Joe Montana pays a visit to the 49ers facility

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JedYork:
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I think he's still butthurt

I think you are the one who is "butthurt"...and too young to appreciate Joe Montana....probably just a Steve Young fan who thinks you need to only worship one 9er QB or something.

show some respect, instead of just saying "Joe Montana is still butthurt" WTF?

THIS. Joe has every reason to be mad about the way s**t went down. I guarantee that if we had not shipped him to KC, the 49ers go on to win at LEAST three more Super Bowls in the 1990s.

It took Eddie D signing the greatest one-year free agency class in history for Young to get his ring. Montana, with the 49ers cast already in place pre-1994, would have beaten the Cowboys and Packers upside the head all by himself.

I sure as hell would rather the 49ers own 8 Lombardi Trophies right now rather than Steve Young's six passing titles.

Wow! strong statement but i agree! If we kept JOE COOL, we would have beaten the Cowpokes in those NFC Championships... to me it seemed like Seifert wanted to make a name for himself with his own team and seperate himself from Walsh.

he should've at least put in Montana in the 2nd half of the '92 NFC title game (tied 10-10 at the half) and nipped the cowpukes' attempt at resurgence in the bud!

Good lord here we go again. Saying Montana is butthurt is disgraceful. There's not one single person here who has the slightest clue about what he went through towards the latter part of his career. He didn't just separate himself from the organization but from the NFL. His aloofness has more to do with how he feels the NFL uses former players and refuses to compensate them than is it does with being traded to the Chefs.

I seriously doubt Joe Montana's older frame could have withstood the Detroit game the Oiler game and other games where Young just got the sh-t beat out of him because of sub par o-line play. Do any of you remember those games or were you even born yet?

I am equally disgusted by fans who still denigrate or marginalize Steve Young's accomplishments with stupid comments like he had to have all this talent signed before he could win a SB. If that were true then why doesn't KC have 2 SB rings from when #16 played played for them? Last time I checked it's a TEAM sport and no QB would have any rings without some really good talent around him. How many rings do we have with no Ronnie Lott or Jerry Rice?

Just please try to remember how s**tty this team became after Steve Young was knocked out of the game. Joe vs. Steve is pointless. They were both incredible and we as fans are lucky as hell to have had them on our team.

I think you are the one who is "butthurt"...and too young to appreciate Joe Montana....probably just a Steve Young fan who thinks you need to only worship one 9er QB or something.

THIS. Joe has every reason to be mad about the way s**t went down. I guarantee that if we had not shipped him to KC, the 49ers go on to win at LEAST three more Super Bowls in the 1990s.

It took Eddie D signing the greatest one-year free agency class in history for Young to get his ring. Montana, with the 49ers cast already in place pre-1994, would have beaten the Cowboys and Packers upside the head all by himself.

I sure as hell would rather the 49ers own 8 Lombardi Trophies right now rather than Steve Young's six passing titles.

No, you don't guarantee it. Merely your opinion. The team was past it's best and holes were beginning to appear. Even if Craig and Lott had been retained, time was starting to run out on them. The rules were changing to stop the dominance of individual franchises.

I personally think the key loss was Walsh, not Montana. By the time Joe went it was going to be either Joe or Steve. No way was either not going to start.
  • Happs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TDilvr:

Wow! strong statement but i agree! If we kept JOE COOL, we would have beaten the Cowpokes in those NFC Championships... to me it seemed like Seifert wanted to make a name for himself with his own team and seperate himself from Walsh.

he should've at least put in Montana in the 2nd half of the '92 NFC title game (tied 10-10 at the half) and nipped the cowpukes' attempt at resurgence in the bud!

Good lord here we go again. Saying Montana is butthurt is disgraceful. There's not one single person here who has the slightest clue about what he went through towards the latter part of his career. He didn't just separate himself from the organization but from the NFL. His aloofness has more to do with how he feels the NFL uses former players and refuses to compensate them than is it does with being traded to the Chefs.

I seriously doubt Joe Montana's older frame could have withstood the Detroit game the Oiler game and other games where Young just got the sh-t beat out of him because of sub par o-line play. Do any of you remember those games or were you even born yet?

I am equally disgusted by fans who still denigrate or marginalize Steve Young's accomplishments with stupid comments like he had to have all this talent signed before he could win a SB. If that were true then why doesn't KC have 2 SB rings from when #16 played played for them? Last time I checked it's a TEAM sport and no QB would have any rings without some really good talent around him. How many rings do we have with no Ronnie Lott or Jerry Rice?

Just please try to remember how s**tty this team became after Steve Young was knocked out of the game. Joe vs. Steve is pointless. They were both incredible and we as fans are lucky as hell to have had them on our team.

This
Good stuff... I hope Singletary told that to Montana and any of the other guys of the past. Or hopefully what he said gets out... I know some of them still watch some or all of the games and then others like Montana probably don't follow the team at all. It's too bad... I really wish these guys would come back more often and tag along for a day or even make a phone call to a player if they wanted to and Sing didn't mind. Singletary said it best though... these guys have a say because of what they did for this organization. Hopefully none of them get the feeling that they are unwelcome. As for the current players if they meet or see these guys they better show respect and listen if they have something to say.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Championship.

Plus, every player now has Sketchers Shape Ups (tm).

Patrick Willis does not approve of this.

During the Viking's game, they commented on Patrick Willis, they said something like, "Ya, Willis just chased down Adrian Peterson, he's a really fast player, I think he can run a 4.5 40, obviously not as fast as Adrian Peterson, but still really fast for a linebacker."

None of those idiots had any idea that Willis ran a 4.37 at his pro-day. Adrian Peterson ran a 4.37 at his school. I don't know if he ran at his pro-day, because he had such a good time at the combine.

At the combine Willis ran a 4.49 with a partially torn ACL, and Peterson ran a 4.38.

No Willis actually ran a 4.56 apparently at his combine... It's even listed on this very website. http://www.49erswebzone.com/draft/2007/
Originally posted by Happs:
Originally posted by TDilvr:

This

Exactly I find this pathetic/amusing to watch people and debate the whole 90's era of what happend between Joe and Steve. Both were great in their own ways. Of course I rather choose Joe over Steve but Steve went on to produce great records of his own and lead the team to 10+ win seasons every time he started and finished a season, and made headaches for DC's to gameplan around. We were lucky enough to have him as someone to come in and win as Joe Montana's replacement. Montana lost games in the playoffs to so I dont want to hear that s**t about Young loosing games for us. He played some very bad games as well (look at 86 WildCard vs Giants and 87 Divisional vs Vikings). It takes a team to win a game not a player. Montana was just awesome when it came to handling adversity and knew how to win as well. In Young's defense I believe the Dallas/Green Bay teams were a little more complete as a tougher competition than the 80's Giants and Bears who both lacked high powered offenses but the defenses were stellar.
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by RYPTOUT:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
It would've been so awesome if he talked to Alex Smith. Give him a few pointers and overall just talk quarterback.

I wish that would happen as well... I was watching the... I think 3rd episode of Hard Knocks with the Jets... and Joe Namath was on site talking to Mark "Sanchise". Namath was in the film room with them and giving pointers to Mark.

Joe Namath, the career 50% passer with 170 TDs and 220 INTs. Yeah, that's the guy I want tutoring my up and coming QB.

Unless of course he was providing keen insights on the best brands of vodka to drink, and how to successfully make a pass at a sideline reporter on national television.

Calm DOWN Otter! Sheesh!... You're missing the point. I think Namath focking sucked donkey balls too!... but the point is... Someone from the championships past... came back to try and help the franchise and lend some advice... not the best idea for the Jets... but for the NINERS? are you kidding me... JOE coming in and speaking to Alex would be a focking godsend.

Now tell us how you really feel about Namath.
Joe Montana was a quarterback, you idiot.

I said Joe Mantegna.
It would've been so awesome if he talked to Alex Smith. Give him a few pointers and overall just talk quarterback.

I wish that would happen as well... I was watching the... I think 3rd episode of Hard Knocks with the Jets... and Joe Namath was on site talking to Mark "Sanchise". Namath was in the film room with them and giving pointers to Mark.

Actually Namath was giving him points on how guaranteee victories. That way he'd
be Rex's boy.
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Aug 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM ]
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Actually Namath was giving him points on how to get drunk and hit up on sideline reporters.

I wouldn't take advice from Namath, he has a 65.5 career QB rating. Most overrated NFL player ever.

never heardof him

nahh...the offense wasn't the problem 1992-96 (years Montana might've played till had he stayed with the Niners). By 1992/93 the 49ers defensive players on the back-to-back title years of 88-89/nearly90 were getting old and out of step (Michael Carter, f*gan, Holt, mike walter, don griffin etc, plus Lott was gone) so that they were badly exposed by the cowboys and even the high-powered 49ers offense always had trouble catching up from behind (though Montana might have led a comeback in the 2nd half of the 92 NFC title game had he been given the chance by Seifert). it would have been the same/worse in 1993. Debartolo and Policy would've done the same thin in 1994 and go crazy in fre agency trying to sign whole new defense (but at the same time mortgaging the future for a journey through salary cap hell). If anything Montana might've led the Niners to one last back-to-back run in 1994/1995 (or alternatively Steve Bono leads the '95 team), but at most i still think the dynasty slowly and steadily falls apart after 1997 (when the Packers have our number), and the most Super Bowls I see the team having in this alternate timeline is either the same of 5 or marginally one more of 6.

I don't disagree dude. The 49ers dynasty still collapses at the end of the 1990s no matter what. Joe Montana's Godlike presence brings us Championships galore!
Originally posted by English:

No, you don't guarantee it. Merely your opinion. The team was past it's best and holes were beginning to appear. Even if Craig and Lott had been retained, time was starting to run out on them. The rules were changing to stop the dominance of individual franchises.

I personally think the key loss was Walsh, not Montana. By the time Joe went it was going to be either Joe or Steve. No way was either not going to start.

The organization was doubting Montana as soon as 1986 after we lost to the Vikings in the playoffs ... still hurts.

They benched Montana the following year but tried to say he was hurt to see what Steve could do.
Originally posted by BSacamano:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Actually Namath was giving him points on how to get drunk and hit up on sideline reporters.

I wouldn't take advice from Namath, he has a 65.5 career QB rating. Most overrated NFL player ever.

Hey just cause some one can't execute doesn't mean he doesn't know how to break down a game film.
Originally posted by BSacamano:
Joe Montana was a quarterback, you idiot.

I said Joe Mantegna.

Joey...........ZASA!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone