There are 180 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coach Singletary Thread (General Topics)

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by alexsmith:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Personally, he wasn't rude at all; he was direct and very clear. The reporter was the one who moved on from question to question.

Reporter asked how they will "try" to stop Brees. Singletary corrected him by saying they won't try, they will. The reporter could have went into more detailed questions about that if he knew a thing about football and planning but he got scared.

What do you expect, it's the Bay Area who are majority liberal and sensitive to everything in this planet.

Like Al Davis said about Californians and how East Coast personalities deal with them: We dominate em.

His directness translates to rudeness - no matter how slice it or dice it.

He was rude and defensive and very unprofessional.

Whether it was rude or not I guess doesn't seem to be the issue for me - was it SMART should be the question.

Swagger is great when you can back it up. My problem is that until now, this team really hasn't proven s**t in terms of being able to beat a top tier team. Yes I know we've come close and we almostshoulddawoulddacouldda, but that's not a win.

Does what he said help his team win or gives your opponent more incentive to play harder against you. I know some have said "who f**king cares what the Saints think" and that's somewhat true, but if I'm a smart fighter, I don't try to motivate the other team by saying dumb s**t.

And that's the core of all that's happened over the past week... have what the 49ers been doing SMART? It's the totality of decisions thus far that have brought us to this point. Was it smart to give vets so many days off? Was it smart with players clearly having a problem with Crabtree missing practice time/preseason games smart resulting in your team captain exposing an "elephant" in the room? Was it smart to wait until the 1st game, a divisional game to let the communication issues sort themselves out when it was clearly a big issue in preseason? Is it smart despite offensive leaders being somewhat unhappy about the offensive scheme continue to allow Raye complete reign without suggestion? Is it smart to keep Brian f**king Westbrook on the bench for an entire game?

I am willing to give anyone time to change. I am more than willing to look at this rationally, but Singletary is starting to exhibit behavior that raises a lot of questions. The Seattle game was more an added statement IMHO, and crystalized all the smaller issues that hadn't been resolved properly and allowed to fester. The interview although direct, again it makes me question the thought process - just like a game.... is the team making smart decisions (time-outs, going for it on 4th, WRs running 1 yard routes, allowing CBs to gamble with no pass-rush, etc.).
Loving Mike Johnson everyday....

-Staunch supporter of Nate Davis
-Throwing Raye under bus
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Loving Mike Johnson everyday....

-Staunch supporter of Nate Davis
-Throwing Raye under bus

Yay yay
Yes, winning will cure everything....but right now, this team is in disarray (on and off the field), and that falls squarely on the shoulders of the head coach.
I don't give a crap about his tone in answering a question. boohoo, go cry to your mamma about his tone.

What's more important is how does what he said affect his team.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by alexsmith:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Personally, he wasn't rude at all; he was direct and very clear. The reporter was the one who moved on from question to question.

Reporter asked how they will "try" to stop Brees. Singletary corrected him by saying they won't try, they will. The reporter could have went into more detailed questions about that if he knew a thing about football and planning but he got scared.

What do you expect, it's the Bay Area who are majority liberal and sensitive to everything in this planet.

Like Al Davis said about Californians and how East Coast personalities deal with them: We dominate em.

His directness translates to rudeness - no matter how slice it or dice it.

He was rude and defensive and very unprofessional.

Whether it was rude or not I guess doesn't seem to be the issue for me - was it SMART should be the question.

Swagger is great when you can back it up. My problem is that until now, this team really hasn't proven s**t in terms of being able to beat a top tier team. Yes I know we've come close and we almostshoulddawoulddacouldda, but that's not a win.

Does what he said help his team win or gives your opponent more incentive to play harder against you. I know some have said "who f**king cares what the Saints think" and that's somewhat true, but if I'm a smart fighter, I don't try to motivate the other team by saying dumb s**t.

And that's the core of all that's happened over the past week... have what the 49ers been doing SMART? It's the totality of decisions thus far that have brought us to this point. Was it smart to give vets so many days off? Was it smart with players clearly having a problem with Crabtree missing practice time/preseason games smart resulting in your team captain exposing an "elephant" in the room? Was it smart to wait until the 1st game, a divisional game to let the communication issues sort themselves out when it was clearly a big issue in preseason? Is it smart despite offensive leaders being somewhat unhappy about the offensive scheme continue to allow Raye complete reign without suggestion? Is it smart to keep Brian f**king Westbrook on the bench for an entire game?

I am willing to give anyone time to change. I am more than willing to look at this rationally, but Singletary is starting to exhibit behavior that raises a lot of questions. The Seattle game was more an added statement IMHO, and crystalized all the smaller issues that hadn't been resolved properly and allowed to fester. The interview although direct, again it makes me question the thought process - just like a game.... is the team making smart decisions (time-outs, going for it on 4th, WRs running 1 yard routes, allowing CBs to gamble with no pass-rush, etc.).
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by danimal:
I never in a million years thought I would ever witness an NFL head coach talking about "Rats"

This Franchise is downright embarrassing.

He wasn't talking about rats except for stating that he's not going to talk about rats. He already mentioned that a rat will come out on its own and that's it.

The media is talking about rats.

lol, way to spin it. I love Sing. In about any other job in the NFL but HC or DC. He was and is a great coach to have on staff. But as an HC he is an absolute joke. Period, end o story.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
What a prick. For a guy who professes a Christian faith, that sure wasn't Jesus-like. But more than just being rude and defensive, he was also classless and unprofessional.

It's now clear that he's taken on more than he can chew as an NFL head coach, and I honestly don't see him around after this season unless we win the division. Anything less, and he's out.

Don't want to get on a tangent, but wasn't Jesus a person who told the truth, no matter how brutal. Sometimes that can be taken as rude. Singletary didn't lie to the reporter. He told him the truth of how he feels about the situation and wants to talk about other things. A guy can only say the same things so many times. The reporter should just check transcripts or previous interviews about this topic.

Is it good reporting to ask a question that has already been answered or is it better to ask a different question that may get the interviewee to reveal this issue? It was a dumb question because the exact question has been asked a number of times already.

Rather convenient to hide behind the whole "truth" thing so you can be an ass to someone who is merely asking you a question as part of his job. Look, if O'Donnell was being a jerk about it, it would be a different story....but he was just doing his job, asking about a situation that is obviously of interest to a lot of people.

Btw, the interviewee doesn't get to dictate to the reporter what can or can't be asked without coming off like an ass. If you're in the public eye and YOU AGREE to be interviewed, just be a man and answer the questions. Don't act like a little kid, like a bully trying to intimidate and demean another person...that just perpetuates the situation.

The REAL truth is (if he was REALLT being honest) very likely that someone did rat out Jimmy Raye, and that Raye isn't much of an OC, which speaks directly to Sing's judgement.

If I had to guess, this is likely the source of Singletary's anger/frustration, and not just being asked the same questions by reporters (which happens all the time).

so, let me get this straight, there's no rules on what an interviewer can ask but there are rules on how an interviewee can state an answer?

The media gets away with being rude way more often than does a person being interviewed. Yes, he agreed on the interview. That doesn't mean has isn't allowed to be stern, answer the question the way he feels like answering it and let the interviewer know that that's all he's going to get.

He didn't get personal with the interviewer and that's all that matters. Everything else done was within the scope of interviewer/interviewee dynamic.

Nice strawman.

I never said there aren't any rules for the interviewer. I even said that if O'Donnell was being a jerk or asking inappropriate questions then he would've been out of line.

But O'Donnell was just asking what everyone wants to know (and did so respectfully), and Sing simply didn't want to answer (and in the process, came across as an ass). You don't want to answer a question, coach...fine, just be a professional and say, "you know, I've already addressed it and it's water under the bridge." Coaches do that all the time when they want to avoid certain questions.

The unprofessional (and eventually unemployed) react the way Singletary did.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,152
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TX9R:
I don't really care about rude or how he is with the media, just his overall demeanor and reactions are not that of a professional coach. He comes off as extremely outdated, emotional and just not all that bright. He probably could have been good in the 60s/70s, but not in todays game. Look at the successful coaches: cerebral, innovative, X and O guys who also know how to play the media and push the right buttons with players. Singletary knows 1 button and one way of doing things. I'm guessing the team tunes him out by week 8. I am now convinced that this is not the regime that will bring success, even though the team is talented.

I would like to see a definition of how a "professional" NFL Football head coach is supposed to act. Pats coach indirectly puts down dumb questions also and will literally not answer things that don't pertain to football or on the field. Is he not professional.

These guys aren't business men or head CEO's who must act like politicians. They are in a profession that requires different attributes. Therefore, the way they are to be professional would be different, wouldn't it?

They are absolutely CEOs in the respect that they must surround themselves with competent top level executives/ coaches to run each dept while they oversee the overall vision.
Belichick gives the media absolutely nothing, but the bigger point is he's an X and O guru who has always had an eye to surround himself with bright creative talent. Dungy had a quiet respectful demeanor but also innovated the defense that essentially ended the WCO dominance. Payton is the next Walsh but was smart enough to pay top dollar for Williams as DC. The list goes on. All I've seen from MS are hires out of left field he stubbornly stands behind, a lot of talk after screwups that are then repeated, and chest puffing and mean-face making. Nothing resembling the last decades SB winning coaches.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Loving Mike Johnson everyday....

-Staunch supporter of Nate Davis
-Throwing Raye under bus

Doing a great job of getting himself in the doghouse
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by danimal:
I never in a million years thought I would ever witness an NFL head coach talking about "Rats"

This Franchise is downright embarrassing.

He wasn't talking about rats except for stating that he's not going to talk about rats. He already mentioned that a rat will come out on its own and that's it.

The media is talking about rats.

lol, way to spin it. I love Sing. In about any other job in the NFL but HC or DC. He was and is a great coach to have on staff. But as an HC he is an absolute joke. Period, end o story.

And you're basing this judgement on last week alone?

His 5-4 record in 2008?
His 8-8 record in 2009?
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Latest article on the subject
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=72527

Singletary is given softball questions from Dennis O'Donnell (local tv show doing fluff pieces etc.) and simply loses it.

This just keeps getting better and better. So much drama so little time.

i dont smell the rat but smell the fumunda cheese. I love it. be cocky. WHo cares. Next subject.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by jed_york:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
What a prick. For a guy who professes a Christian faith, that sure wasn't Jesus-like. But more than just being rude and defensive, he was also classless and unprofessional.

It's now clear that he's taken on more than he can chew as an NFL head coach, and I honestly don't see him around after this season unless we win the division. Anything less, and he's out.

Don't want to get on a tangent, but wasn't Jesus a person who told the truth, no matter how brutal. Sometimes that can be taken as rude. Singletary didn't lie to the reporter. He told him the truth of how he feels about the situation and wants to talk about other things. A guy can only say the same things so many times. The reporter should just check transcripts or previous interviews about this topic.

Is it good reporting to ask a question that has already been answered or is it better to ask a different question that may get the interviewee to reveal this issue? It was a dumb question because the exact question has been asked a number of times already.

So in your opinion, Dennis the sports anchor for CBS should just tell his audiences or the paying customers of his employer to check the internet or other competing stations for information? Just because the question has been asked by other media outfits?

why even have interviews in that case? why not just one press release for all media?

My opinion is that Dennis was unprepared because he could have been more tactful in bringing up a topic that had already been discussed but he was being lazy and didn't want to think too hard and this kind of stuff makes an interviewee feel like the reporter is testing how dumb the interviewee is.

Both of these people have jobs that they need to prepare for. Singletary is basted for being basic at his job and this guy is doing the same at his job. That's how I see it.

It goes both ways, when an interviewee goes on TV. He or she ought to be prepared and ready for questions. The hotter the topics, the more demand for it therefore more repetitive. Afterall, its the interviewee that is trying to reach out and pass certain information to the demographic covered by that particular media outfit.

if the interviewee wants to avoid certain topics, those requests are normally forwarded to the interviewer or media outfit in advance.

In this case, our Liza Lang wasn't told to inform CBS about avoiding Raye's issues.

To show one's irritation is indeed unprepared and a disservice to the audience and especially to his own employer.
Btw, I was as big a Singletary supporter as there was on this board...from day one! But his rhetoric isn't in sync with what's happening on the field, and his lack of experience managing large groups of men is now embarrasingly obvious, not to mention, painful to watch.

Unfortunately, this is not likely to end well for us. Fortunately, we have some talent on this team now, which makes it much easier to find a quality coach to lead this organization, should MS fail to do so.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
What a prick. For a guy who professes a Christian faith, that sure wasn't Jesus-like. But more than just being rude and defensive, he was also classless and unprofessional.

It's now clear that he's taken on more than he can chew as an NFL head coach, and I honestly don't see him around after this season unless we win the division. Anything less, and he's out.

Don't want to get on a tangent, but wasn't Jesus a person who told the truth, no matter how brutal. Sometimes that can be taken as rude. Singletary didn't lie to the reporter. He told him the truth of how he feels about the situation and wants to talk about other things. A guy can only say the same things so many times. The reporter should just check transcripts or previous interviews about this topic.

Is it good reporting to ask a question that has already been answered or is it better to ask a different question that may get the interviewee to reveal this issue? It was a dumb question because the exact question has been asked a number of times already.

Rather convenient to hide behind the whole "truth" thing so you can be an ass to someone who is merely asking you a question as part of his job. Look, if O'Donnell was being a jerk about it, it would be a different story....but he was just doing his job, asking about a situation that is obviously of interest to a lot of people.

Btw, the interviewee doesn't get to dictate to the reporter what can or can't be asked without coming off like an ass. If you're in the public eye and YOU AGREE to be interviewed, just be a man and answer the questions. Don't act like a little kid, like a bully trying to intimidate and demean another person...that just perpetuates the situation.

The REAL truth is (if he was REALLT being honest) very likely that someone did rat out Jimmy Raye, and that Raye isn't much of an OC, which speaks directly to Sing's judgement.

If I had to guess, this is likely the source of Singletary's anger/frustration, and not just being asked the same questions by reporters (which happens all the time).

so, let me get this straight, there's no rules on what an interviewer can ask but there are rules on how an interviewee can state an answer?

The media gets away with being rude way more often than does a person being interviewed. Yes, he agreed on the interview. That doesn't mean has isn't allowed to be stern, answer the question the way he feels like answering it and let the interviewer know that that's all he's going to get.

He didn't get personal with the interviewer and that's all that matters. Everything else done was within the scope of interviewer/interviewee dynamic.

Nice strawman.

I never said there aren't any rules for the interviewer. I even said that if O'Donnell was being a jerk or asking inappropriate questions then he would've been out of line.

But O'Donnell was just asking what everyone wants to know (and did so respectfully), and Sing simply didn't want to answer (and in the process, came across as an ass). You don't want to answer a question, coach...fine, just be a professional and say, "you know, I've already addressed it and it's water under the bridge." Coaches do that all the time when they want to avoid certain questions.

The unprofessional (and eventually unemployed) react the way Singletary did.

And the interviewer could have done some research and tried to get his question answered in a different way besides the exact way it had already been asked numerous times. You have never answered a question or thought about a question asked to you that "How dumb does this guy think I am? This is flat out disrespectful to me."

That question was an "idiot" question as some investigators/interviewers will categorize them. It's like, "Let me see how dumb he is and see if I can slip this by him." The reporter may not have had those intentions but it can easily be taken that way.

Like I said, the media gets away with being this way. The guy may have not prepared and just asked it innocently, but that's his fault, not Singletary's.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
What a prick. For a guy who professes a Christian faith, that sure wasn't Jesus-like. But more than just being rude and defensive, he was also classless and unprofessional.

It's now clear that he's taken on more than he can chew as an NFL head coach, and I honestly don't see him around after this season unless we win the division. Anything less, and he's out.

Don't want to get on a tangent, but wasn't Jesus a person who told the truth, no matter how brutal. Sometimes that can be taken as rude. Singletary didn't lie to the reporter. He told him the truth of how he feels about the situation and wants to talk about other things. A guy can only say the same things so many times. The reporter should just check transcripts or previous interviews about this topic.

Is it good reporting to ask a question that has already been answered or is it better to ask a different question that may get the interviewee to reveal this issue? It was a dumb question because the exact question has been asked a number of times already.

Rather convenient to hide behind the whole "truth" thing so you can be an ass to someone who is merely asking you a question as part of his job. Look, if O'Donnell was being a jerk about it, it would be a different story....but he was just doing his job, asking about a situation that is obviously of interest to a lot of people.

Btw, the interviewee doesn't get to dictate to the reporter what can or can't be asked without coming off like an ass. If you're in the public eye and YOU AGREE to be interviewed, just be a man and answer the questions. Don't act like a little kid, like a bully trying to intimidate and demean another person...that just perpetuates the situation.

The REAL truth is (if he was REALLT being honest) very likely that someone did rat out Jimmy Raye, and that Raye isn't much of an OC, which speaks directly to Sing's judgement.

If I had to guess, this is likely the source of Singletary's anger/frustration, and not just being asked the same questions by reporters (which happens all the time).

so, let me get this straight, there's no rules on what an interviewer can ask but there are rules on how an interviewee can state an answer?

The media gets away with being rude way more often than does a person being interviewed. Yes, he agreed on the interview. That doesn't mean has isn't allowed to be stern, answer the question the way he feels like answering it and let the interviewer know that that's all he's going to get.

He didn't get personal with the interviewer and that's all that matters. Everything else done was within the scope of interviewer/interviewee dynamic.

Nice strawman.

I never said there aren't any rules for the interviewer. I even said that if O'Donnell was being a jerk or asking inappropriate questions then he would've been out of line.

But O'Donnell was just asking what everyone wants to know (and did so respectfully), and Sing simply didn't want to answer (and in the process, came across as an ass). You don't want to answer a question, coach...fine, just be a professional and say, "you know, I've already addressed it and it's water under the bridge." Coaches do that all the time when they want to avoid certain questions.

The unprofessional (and eventually unemployed) react the way Singletary did.

Exactly. How hard would it have been for Sing to simply say that we had a press conference about this yesterday the yahoo article is in accurate now let's talk about the saints. Just give him generic coach talk like all other coaches do.