Ron Jaworski comments on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 5timers:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
I heard it this morning. Sounded like he was being nice. He talked higher of the stinking Raiders! Kev Lynch voiced his concerns. The same damn thing I said.... Chec$$$$$$$$$$$$Alex Smith finished with six incompletions, four coming from dropped passes, one from good coverage on a long pass to Delanie Walker and another on a throw to Ted Ginn Jr. who was out-of-bounds. Smith was fairly accurate, however his receivers drop a lot of passes; he must not throw a catchable ball. Smith also ran right nearly every time there was pressure. He better learn to run left, particularly with a rookie right tackle. Smith hasn't shown the ability to break his habit of running right nor does he seem comfortable pushing the ball deep. The one time he consciously went deep (in the preseason opener) he finished with a passer rating of under 10.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=71213#ixzz0y8DYyuGP
Any of you Smitty's want to argue that? REALITY CHECK NINER FANS. The SMITTY KOOL AID IS TAINTED!!!!!!

a drop is a drop it means that it hit the WR hands and then it fell otherwise it isnt counted as a drop so all drops recorded are accurate

right handed QBs cant run left otherwise the throwing motion would take way too long causing an INT or an incompletion for sure unless the WR is wide open

its hard to throw deep when you have no deep targets the only ones we have is ginn who is being shut down by the number 1 CB on the other team when he had VD and Crabs last year his intermediate passing and deep passing was pretty good (especially his intermediate passing) he simply just doesnt have the wepons right now

Dont feed the troll... Come on, he cited Kevin Lynch as a source. He's also proposing the argument that if a receiver can't catch a ball that's thrown to him it's the QB's fault.

Troll went out 5 years ago. Get a new line. Dropped passes, new O.C, No O-line, Broken shoulder, Coach hates him, No weapons. ALEXCUSES up the booty in here. Lets see the facts. Smith has never thrown for a 300+ game. Never has beaten a top tier team, Always checks down within 5 seconds, always rolls to his right, Accuracy is un watchable, Now I will listen to a guy who actually rights and works with the 49ers. Why would I listen to a guy that thinks Smith is the next coming of Montana? Probably never been to a game, and doesnt even know where Santa Clara is? Oh and still uses the word "Troll". Your a joke. Now back to rolling right. Why cant he,, Oh I dont know, Run up the middle, run to the left? If the recievers arent there, Get some kind of yards. He doesnt have the skills to think in a flash. He is a computer robot. Everything has to be set perfectly for Alex the robot. If it breaks down, his surge protector reads , run right like your Montana throwing to Clark, but throw it away and your safe. I want you guys to tell me,,, What has Smith done to make you believe he is going to be a great qb. And if you arent looking for a great QB dont answer, because you support losers and I do not. No reason to talk. Im done with the waiting on Smith debacle. Get great or get lost! And Im betting the second answer. Until he shows he can win a big game, on HIS shoulders not Gore's Not Nedney's or the Defense. Answer that question.

LOUD NOISES!

But I would like to draw your attention to this lil nugget -

12/6/09 v Seahawks - 27/45 for 2 TDs and 310 yards.

El Link-O

YES... 310 yards, woow--The question is, did we win that game????

That was not the question posed at all.

You may recall that Smith's harshest critics continually b***hed about the team winning but Smith NOT passing for 300 yards when they did (i.e. team win + Smith fail = Smith sux). Then, when Smith DID throw for 300 yards but the team did not win, his critics b***hed about his inability to win (i.e. Smith win + team fail = Smith sux). Good times.
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:42 PM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Smith still has the mechanics issues that Jaworski called out a couple of years ago. locks his left knee when he throws on mid to long range passes..... for whatever it's worth.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Smith still has the mechanics issues that Jaworski called out a couple of years ago. locks his left knee when he throws on mid to long range passes..... for whatever it's worth.

I disagree. If he does still lock his knee, you can hardly notice it.
[ Edited by PTulini on Aug 30, 2010 at 10:51 PM ]

Pics/Link/Specific Example?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PTulini:

I disagree. If he does still lock his knee, you can hardly notice it.

I specifically paid attention to this in one of the preseason games and he was doing it regularly. Think it was the first game, can't remember. I don't think he does it on less than 10 yard passes.
Smith is still uncomfortable throwing to receivers that are more then five yards from the los. That might work in preseason but when the games start counting defenses will clamp down on that tendency and Smith will be forced to drop back and make plays downfield. So far he's seems to still lack accuracy even on mid range throws. He connects on a few here and there but mostly only when the receiver is wide open which doesn't happen often in the nfl.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Smith is still uncomfortable throwing to receivers that are more then five yards from the los. That might work in preseason but when the games start counting defenses will clamp down on that tendency and Smith will be forced to drop back and make plays downfield. So far he's seems to still lack accuracy even on mid range throws. He connects on a few here and there but mostly only when the receiver is wide open which doesn't happen often in the nfl.

Wait... what?

I thought the problem with Alex was that he couldn't connect on short passes? Wasn't the intermediate 10-15 yard throw his most accurate? WTF is going on in here lately?

I like Smith and believe he will surprise everyone this year. I think the consistency in the staff and scheme will give him the confidence he needs to make the big plays we have been waiting for. I respect the fact that you give a legitimate argument though. I hope you hope I’m right. I’m going crazy with all the what if’s. Finally in two weeks we get the answers we have been waiting for.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
I heard it this morning. Sounded like he was being nice. He talked higher of the stinking Raiders! Kev Lynch voiced his concerns. The same damn thing I said.... Chec$$$$$$$$$$$$Alex Smith finished with six incompletions, four coming from dropped passes, one from good coverage on a long pass to Delanie Walker and another on a throw to Ted Ginn Jr. who was out-of-bounds. Smith was fairly accurate, however his receivers drop a lot of passes; he must not throw a catchable ball. Smith also ran right nearly every time there was pressure. He better learn to run left, particularly with a rookie right tackle. Smith hasn't shown the ability to break his habit of running right nor does he seem comfortable pushing the ball deep. The one time he consciously went deep (in the preseason opener) he finished with a passer rating of under 10.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=71213#ixzz0y8DYyuGP
Any of you Smitty's want to argue that? REALITY CHECK NINER FANS. The SMITTY KOOL AID IS TAINTED!!!!!!

a drop is a drop it means that it hit the WR hands and then it fell otherwise it isnt counted as a drop so all drops recorded are accurate

right handed QBs cant run left otherwise the throwing motion would take way too long causing an INT or an incompletion for sure unless the WR is wide open

its hard to throw deep when you have no deep targets the only ones we have is ginn who is being shut down by the number 1 CB on the other team when he had VD and Crabs last year his intermediate passing and deep passing was pretty good (especially his intermediate passing) he simply just doesnt have the wepons right now

Dont feed the troll... Come on, he cited Kevin Lynch as a source. He's also proposing the argument that if a receiver can't catch a ball that's thrown to him it's the QB's fault.

Yes let's not. The ACP has just hit a new low of stupidity.
Originally posted by Method:

Wait... what?

I thought the problem with Alex was that he couldn't connect on short passes? Wasn't the intermediate 10-15 yard throw his most accurate? WTF is going on in here lately?

Yes it was they're just making s**t up now. First it was "well so what if he can hit VD on a seam route in the middle of the field! he can't move the chains! so what if he can hit Crabtree on a 40 yard TD in Green Bay! He can't do s**t when he has to move the chains! he can't move the team and leed lyk shawn heel!". Now they see him doing it in preseason and they're like "well he's not throwing 40 yard passes, he can't throw a 60 yard pass like Nate Daviz!11! all this joker can do is throw CHECK DOWN PASSES TO THE RUNNING BACK! And role ryt! it don't matter if he thro a tutchdown, he be roling right yo! i see him rollin, i hatin! I hoping that I gun ketch him riding dirty!!11!"

Lacks accuracy, are you basing this on anecdotal evidence? He finished last year with a 60% completion percentage, and he is averaging 60% in the first 3 preseason games this year too.
Originally posted by sdninerfan:

Lacks accuracy, are you basing this on anecdotal evidence? He finished last year with a 60% completion percentage, and he is averaging 60% in the first 3 preseason games this year too.

C'mon now! The whole season is based on one play. You know that!
There just seems to be to many know nothing idiots posting opinions that just don't make any sense. But just keep posting we all know who the idiots are here.

Just too many turds in this punch bowl.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CheapThrill:
There just seems to be to many know nothing idiots posting opinions that just don't make any sense. But just keep posting we all know who the idiots are here.

Just too many turds in this punch bowl.

It's no big deal.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Method:

Wait... what?

Yes it was they're just making s**t up now. First it was "well so what if he can hit VD on a seam route in the middle of the field! he can't move the chains! so what if he can hit Crabtree on a 40 yard TD in Green Bay! He can't do s**t when he has to move the chains! he can't move the team and leed lyk shawn heel!". Now they see him doing it in preseason and they're like "well he's not throwing 40 yard passes, he can't throw a 60 yard pass like Nate Daviz!11! all this joker can do is throw CHECK DOWN PASSES TO THE RUNNING BACK! And role ryt! it don't matter if he thro a tutchdown, he be roling right yo! i see him rollin, i hatin! I hoping that I gun ketch him riding dirty!!11!"

[ Edited by defenderDX on Aug 31, 2010 at 9:31 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone