LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Holy sh*t, people are actually giving him D's in here. I am now convinced that there are people in here rooting for Alex to fail. I can't even fathom how anyone can give him a lower than a B-.

He showed good pocket presence, was making good intermediate and short range throws (other than his bad pass to Gore), led the team on a 4th quarter game-tying drive and conversion while calling his own plays, showed excellent mobility, and took what the D gave him and basically carved them up all night. I would give him a B+. I haven't felt this hopeful about him since the Thursday night game in Seattle back in 2006.
  • dj43
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by boast:
C

The int's cost the game and they were both his fault.

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

Its the QBs job to find the proper passing lanes.
Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.

Yes true but it is the QB's responsibility to make sure he put enough arch on the ball so a jumping linebacker can not touch it.
Go look at the film. Dunbar SKIED to reach that pass. Crabtree was even jumping up in anticipation. You can't arch a ball on a short timing play like that.

At some point you just have to give the defense credit for disguising the coverage very well and making a big-time play. Staley was doing his best to stay engaged but Dunbar made a great play.

We can blame Smith for the first pick on a bad throw, but the second one was just good defense.

Alexcuses, Alexcuses is all here for this loser of a QB we have.

I dont care what the blocking scheme was, its the QB's responsibility to make sure that ball does not get hit like that.

Ever ask yourself how come stuff like this always happens to Alex.
Peyton had two passes batted down on Sunday and so did Eli. Brees had two knocked down last night. It isn't JUST Smith that has passes tipped and batted down. That is part of football. It happens to everyone.

As I said, if you want to criticize him, rip him for the first pick but the second was just football.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by danimal:
C

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.

Yes true but it is the QB's responsibility to make sure he put enough arch on the ball so a jumping linebacker can not touch it.
Go look at the film. Dunbar SKIED to reach that pass. Crabtree was even jumping up in anticipation. You can't arch a ball on a short timing play like that.

At some point you just have to give the defense credit for disguising the coverage very well and making a big-time play. Staley was doing his best to stay engaged but Dunbar made a great play.

We can blame Smith for the first pick on a bad throw, but the second one was just good defense.

I dont care what the blocking scheme was, its the QB's responsibility to make sure that ball does not get hit like that.

Hell No. The Alex supporters are famous for only wanting to argue individual plays. The concept of an accumulation of these debatable fiascoes equaling something goes over their head.

Yes and they also want to completely forget about the negative plays or find some other factors to blame them on.

I could just imagine news headline.

"Alex Smith stabs a man to death"

Alex lover's reactions:

He ran into Alex's knife.

He was blocked into Alex's knife.

The man deserved it.

Its so funny that its sad.
  • dj43
Originally posted by maximill15:
Smith:
First half C. Missed gore wide, causing the tipped ball, leading to a int!
Missed VD wide open, threw the ball behind him or 3rd down.

Throwing that second int in traffic and causing it to get tipped in the redzone. Just seemed like he was pressing and throwing it too hard!

Second half- A.
Made some great throws and runs, crabtree should of caught that pass, great 2 min drive. Only prob was we left too much time on the clock!

On a side note: I dont get why we don't dial up the post to VD more often. It can't be defended! Also, I sure hope we didnt take crabtree in the 1st round to be only throw to, what twice? The guy is a play maker, give him the damn ball!!
He missed all of TC with a questionable neck injury. Now it will take time for him to adjust to the timing of plays. He has a lot of talent but the subtle adjustments of reading defenses and making the correct adjustment will take some time. The one catch he made in the 4th quarter was excellent. However, he was running into an open area. Last week in Seattle he short-armed a pass that was well thrown but he was clearly avoiding contact by stopping on the route.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Here is my problem when these grading polls come out. If some many people give Alex an A for week 2.

What would you give these guys....

Schaub, Cutler, Rivers, Sanchez, McNabb, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Orton, Vick and Ryan
?????

By many of your standards, you should be giving nearly 50% of the QB's an A every week.

That doesn't seem like you are being critical enough.

But of course this is Homerism, I am sure many of you will find many many faults in the guys above listed game 2 performances

I could give a Rat's furry ass about the other guys Danimal. I would still give Alex the A based on what he did all game long.

Without that pesky Delay of Game penalty brought about by Davis's loss of focus Alex would have once again carved up the Saints like a turkey.

ANd this is not Homerism on my part. This is Smith not doing this before over a whole game and imho, it was indeed worthy of an A. Since there is no -/+ grade in the options then I gotta give him an A. If there were I would take into consideration the 2 turnovers and downgrade for them even though in this case shat happens and give him an A- overall. Since there isn't, anything less than an A is not indicative of what he did on the field.

~Ceadder

Not giving a Rats furry ass about how well your competitors do is EXACTLY how you get on a 7 year playoff drought.

So maybe you should start caring

I edited my original post and now listed 13 QB's who played better than Alex last week, at least debatably or statistically speaking. And 10 of those guys won their games.

Thats the problem with Alex supporters. I have been saying this for years. You guys don't pay enough attention to the other QB's in the world. There are, were and will be better options for the Niners. That is if you can let go. Which the Niners can't, and some fans can't. Which is why they deserve to lose.

The goal is to outplay those other guys you don't give a rats furry ass about.

Yeah, we've been losing for years because fans like Ceadder need to start caring about other teams' QBs. This is one of the least intelligent things ever.
Originally posted by Five4Five:
Holy sh*t, people are actually giving him D's in here. I am now convinced that there are people in here rooting for Alex to fail. I can't even fathom how anyone can give him a lower than a B-.

He showed good pocket presence, was making good intermediate and short range throws (other than his bad pass to Gore), led the team on a 4th quarter game-tying drive and conversion while calling his own plays, showed excellent mobility, and took what the D gave him and basically carved them up all night. I would give him a B+. I haven't felt this hopeful about him since the Thursday night game in Seattle back in 2006.

Welcome to the zone.
C

the first one, yes.

Hell No. The Alex supporters are famous for only wanting to argue individual plays. The concept of an accumulation of these debatable fiascoes equaling something goes over their head.

Yes and they also want to completely forget about the negative plays or find some other factors to blame them on.

Alex lover's reactions:

The man deserved it.

Whats your excuse for changing your name to Mclovin? You have absolutely no credibility on this board whatever.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
It was gritty. He kept playing and put the mistakes behind him quickly and kept moving forward. The team made 5 mistakes, and Alex kept going, getting us the lead, and then coming back and tying the game and coverting a 2 point conversion. That was a different guy than I have seen in the past, like he said I don't care what just happened, i just need to go play football.
C

the first one, yes.

Alex lover's reactions:

The man deserved it.

I'm a huge Smith critic as well, but he played well yesterday. He threw two costly picks...but for the first time in my life, I think I'm gonna give him a break on one of the interceptions (second one).
A-

He drove us down and got us not only the TD in the clutch. He got us the two point conversion in a critical moment. He had one bad pass that unfortunately, Gore's tipping of the ball changed the trajectory enough for it to be picked.

Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Here is my problem when these grading polls come out. If some many people give Alex an A for week 2.

What would you give these guys....

Schaub, Cutler, Rivers, Sanchez, McNabb, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Orton, Vick and Ryan
?????

By many of your standards, you should be giving nearly 50% of the QB's an A every week.

That doesn't seem like you are being critical enough.

But of course this is Homerism, I am sure many of you will find many many faults in the guys above listed game 2 performances

I could give a Rat's furry ass about the other guys Danimal. I would still give Alex the A based on what he did all game long.

Without that pesky Delay of Game penalty brought about by Davis's loss of focus Alex would have once again carved up the Saints like a turkey.

ANd this is not Homerism on my part. This is Smith not doing this before over a whole game and imho, it was indeed worthy of an A. Since there is no -/+ grade in the options then I gotta give him an A. If there were I would take into consideration the 2 turnovers and downgrade for them even though in this case shat happens and give him an A- overall. Since there isn't, anything less than an A is not indicative of what he did on the field.

~Ceadder

Not giving a Rats furry ass about how well your competitors do is EXACTLY how you get on a 7 year playoff drought.

So maybe you should start caring

I edited my original post and now listed 13 QB's who played better than Alex last week, at least debatably or statistically speaking. And 10 of those guys won their games.

Thats the problem with Alex supporters. I have been saying this for years. You guys don't pay enough attention to the other QB's in the world. There are, were and will be better options for the Niners. That is if you can let go. Which the Niners can't, and some fans can't. Which is why they deserve to lose.

The goal is to outplay those other guys you don't give a rats furry ass about.

Yeah, we've been losing for years because fans like Ceadder need to start caring about other teams' QBs. This is one of the least intelligent things ever.

lol, you can either guess who I was implying should have cared more...cough John York, Jed York, Mike Nolan, Mcloughlan, Sing, Trent cough........or you could just keep thinking THAT is the least intelligent thing ever.

Have fun with your decision
one thing that i saw from him that we all bag on is him showing some kind of fire. after walker's fumble, they showed alex pissed. only once, did i see him shrug his shoulders and dip his head-and that was on the bad snap for a safety. it's still a "B" performance in my book, but hopefully he can improve on last night's game and get better. improvement is all we should be looking for right now-NOT the second coming of joe.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I'm a huge Smith critic as well, but he played well yesterday. He threw two costly picks...but for the first time in my life, I think I'm gonna give him a break on one of the interceptions (second one).
NOOOoooooooo Leather

Dont crossover to the darkside.
Overall he did a really good job!! He was very accurate in very windy conditions, while Brees looked average at best. When he has more than 5 secs left on the play clock, he can operate this offense like it needs to be. Needs to limit the turnovers and improve how he plays on the road though. In fact, the whole team needs to improve their road play. I'll give him a B because of the 2 turnovers. Easy A without those....

Once we get the turnovers taken care of, our team will start to dominate. Time of possession will wear on opposing D's and give our D plenty of rest. You can feel it close to coming together, but they just have to Do It!!!
Originally posted by TDilvr:
C

When will the hatred end? Now ur just being a/an ______< insert adjective here.

Just call it like I see it.

Bottom line is that we lost and boy wonder still threw two Int's.

When your vision is clouded by bias and hatred then it's difficult to get a grasp on anything. It's also difficult to be taken seriously.

Breeze had more blocked/tipped passes than Smith last night. I'll pin 1 INT on him but the other was a an excellent play by the D. Kinda like Moss's excellent one handed grab to save his QB's bacon on an overthrown TD pass. Was that really a great throw by Brady?

For the sake of argument I'll give you your 2 INT's. YOu say that's what cost us the game. Okay then if you reserve the right to take away those then I reserve the right to take away all of the other f-ups in the game. VD's lack of concentration to open up the 2nd half, Baas's errant hike and Lee's punt afterwards, Delanie's fumble in the Red Zone and Adam's fumble. You take away those f-ups and this game wouldn't have been that close.

Keep it real, friend. You just look foolish and prideful at this point.

I'm not giving Alex an A but he deserves a B. His play even with the 2 INTs was good enough for us to win.
Share 49ersWebzone