There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by danimal:
I am just providing context.

Alex's performance was no better than almost half of the QB's in week 2.

So I won't argue if you want to give him an A. Just know that an A may not look that impressive anymore.

I grade on a curve. And he gets a B- from me.

For the record, if he had a B- game every week. I would never want him replaced. So a B- in my book is still very good. I just don't like to diminish what an A should be reserved for.

thats all.

I guess A stands for improvement now days.

We shouldn't give an A for last night. Like you said, it was a b- (id say b) performance and if he performed that well consistently, we have our qb for the future.

Still not an A though. If that's an A, what do we give him when he looks good throwing a TD with no picks in a win? How about when he looks dominant throwing for 300+ yards, 3TDs, and 0 picks in a win? We're gonna give him the same grade for those type of performances as last nights performance? I just can't do it.

thank you. And you posed it better than I. That is the better question to ask those who gave him an A.

Its like the California school teachers around here.....everyone gets an A.

I still think of an A as exceptional.
I would give an A simply because of the way he responded to the bad start. I don't think he's ever had a 71% completion percentage. First INT was all smith, but his short throws the rest of the night were spot on, he was making adjustments at the line and rose to the occasion when it counted. It's not his fault delanie sucks. The second INT was a better play by the Saints Dline.

The fact is that Smith, and the team, have not responded to early failure in a game like the way they did last night. We had not seen resilience like that in several years. And the fact that they put up 417 total yards even with 4 turnovers against them is great.

Overall, B+. The Defense gets a B+, A if they stopped the saints on the last drive. F for delanie.

[ Edited by darkknight49 on Sep 21, 2010 at 10:12:23 ]
Originally posted by 49ersking:
His QB rating was 80+ something. That would put him at C or C+

I think he played great compared to the Alex Smith of the past.

I have a hard time faulting him for both picks. If you calculate his QB rate with only 1 pick it comes out to 95... That's a "B" IMO; but; I agree he looked better than he has ever looked as an NFL QB.

Lets hope he can keep it up!
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by susweel:
C

The int's cost the game and they were both his fault.

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

Its the QBs job to find the proper passing lanes.
I think this was his most complete game thus far and by the standards we've come to expect from him, an A would not be out of the question. However, the one int off of Gore was his fault all the way, with that high, but short, pass. Plus, he had what, 2 or 3 others batted down and though they were completed, made it tougher for his receivers to catch others. So, while I think, not an A, I'd give him a solid B for everything else positive he did in the game. I'm certainly encouraged by his performance and hope he can sustain a level of consistency (and continued improvement) that we have not seen thus far. Go Alex, I'm pulling for you!
A-

pretty much made all the throws except the first INT, typical bad high throw

2nd INT was just a great play by the saints LB

mixed it up when he scrambled, went left at least a couple times
C

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

you should probably look at the blocking scheme laid out and see the that his what i would call "tri" passing lane was there and that is where he threw, it the defender disengaged and made a great play while being blocked, learn about what you are saying before you speak.
C

the first one, yes.

The lane was wide open until the defender dropped back into coverage. Are you just trying to start s**t up? The first INT was all on Alex but that second one was just a nice defensive play and a nice play call by the Saints

That lineman started out like he was gonna rush Smith but dropped back into coverage at the last second and put his hand up. Joe Staley couldnt do much because you cant block downfield cuz then he would have been an ineligible player downfield
  • dj43
  • Veteran
C

the first one, yes.

Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I gave him a "B" and I will take that type performance any game.
Who gives a crap about A, B, C etc.?

Did he have the best game ever? No. Was that his worst game? No. Did we win? No.

The grade is going to be skewed anyway because the people who hate Smith and EVERYTHING he does will ALWAYS feel that way. It'll never F'n change! He could play the rest of the season with a 70% completion rate and two touchdowns a game and people will STILL say we should have drafted ____!

Oh, by the way, I gave him a B.

[ Edited by FILTHpigskin on Sep 21, 2010 at 10:27:04 ]
Originally posted by dj43:
C

the first one, yes.

Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.

Yes true but it is the QB's responsibility to make sure he put enough arch on the ball so a jumping linebacker can not touch it.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
I thought he made a very smart play when he slapped the ball out of the end zone for a safety instead of trying to fall on it. If I counted right, he started 4 drives inside his 20 that went inside their 30. That's very hard to do against a good team like the Saints. Delanie Walker F, Philip Adams F, David Bass D, Alex Smith A or B, I won't quibble.

I would give Baas a C+ because of the bad snap. He did a very good job adjusting blocking assignments and did a good job of controlling a quick and big NT in Ayodele. Take away the bad snap and he was an A.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
I don't give a s**t about his performance last night, or the week before. He gets my grade at the end of the season. Until then, he better play his ass of next week at Arrowhead.
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Originally posted by LivFreeOrdIHrd9r:
I will give him an A- because at least one of those interceptions were bs and the other one was just bad luck. Other than that he threw the ball with accuracy and lead receivers with his throws. That is BIG because I have always criticized him for throwing balls behind his receiver. This rather redundant but he did come through when he needed to. It really did not surprise me when he came back at the end. He did it before in 2007 against the Cards on MNF. Without the Turnovers he has his best game of his 6-year career in my mind.

I think an A is a bit much... I'll say B- tops! He didn't set the world on fire he just (for the first time) played like an NFL QB! The early pass to Gore was an extension of last weeks high and stupid routine. He still lacks as a leader and has some fundamental problems but this is still far and away his best performance - with lots of room for improvement! Don't let the bar being so lowered distort your vision. He played well but then again isn't he supposed to???

Dirty

For the first time? Uh, ok?!

He lacks as a leader? He's been more of a leader so far this year than any other year. Not sure how you can say that other than you simply don't like him.

I give him a solid B. The interception off of Gore's hand was poorly thrown, but I do recall seeing plenty of one handed catches this past weekend. The second one was just a good play by the defender. Quick slants are succeptable to being batted down, or in this case, up. Tough break. He made plays when he had to, throwing and running. Those of you that gave him D's, get real. Those of you that gave him A's, get real too. He played well for the most part, but the simple throw to Gore he missed knocks him down to a B from me.