LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 432 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Originally posted by HessianDud:
its kind of sad that we expect our players to be absolutely perfect and our opponents to be total chumps. There's a lot of great players in the league making great plays every game. Sometimes those plays are made against your team. Why do we have to blame our players instead of praising the other teams players? That's just dumb.

Dunbar made a great play on the deflection, Colston made a great play on that last long reception. Not a whole lot you can do but give credit to the world champs there.

Exactly. That second INT was just a great play by Dunbar, which unfortunately fell right to another defender. Brees had a couple passes deflected last night, but just had the good fortune to not have them land right in a defender's hands. I think a supernatural force was out to get us last night.

If you had never seen Alex play before, there is no way in hell you would possibly give him a D. He really looked like an elite quarterback last night in all aspects.
What you guys need to do is give props to the Offense Line...that was the most time I have ever seen Alex get back there...
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by boast:
C

The int's cost the game and they were both his fault.

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

Its the QBs job to find the proper passing lanes.
Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.

Yes true but it is the QB's responsibility to make sure he put enough arch on the ball so a jumping linebacker can not touch it.
Go look at the film. Dunbar SKIED to reach that pass. Crabtree was even jumping up in anticipation. You can't arch a ball on a short timing play like that.

At some point you just have to give the defense credit for disguising the coverage very well and making a big-time play. Staley was doing his best to stay engaged but Dunbar made a great play.

We can blame Smith for the first pick on a bad throw, but the second one was just good defense.

Alexcuses, Alexcuses is all here for this loser of a QB we have.

I dont care what the blocking scheme was, its the QB's responsibility to make sure that ball does not get hit like that.

Ever ask yourself how come stuff like this always happens to Alex.

troll much?

Closing in on 17,000 x's

Why am I a troll because I think Smith sucks ?

cuz your posts suck

Its not posts that you guys hate, its my opinion because it doesn't agree with yours.

its not even that, its the fact that you go into every thread and post about how much Alex sucks and yadda yadda. I know you do it just to rile people up which you have said before but still

I believe thats called trolling.

How is it trolling, this thread was about grading Smith's performance.

I gave the guy a fair grade, I gave him a C. It was definitely not a A or B performance.

Some people just get their feeling hurts because they have a man crush on him.

A C is average. He had 2 int's but led us on 3 scoring drives and 22 points, tiled the game with 1 min to go. He was on his way to another scoring drive when Walker fumbled. If those 2 short runs for TD's were short TD passes from Alex, his numbers would look better with 3td's and 2 int's. It was better than average showing by smith, he had us tied with the Champs with 1 min to go.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
I gave him a B. That poorly thrown ball to Gore was quite costly and inexcusable. That is the second week in a row where he was way off target on a very short route. It seems obvious at this point in his career that he struggles with the short throws, and hopefully he can get that problem fixed.

Both INTs' were tipped by Defenders.

Therefore I gave him an A since NOTHING rattled him. He had guys in his Backfield a couple of times and he either stepped up and delivered or he got yards on his feet,threw the ball away or found the checkdown. All things that he was severely criticized for not doing.

~Ceadder

Ceadder has several good points. There are things that the Saints did last night that would have rattled the old Alex Smith.

This year's edition wasn't even phased. If anything -- he got stronger from his mistakes. That's new.

If anything? That game tying TD and two-point toss to Vernon showed me his true capability as not just an NFL QB -- but a QB who can stare into the face of adversity with less than two minutes on the clock and zero timeouts and still get the job done.

This is a quality that I had not witnessed out of Alex before. I hope it's not a one-time deal.

Steve Young rarely -- if ever -- rallied the 49ers to 4th quarter victories. That was the biggest thing that separated Young from Joe Montana. With Joe? You were never out of a game. He was the King of Comebacks. But Steve? The Niners had better be up by 7-to-10 points -- otherwise we were heading for a loss.

Last night we were down by eight with no timeouts and less than two minutes on the clock.

Alex didn't fold. I liked that.
C

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.

Yes true but it is the QB's responsibility to make sure he put enough arch on the ball so a jumping linebacker can not touch it.
Go look at the film. Dunbar SKIED to reach that pass. Crabtree was even jumping up in anticipation. You can't arch a ball on a short timing play like that.

At some point you just have to give the defense credit for disguising the coverage very well and making a big-time play. Staley was doing his best to stay engaged but Dunbar made a great play.

We can blame Smith for the first pick on a bad throw, but the second one was just good defense.

I dont care what the blocking scheme was, its the QB's responsibility to make sure that ball does not get hit like that.

troll much?

Closing in on 17,000 x's

you're hopeless, forget it i give up.
Originally posted by cNiner:
D , we will see how all of you hang on his nuts when we play KC and plays like he played like seattle game and the D won't bail his ass out !

Tell this clown to jump into traffic.
Originally posted by nyc49erking:
Originally posted by cNiner:
D , we will see how all of you hang on his nuts when we play KC and plays like he played like seattle game and the D won't bail his ass out !

Tell this clown to jump into traffic.

they're just upset cuz they were expecting him to implode against the champs on monday night.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by pd24:
C

the first one, yes.

troll much?

Closing in on 17,000 x's

cuz your posts suck

Its not posts that you guys hate, its my opinion because it doesn't agree with yours.

its not even that, its the fact that you go into every thread and post about how much Alex sucks and yadda yadda. I know you do it just to rile people up which you have said before but still

I gave the guy a fair grade, I gave him a C. It was definitely not a A or B performance.

A C is average. He had 2 int's but led us on 3 scoring drives and 22 points, tiled the game with 1 min to go. He was on his way to another scoring drive when Walker fumbled. If those 2 short runs for TD's were short TD passes from Alex, his numbers would look better with 3td's and 2 int's. It was better than average showing by smith, he had us tied with the Champs with 1 min to go.

I agree with all that you are saying but the two Int's knocked down his grade from a B to a C.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
C

the first one, yes.

troll much?

Closing in on 17,000 x's

cuz your posts suck

I agree with all that you are saying but the two Int's knocked down his grade from a B to a C.

Thats fine, but I can't give a C to a guy who was clearly playing above average ball last night. A guy that responded after every mistake, either his own mistakes, or someone else making a mistake. He took the team and drove down field after every mistake.
Alright, so we have many B's and many A's, several C's and some idiot(s) who chose a D. Let's break down Alex's performance into good and bad shall we?

Bad - So he had 2 picks right? Yes, I agree they were not his fault but nonetheless they were costly. He had a couple throws that people did not approve of, leading his WR too far or throwing it behind him. And maybe he will consider how that ball might get tipped by the DL's on different teams so he'll start adjusting where and when he throws the ball. Everyone saw how vital a tip on the ball is, if anyone remembers, Alex would have had 3 picks if that DL was able to reach it and how did he have a chance to? because the ball got tipped.

Good - So I'm not aware of his numbers but, we all witnessed a fantastic game out of him as compared to what we've seen in the past right? So he had a lot of great completions to VD, 1 to Crabs, and Morgan who stepped up big time. Everyone saw that he made smart decisions and decided to scramble instead of throwing a bad pass and people have forgotten how athletic he is, not anywhere near Vick but, far from Russel. He has capabilities. Overall Alex had a great game and I gave him an A because he did pretty much all he could to try and get us that W. He also showed us a little bit of how clutch he can be.

Needless to say, I am excited to see what he can do for the rest of the season. We just played the super bowl champs, I'm pretty sure we can have a great season if we take all the positives from this game and apply them to the rest.

[ Edited by rEspEctdA49ers on Sep 21, 2010 at 12:01:01 ]

Havent been a huge Smith fan but he gets a solid B+ for his performance last night. It would have been an A if not for the first pick where he made a poor throw. The 2nd pick simply wasnt his fault.

Smith showed that he could throw with accuracy for the most part and used his legs when he needed to to get key yardage. Very solid effort.
C

Another foolish comment...Susweel new name should be "s**tstains"
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Here is my problem when these grading polls come out. If some many people give Alex an A for week 2.

What would you give these guys....

Schaub, Cutler, Rivers, Sanchez, McNabb, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Orton, Vick and Ryan
?????

By many of your standards, you should be giving nearly 50% of the QB's an A every week.

That doesn't seem like you are being critical enough.

But of course this is Homerism, I am sure many of you will find many many faults in the guys above listed game 2 performances

I could give a Rat's furry ass about the other guys Danimal. I would still give Alex the A based on what he did all game long.

Without that pesky Delay of Game penalty brought about by Davis's loss of focus Alex would have once again carved up the Saints like a turkey.

ANd this is not Homerism on my part. This is Smith not doing this before over a whole game and imho, it was indeed worthy of an A. Since there is no -/+ grade in the options then I gotta give him an A. If there were I would take into consideration the 2 turnovers and downgrade for them even though in this case shat happens and give him an A- overall. Since there isn't, anything less than an A is not indicative of what he did on the field.

~Ceadder

Not giving a Rats furry ass about how well your competitors do is EXACTLY how you get on a 7 year playoff drought.

So maybe you should start caring

I edited my original post and now listed 13 QB's who played better than Alex last week, at least debatably or statistically speaking. And 10 of those guys won their games.

Thats the problem with Alex supporters. I have been saying this for years. You guys don't pay enough attention to the other QB's in the world. There are, were and will be better options for the Niners. That is if you can let go. Which the Niners can't, and some fans can't. Which is why they deserve to lose.

The goal is to outplay those other guys you don't give a rats furry ass about.

Bravo!!!
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
I am just providing context.

Alex's performance was no better than almost half of the QB's in week 2.

So I won't argue if you want to give him an A. Just know that an A may not look that impressive anymore.

I grade on a curve. And he gets a B- from me.

For the record, if he had a B- game every week. I would never want him replaced. So a B- in my book is still very good. I just don't like to diminish what an A should be reserved for.

thats all.

I guess A stands for improvement now days.

We shouldn't give an A for last night. Like you said, it was a b- (id say b) performance and if he performed that well consistently, we have our qb for the future.

Still not an A though. If that's an A, what do we give him when he looks good throwing a TD with no picks in a win? How about when he looks dominant throwing for 300+ yards, 3TDs, and 0 picks in a win? We're gonna give him the same grade for those type of performances as last nights performance? I just can't do it.

thank you. And you posed it better than I. That is the better question to ask those who gave him an A.

Its like the California school teachers around here.....everyone gets an A.

I still think of an A as exceptional.

Ditto!!!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
C

the first one, yes.

troll much?

Closing in on 17,000 x's

cuz your posts suck

Thats fine, but I can't give a C to a guy who was clearly playing above average ball last night. A guy that responded after every mistake, either his own mistakes, or someone else making a mistake. He took the team and drove down field after every mistake.

So whats your grade for him ?
Share 49ersWebzone