Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Compared to Alex Smith, Alex Smith's play was an A+.

Compared to a Drew Brees, his grade was a A

Compared to a Peyton Manning, his play was an F.

Compared to Joe Montana, F

Compared to Steve Young, F

Compared to Jeff Garcia, C.

Compared to Tim Rattay, an A.

As you can see, Niner fans think Smith has finally arrived.

Other than the two INTs', Smith had a MUCH better day throwing the ball than Brees.

Smith went deep and the balls were caught.

Brees was off the mark on the times he did go deep.

Smith hit his Intermediate targets, Brees had ONE catch in that Range.

Smith had the two short yard Interceptions off of tipped Passes. One of which should have dropped harmlessly to the turf.

Nobody thinks Smith has arrived. We just want to give credit where it's due.

I got tired of your wet blanket act and tossed it in the dryer. You can have it back when the buzzer sounds. I was even nice enough to drop a couple softener sheets in with it so you won't have anything more to complain about.

Okilee dokilee?

~Ceadder

If you ask any Saints fan what they would grade Brees's play on Monday night, Im sure no one would crown him the way you guys crowned Smith. He had a pretty bad day, and thats saying a lot for a guy that had ZERO turnovers and led his team for a gamewinning drive in less than 90 seconds.

As others have pointed out, you guys have become so enamored with Alex Smith that you only compare him to....well.........Alex Smith. You're more impressed with his play because he did what he usually doesnt do. He made some good plays, and led a decent final drive......of course, his players had to bail him out a few times when he threw some high passes, etc. but that seems to be lost in the conversation.

The point is that somewhere along the line you people need to stop comparing Alex Smith 2010 to Alex Smith 2005, Alex Smith 2006, Alex Smith 2008, and Alex Smith 2009. If you're gonna paint a playoff picture in the NFC, the quarterbacks that the Niners will be facing are:

Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo (maybe)
Donovan McNabb (maybe)
Matt Ryan
Brett Favre
Michael Vick
Eli Manning (maybe)

If you had to compare Smith to any one of those guys at this point of his career, knowing that he is a 6th year veteran that was drafted number 1 overall, where exactly would you place him amongst those guys ?

Yeah, exactly...........

IT'S A THREAD RATING ALEX SMITH TO... *GASP*... ALEX SMITH!!!!

Being only two games into the season it's a bit premature to rate him comparatively to EVERYBODY ELSE.

So OF COURSE we're going to rate him high because over the last 6 years he has shown glimpses but nothing like this. Holy crap, man don't you EVER stop whining?

Which high passes are you referring to? The ones that the Jaws and Gruden pointed out him putting it up so only THE RECEIVER can get it? I guess Steve has been retired too long cause he used to do that A LOT and I bet you were kissing his azz about it too.

But, let me state yet AGAIN, this thread is titled "RATE SMITH'S PERFORMANCE". Do you get it yet?

"RATE SMITH'S PERFORMANCE"

How bout now?

Is it beginning to take yet?

Making a dent in that thick melon on the top of your shoulders yet?

Oh wait maybe you don't understand what this entails exactly

You take the peformance of one ALEX SMITH AND COMPARE IT TO *OHHHHHHHHHH* ONE ALEX SMITH.

So have you got it yet? Do I have to dumb it down FURTHER for you or you think you can cope now?

Geezus man how much more obtuse can any one man be.

Nobody is saying MVP. We're RATING SMITH based on SMITH. DUH!

~Ceadder

OWNED

If you subscribe to tunnel vision and nonsensical logic....i guess he got owned.....but imo Ceadder just made himself look foolish. After two games why not compare Alex to other proffesionals in the NFL. I mean comparisons are usually made to ones peers. If Ceadder doesn;t feel Alex is a peer to guys like Brady and Manning then I would agree, cause those guys are light years diffence in ragard to their jobs.

How the hell can you compare one to himself and expect to get a comparison? Compare usually means to take object A: (Alex) and then compare it to object B: (Alex again? ) and then identify the difference.

Quote:
We're RATING SMITH based on SMITH. DUH

Is like saying "We're comparing Ferrari's to Ferrari's when talking about Sports cars DUH"

See it makes absolutely no sense. Alex Smith looked good this last weekend if you compare him to his career of suck, but compared to successful QB's in the league it was a down game and NOTHING any of their fans would be pleased with, and THAT is the only friken comparison that matters in the long run.

How does Smith compare to successful QB's? Thats how he should be "Rated" not against his career of suck.

So I guess that Steve Young knows less than you do about playing QB, Gruden also said he looked as good as a QB could. Man you are awesome!

Links to quotes or it didn't happen, but IF Gruden really said that, he must have been drunk or high.

Alex Smith has NEVER looked as good as a QB can, and any Niners fan knows this. We have seen QB's look as good as they can wearing our jersey and Smith has NEVER EVER looked good as Young or Montana....hell he's never looked as good as Jeff the duck thrower Garcia for christs sake.....
Timeout! I'm an idiot but how do you provide links to a quote to something that was said on TV?
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Other than the two INTs', Smith had a MUCH better day throwing the ball than Brees.

Smith had the two short yard Interceptions off of tipped Passes. One of which should have dropped harmlessly to the turf.

I got tired of your wet blanket act and tossed it in the dryer. You can have it back when the buzzer sounds. I was even nice enough to drop a couple softener sheets in with it so you won't have anything more to complain about.

Okilee dokilee?

~Ceadder

If you ask any Saints fan what they would grade Brees's play on Monday night, Im sure no one would crown him the way you guys crowned Smith. He had a pretty bad day, and thats saying a lot for a guy that had ZERO turnovers and led his team for a gamewinning drive in less than 90 seconds.

As others have pointed out, you guys have become so enamored with Alex Smith that you only compare him to....well.........Alex Smith. You're more impressed with his play because he did what he usually doesnt do. He made some good plays, and led a decent final drive......of course, his players had to bail him out a few times when he threw some high passes, etc. but that seems to be lost in the conversation.

The point is that somewhere along the line you people need to stop comparing Alex Smith 2010 to Alex Smith 2005, Alex Smith 2006, Alex Smith 2008, and Alex Smith 2009. If you're gonna paint a playoff picture in the NFC, the quarterbacks that the Niners will be facing are:

Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo (maybe)
Donovan McNabb (maybe)
Matt Ryan
Brett Favre
Michael Vick
Eli Manning (maybe)

If you had to compare Smith to any one of those guys at this point of his career, knowing that he is a 6th year veteran that was drafted number 1 overall, where exactly would you place him amongst those guys ?

Yeah, exactly...........

Being only two games into the season it's a bit premature to rate him comparatively to EVERYBODY ELSE.

So OF COURSE we're going to rate him high because over the last 6 years he has shown glimpses but nothing like this. Holy crap, man don't you EVER stop whining?

Which high passes are you referring to? The ones that the Jaws and Gruden pointed out him putting it up so only THE RECEIVER can get it? I guess Steve has been retired too long cause he used to do that A LOT and I bet you were kissing his azz about it too.

But, let me state yet AGAIN, this thread is titled "RATE SMITH'S PERFORMANCE". Do you get it yet?

How bout now?

You take the peformance of one ALEX SMITH AND COMPARE IT TO *OHHHHHHHHHH* ONE ALEX SMITH.

So have you got it yet? Do I have to dumb it down FURTHER for you or you think you can cope now?

~Ceadder

OWNED

If you subscribe to tunnel vision and nonsensical logic....i guess he got owned.....but imo Ceadder just made himself look foolish. After two games why not compare Alex to other proffesionals in the NFL. I mean comparisons are usually made to ones peers. If Ceadder doesn;t feel Alex is a peer to guys like Brady and Manning then I would agree, cause those guys are light years diffence in ragard to their jobs.

How the hell can you compare one to himself and expect to get a comparison? Compare usually means to take object A: (Alex) and then compare it to object B: (Alex again? ) and then identify the difference.

Quote:

Is like saying "We're comparing Ferrari's to Ferrari's when talking about Sports cars DUH"

See it makes absolutely no sense. Alex Smith looked good this last weekend if you compare him to his career of suck, but compared to successful QB's in the league it was a down game and NOTHING any of their fans would be pleased with, and THAT is the only friken comparison that matters in the long run.

How does Smith compare to successful QB's? Thats how he should be "Rated" not against his career of suck.

So I guess that Steve Young knows less than you do about playing QB, Gruden also said he looked as good as a QB could. Man you are awesome!

Career football professionals aint got nothing on internet forum amateurs!

The posters that point out Young and Gruden's comments are the same guys that thought Steve had "lost his mind" and "didnt know football" when he called out Smith for not being able to play under center last season. They also attacked Young when he criticized Smith a couple years back. Hell, they jumped on Rice when he proclaimed Alex a bust 3 years ago.

I find it ironic that Memphis is quick to point out Young/Gruden's praise of Smith, when he's usually one of the first to label analysts as "duds" and "tools" when they label Smith as a bust.

So at least you admit that they were praising him...that is a step in the right direction. As far as labeling anyone dud or tools, I don't use either of those terms, so I am calling you a liar. Hell man you are the biggest bust around here, I think I will call you Dolly Parton from now on.

All these Anti Smith vs. Pro Smith is seriously giving me a head ache. Simmer down folks...

Simmer down....

Originally posted by lazy:

Okilee dokilee?

~Ceadder

Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo (maybe)
Donovan McNabb (maybe)
Matt Ryan
Brett Favre
Michael Vick
Eli Manning (maybe)

Yeah, exactly...........

How bout now?

~Ceadder

OWNED

Quote:

Links to quotes or it didn't happen, but IF Gruden really said that, he must have been drunk or high.

Alex Smith has NEVER looked as good as a QB can, and any Niners fan knows this. We have seen QB's look as good as they can wearing our jersey and Smith has NEVER EVER looked good as Young or Montana....hell he's never looked as good as Jeff the duck thrower Garcia for christs sake.....
Timeout! I'm an idiot but how do you provide links to a quote to something that was said on TV?

Talking heads on TV are regularly quoted, it's pretty much a common occurance.
Share 49ersWebzone