about 10 snaps last night coming off a lacerated kidney and gets a sack, hurry and is the first one down on ST's and breaks Bush's leg. That alone is more then both of our starting OLB's have done collectively taking 90% of every snap the past two games. That, my friends, is the definition of overrated (and a retarded coaching staff with no eye for pass rushers on a 3-4 defense; see also, D. Briggs)
Baas - the guy was the only o-line player last year to consistently clear the way for various long Gore TD runs. He was playing stellar as a RG and then suddenly is moved to LG for Rachal? Ummm...his rookie year he was dominant esp. towards the year at RG for an injured Smiley but Smiley is given his job back and then bails for another team. Baas takes a paycut to stay with us and is now switched to center and doing a stellar job there. Of all the OL so far this season, he would probably grade out the highest right now. Not bad eh?
Sopoaga - this guy constantly gets no love but right now, he may be our best DL and that's no joke. Manny gets many of the glory for his dirty work but now Sopoaga is not only occupying two guys often (on the "strong side") but he's allowing Franklin to shoot his single A-gap AND sealing the edge forcing RB's far outside where Manny lines up, standing up at the LOS ready to feast. The only one breaking his back these days are our fans! Who was that 1st rounder who was supposed to take his job again?

Runner up - Alex Smith (this guy has been more hamstrung by piss poor coaching then any player I have ever seen; give this man the complete freedom to call his own game and he'll play to his #1 overall status). You'e got the wristband now, Alex...rip out the headset and treat every game like you did in the 2-minute drill where you called all the plays on your own! Just act like the headset isn't working, squint a lot to the sideline and then in the huddle, call your own plays! I'd also like to mention Reggie Smith here. So far this year, the kid just makes plays with his limited snaps!

Have at it folks...

[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 21, 2010 at 19:42:48 ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Wow...some of you guys have Lawson as under-rated? The guy is terrific against the run. I was in the stands last night, and so many times he made the plays or was the reason why Bush or Thomas couldn't jump outside. He is one of the guys we need to resign.

Stop looking at sack numbers.

Originally posted by Shaj:
My list below...not in any order. list yours.

Top 3 Overrated:
Dashon Goldson
Joe Staley
Moran Norris

Top 3 Underrated
Delanie Walker
Takeo Spikes
Dominique Zeigler
too soon to tell: Anthony Dixon (I have the feeling he's WAY better than anyone knows)

I'm in total agreement with the overrated guys you have listed. My top 3 underrated are:

Lawson - his versatility is rare in this league, and I still think he is being underutilized.

Gore - I know a lot of people think he gets his fair due and he isn't underrated, but I disagree. I think a lot of people take him for granted. Premier back in this league.

Justin Smith - This guy is an animal and has been underrated his entire career.
Lawson and Goldson are not overrated. They are both very solid football players. We must resign Lawson. Losing him would be devastating and then you guys would see how much of an impact he really has.

Overrated:
Parys Haralson- he sucks, slow as hell.. hes cool against the run, but that's it. Laboy, Brooks, Lawson are all leagues ahead of him. Briggs was better also, too bad hes gone now.
Nate Clements- He's a great tackler obviously and very good in run support, but can not cover most elite wr's anymore with speed. Don't know what happened, he use to be pretty fast. Hes only 30 and has been looking slow for a couple years now.
Adam Synder- I know everybody talks about how much he sucks and its absolutely deserved. He is so terrible that he is still somehow overrated. This man blows.

Underrated:
Jason Hill- Given opportunities in a regular season game he can have success in this league
Soapoga- The man is a beast in run defense
Spencer- easily the best corner on our team.. he is very solid

honorable mention- Justin Smith- he's not underrated by niner fans but he is by the nfl. He goes unnoticed and doesn't get much recognition. IMO he is one of the best de's in the game.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
The Lawson hate is sickening

the dude had a game clinching INT in his hands last night and couldn't come up with it

Are you serious? That was a ridiculously hard catch for a LB. Most WRs couldn't make that catch. He is insanely athletic for his size, plays great in the run and in coverage. He doesn't really get opportunities to rush the passer, but that's okay because he is really good in so many other aspects.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Underrated-
Morgan
Snyder (at guard)
Crabtree

Overrated-
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Joe Staley
Originally posted by NCommand:

Willis - this should get you fired up! LOL. But going by the definition of overrated he is considered as having a God-like status around the league and plays in a defense that is designed around him. That said, he's not a leader or a game changer. He's a tremendous tackler and will malke the occasional play but lets be real here - he's 100% freed to run to the ball carrier and play down hill. Aside from him not wanting the dot on his helmet he's also very soft in coverage and that had been a big problem for this team. In NT, he IS a God. He is not a game-changer but a very good LB that plays in a perfect system (sort of like Ben Rothlisberger who also was very overrated his first few years in the league). Will Willis become that Ray Lewis-type of leader? Probably not b/c that's not his temperment. Will he get better in coverage? Hopefully. I love Willis but he is overrated some.

Have at it folks...

Patrick Willis will bring a championship to the city of San Francisco, and when it happens, your opinion will change, and NT will continue to worship #52, The God of all man-beasts.

btw your RJF comment is hilarious!

[ Edited by verb1der on Sep 21, 2010 at 19:02:06 ]
Share 49ersWebzone