Snyder (at guard)
Crabtree

Overrated-
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Joe Staley

Will you ever let the Michael Huff thing go? lol
Overated
1. Dashon Goldson. He's no better than a league average safety. A big upgrade over Mark Roman but definitely not anything irreplaceable. People are seriously overrating him for one great game against the Cardinals. He's been mediocre the rest of the time.

2. Delaine Walker This has been going on for the last 4 years now. Every year he's considered a "secret weapon" and a playmaker but for a guy with his reputation on the webzone, I'm a little underwhelmed by his 2 career touchdowns and his career 233 yards last year, even though we ran lots and lots of two TE sets last year not to mention his tendency to cough up the ball. Before last year there was even a thread where many webzone posters were calling for him to be the starter over Davis. It's irrational and I don't get it. Every team has a couple of these types of players on their team. He's completely replaceable.

3. Nate Davis- And people complain about how Alex supporters make "Alexcuses." Yet to most of those same posters, Nate Davis can do no wrong.

Underrated

1. Shawnte Spencer- he's a close to shut down corner yet he gets next to no recognition at all from the webzone and none at all nationally.

2. Ahmad Brooks- this guy is far and away our best passrusher. Not going to say he's not recognized on the zone, but he's almost the forgotten man in our defense.

3. Manny Lawson- No this guy is not a star, but he is an above average 3-4 linebacker and would be a valuable asset on pretty much any playoff caliber team. I feel like on the webzone people don't appreciate role players enough because they're not a star. Parys Haralson is waaaay more deserving of a demotion than Lawson is.

I would say Parys Haralson is way overrated by our coaching staff but definitely not here. The guy just seems to get a free ride no matter what even though he's only had one good half-season in his career. This guy is probably the biggest weak link on our team.
Overrated:
Michael Lewis (If anyone actually believes he is good.)
Justin Smith (I still think he is a good player but I have been pretty disappointed in his ability to get pressure on the QB. Good against the run though.)
Manny Lawson (Shows flashes but seems to lack focus... or intelligence. or something)
Nate Clements (Once again, good player but not worth 80 million or whatever he got)

Underrated:
Delanie Walker (Despite fumbling issues he creates almost as many matchup problems as VD. How many TE's can return kicks?)
Alex Smith (Not saying he's great but he doesn't suck as much as most people believe.)
Travis LaBoy (Probably our quickest pash rusher off the edge. Doesn't do much else tho...)
Ahmad Brooks (One of our best pass rushers)

Hard to judge anyone on the OL yet since they got manhandled in week one but then mauled the Saints in week 2...

[ Edited by ftbl899 on Sep 21, 2010 at 20:26:14 ]
Ok, Ill add in an extra, All Pro/Worth the Money]

All pro:

Patrick Willis
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore

Underrated:

Justin Smith
Brian Jennings
Eric Heitmann

Honorable: Aubrayo Franklin

Overrated:

Dashon Goldson
Parys Haralson
Isaac Sopoaga

Honarable: Adam Snyder and David Baas

I didnt include rooks, cause its too early to tell.
Overrated:
1. Alex Smith
2. Nate Clements
3. Goldson

Underrated:
1. Shawntae Spencer
2. Ray McDonald
3. Delanie Walker
  • dj43
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Ok, Ill add in an extra, All Pro/Worth the Money]

All pro:

Patrick Willis
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore

Underrated:

Justin Smith
Brian Jennings
Eric Heitmann

Honorable: Aubrayo Franklin

Overrated:

Dashon Goldson
Parys Haralson
Isaac Sopoaga

Honarable: Adam Snyder and David Baas

I didnt include rooks, cause its too early to tell.
I don't know what Justin Smith is earning but I don't think there are very many knowledgeable football people that do not realize he is one of the top 5 or 6 DTs in the league. Put him at DT in a 4-3 and he is All Pro every year.

Also Jennings' contribution in getting the ball back on target with speed is worth a lot more recognition than many give.
Underrated- Frank Gore
Originally posted by valrod33:
Underrated- Frank Gore

how can someone be rated both as best rb ever in 9ers history and nest rb of all time be underrated?

[ Edited by jed_york on Sep 21, 2010 at 21:05:09 ]

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Wow...some of you guys have Lawson as under-rated? The guy is terrific against the run. I was in the stands last night, and so many times he made the plays or was the reason why Bush or Thomas couldn't jump outside. He is one of the guys we need to resign.

Stop looking at sack numbers.

Underrated means he's not getting the credit he deserves.
Originally posted by jed_york:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Underrated- Frank Gore

how can someone be rated both as best rb ever in 9ers history and nest rb of all time be underrated?

i have had some "discussions" with some morons on this board about Frank Gore and he is underrated to some of these people. He doesnt get the respect he deserves

THEY WILL EAT HIS s**t
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Wow...some of you guys have Lawson as under-rated? The guy is terrific against the run. I was in the stands last night, and so many times he made the plays or was the reason why Bush or Thomas couldn't jump outside. He is one of the guys we need to resign.

Stop looking at sack numbers.

Underrated means he's not getting the credit he deserves.

lol its ok every1 has that type of moment
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Overated
1. Dashon Goldson. He's no better than a league average safety. A big upgrade over Mark Roman but definitely not anything irreplaceable. People are seriously overrating him for one great game against the Cardinals. He's been mediocre the rest of the time.

2. Delaine Walker This has been going on for the last 4 years now. Every year he's considered a "secret weapon" and a playmaker but for a guy with his reputation on the webzone, I'm a little underwhelmed by his 2 career touchdowns and his career 233 yards last year, even though we ran lots and lots of two TE sets last year not to mention his tendency to cough up the ball. Before last year there was even a thread where many webzone posters were calling for him to be the starter over Davis. It's irrational and I don't get it. Every team has a couple of these types of players on their team. He's completely replaceable.

3. Nate Davis- And people complain about how Alex supporters make "Alexcuses." Yet to most of those same posters, Nate Davis can do no wrong.

Underrated

1. Shawnte Spencer- he's a close to shut down corner yet he gets next to no recognition at all from the webzone and none at all nationally.

2. Ahmad Brooks- this guy is far and away our best passrusher. Not going to say he's not recognized on the zone, but he's almost the forgotten man in our defense.

3. Manny Lawson- No this guy is not a star, but he is an above average 3-4 linebacker and would be a valuable asset on pretty much any playoff caliber team. I feel like on the webzone people don't appreciate role players enough because they're not a star. Parys Haralson is waaaay more deserving of a demotion than Lawson is.

I would say Parys Haralson is way overrated by our coaching staff but definitely not here. The guy just seems to get a free ride no matter what even though he's only had one good half-season in his career. This guy is probably the biggest weak link on our team.

Thank you sir! I'm going with this.
Originally posted by dugo:
Overrated
Tim Mc Donald
Ricky Watters
Dexter Carter

Underrated
Harris Barton
Kenna Turner
Joe Perry

Nice! Can't argue with any of that--except Bubba Paris should be on underrated list.

And, dugo, if I ever catch you saying the name "Dexter Carter" again, I swear to the Great Pumpkin, I'll find you and you will pay! ;)

In other Disaster Carter related news, our equipment manager needs to be fired ASAP for issuing Adams with the number 35. Same number, same pitiful result. That number should be banned from use for anyone that might field punt or kick returns.
Share 49ersWebzone