LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Ron Jaworski comments on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 5timers:
I heard it this morning. Sounded like he was being nice. He talked higher of the stinking Raiders! Kev Lynch voiced his concerns. The same damn thing I said.... Chec$$$$$$$$$$$$Alex Smith finished with six incompletions, four coming from dropped passes, one from good coverage on a long pass to Delanie Walker and another on a throw to Ted Ginn Jr. who was out-of-bounds. Smith was fairly accurate, however his receivers drop a lot of passes; he must not throw a catchable ball. Smith also ran right nearly every time there was pressure. He better learn to run left, particularly with a rookie right tackle. Smith hasn't shown the ability to break his habit of running right nor does he seem comfortable pushing the ball deep. The one time he consciously went deep (in the preseason opener) he finished with a passer rating of under 10.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=71213#ixzz0y8DYyuGP
Any of you Smitty's want to argue that? REALITY CHECK NINER FANS. The SMITTY KOOL AID IS TAINTED!!!!!!

a drop is a drop it means that it hit the WR hands and then it fell otherwise it isnt counted as a drop so all drops recorded are accurate

right handed QBs cant run left otherwise the throwing motion would take way too long causing an INT or an incompletion for sure unless the WR is wide open

its hard to throw deep when you have no deep targets the only ones we have is ginn who is being shut down by the number 1 CB on the other team when he had VD and Crabs last year his intermediate passing and deep passing was pretty good (especially his intermediate passing) he simply just doesnt have the wepons right now

Dont feed the troll... Come on, he cited Kevin Lynch as a source. He's also proposing the argument that if a receiver can't catch a ball that's thrown to him it's the QB's fault.
Originally posted by craigyboy:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by Shaj:
getting to the playoffs in the NFC West is like falling off a log. The MINIMUM expectation is we make the playoffs this year. If we win our first playoff game and lose our second playoff game, that is progress. If Alex gets us to the first playoff game and we are one and done, that is not progress IMO, that is just us being in the worst division in football and that getting exposed the minute we made the playoffs.

Given the state of this franchise in recent years, I think making the playoffs is progress. That said, I will not be satisfied with anything less than 1 playoff win.

This.

Getting to the playoffs is difficult. You don't fall trip and find yourself there automatically. This team is not necessarily ready to compete beyond one and maybe two rounds of the playoffs. If you think we are, expect to be disappointed.
Going to the playoffs is progress.

If Smith takes us to the playoffs, the arguments excuses are starting already.

-9fA

no doubt getting to pyaoffs IN ANY division is ever a given. there are 3 teams who aren't trynna laydown for us. but i'm curious to hear why you feel the team "isn't ready" to go beyond the 1st.

To Axe, yes anything can happen and the playoffs are a different beast to the regular season. The Cardinals were a total surprise that year but more than not, those type of story lines really don't occur very often.

And to answer your question craigyboy, I say that we may not be ready for a strong push primarily because of inexperience. We have a lot of young players at key positions, and while that bodes well for the future and while it might be enough to get into the playoffs, teams usually stumble on their first attempt towards the Superbowl.

I guess I am being a little harsh. If we open the playoffs at home, I'll give them a greater chance. I just want to see them in it!

-9fA
  • Otter
  • Veteran
I heard it this morning. Sounded like he was being nice. He talked higher of the stinking Raiders! Kev Lynch voiced his concerns. The same damn thing I said.... Chec$$$$$$$$$$$$Alex Smith finished with six incompletions, four coming from dropped passes, one from good coverage on a long pass to Delanie Walker and another on a throw to Ted Ginn Jr. who was out-of-bounds. Smith was fairly accurate, however his receivers drop a lot of passes; he must not throw a catchable ball. Smith also ran right nearly every time there was pressure. He better learn to run left, particularly with a rookie right tackle. Smith hasn't shown the ability to break his habit of running right nor does he seem comfortable pushing the ball deep. The one time he consciously went deep (in the preseason opener) he finished with a passer rating of under 10.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=71213#ixzz0y8DYyuGP
Any of you Smitty's want to argue that? REALITY CHECK NINER FANS. The SMITTY KOOL AID IS TAINTED!!!!!!

Do you know WHY he runs right more often than not? Because he's right handed, and it's an easier throw. The same reason Michael Vick skewed left.

He has a better chance of making a downfield play, running right, if he can't stop and plant his feet.

As for throwing deep, where are the routes being run, who's open, both very important questions. A catchable ball? Two things to consider, these are men paid millions of dollars to CATCH a ball, and the receivers in question have been plagued by the dropsies, see Ginn, Ted and Davis, Vernon.
Jaws and P.King can go suck it!
Originally posted by craigyboy:
Originally posted by Shaj:
getting to the playoffs in the NFC West is like falling off a log. The MINIMUM expectation is we make the playoffs this year. If we win our first playoff game and lose our second playoff game, that is progress. If Alex gets us to the first playoff game and we are one and done, that is not progress IMO, that is just us being in the worst division in football and that getting exposed the minute we made the playoffs.

Given the state of this franchise in recent years, I think making the playoffs is progress. That said, I will not be satisfied with anything less than 1 playoff win.

This.

Getting to the playoffs is difficult. You don't fall trip and find yourself there automatically. This team is not necessarily ready to compete beyond one and maybe two rounds of the playoffs. If you think we are, expect to be disappointed.
Going to the playoffs is progress.

If Smith takes us to the playoffs, the arguments excuses are starting already.

-9fA

no doubt getting to pyaoffs IN ANY division is ever a given. there are 3 teams who aren't trynna laydown for us. but i'm curious to hear why you feel the team "isn't ready" to go beyond the 1st.

To Axe, yes anything can happen and the playoffs are a different beast to the regular season. The Cardinals were a total surprise that year but more than not, those type of story lines really don't occur very often.

And to answer your question craigyboy, I say that we may not be ready for a strong push primarily because of inexperience. We have a lot of young players at key positions, and while that bodes well for the future and while it might be enough to get into the playoffs, teams usually stumble on their first attempt towards the Superbowl.

I guess I am being a little harsh. If we open the playoffs at home, I'll give them a greater chance. I just want to see them in it!

-9fA

The one X-factor is that our defense tends to play to the level of their competition. If they play like they played at Arizona, Indy, or Min, we could easily make a run similar to the Ravens in Flacco's rookie year. For the Playoffs, you throw in some consistent offense and ball control in those types of games, and those are big wins for us.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I gotta agree with him. My only concern with Smith is his deep ball. Can he throw it accurately?

I thought that has always been his strong point, correct me if im wrong but i thought the knock on him was his accuracy on the short throws not on the long

Nope, you're right. It's always been the short throws that were the knock on him. But now it's his whole game. Man we should not have gotten rid of Shaun Hill.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by 5280High:

a drop is a drop it means that it hit the WR hands and then it fell otherwise it isnt counted as a drop so all drops recorded are accurate

right handed QBs cant run left otherwise the throwing motion would take way too long causing an INT or an incompletion for sure unless the WR is wide open

its hard to throw deep when you have no deep targets the only ones we have is ginn who is being shut down by the number 1 CB on the other team when he had VD and Crabs last year his intermediate passing and deep passing was pretty good (especially his intermediate passing) he simply just doesnt have the wepons right now

Dont feed the troll... Come on, he cited Kevin Lynch as a source. He's also proposing the argument that if a receiver can't catch a ball that's thrown to him it's the QB's fault.

Troll went out 5 years ago. Get a new line. Dropped passes, new O.C, No O-line, Broken shoulder, Coach hates him, No weapons. ALEXCUSES up the booty in here. Lets see the facts. Smith has never thrown for a 300+ game. Never has beaten a top tier team, Always checks down within 5 seconds, always rolls to his right, Accuracy is un watchable, Now I will listen to a guy who actually rights and works with the 49ers. Why would I listen to a guy that thinks Smith is the next coming of Montana? Probably never been to a game, and doesnt even know where Santa Clara is? Oh and still uses the word "Troll". Your a joke. Now back to rolling right. Why cant he,, Oh I dont know, Run up the middle, run to the left? If the recievers arent there, Get some kind of yards. He doesnt have the skills to think in a flash. He is a computer robot. Everything has to be set perfectly for Alex the robot. If it breaks down, his surge protector reads , run right like your Montana throwing to Clark, but throw it away and your safe. I want you guys to tell me,,, What has Smith done to make you believe he is going to be a great qb. And if you arent looking for a great QB dont answer, because you support losers and I do not. No reason to talk. Im done with the waiting on Smith debacle. Get great or get lost! And Im betting the second answer. Until he shows he can win a big game, on HIS shoulders not Gore's Not Nedney's or the Defense. Answer that question.

Troll went out 5 years ago. Get a new line. Dropped passes, new O.C, No O-line, Broken shoulder, Coach hates him, No weapons. ALEXCUSES up the booty in here. Lets see the facts. Smith has never thrown for a 300+ game. Never has beaten a top tier team, Always checks down within 5 seconds, always rolls to his right, Accuracy is un watchable, Now I will listen to a guy who actually rights and works with the 49ers. Why would I listen to a guy that thinks Smith is the next coming of Montana? Probably never been to a game, and doesnt even know where Santa Clara is? Oh and still uses the word "Troll". Your a joke. Now back to rolling right. Why cant he,, Oh I dont know, Run up the middle, run to the left? If the recievers arent there, Get some kind of yards. He doesnt have the skills to think in a flash. He is a computer robot. Everything has to be set perfectly for Alex the robot. If it breaks down, his surge protector reads , run right like your Montana throwing to Clark, but throw it away and your safe. I want you guys to tell me,,, What has Smith done to make you believe he is going to be a great qb. And if you arent looking for a great QB dont answer, because you support losers and I do not. No reason to talk. Im done with the waiting on Smith debacle. Get great or get lost! And Im betting the second answer. Until he shows he can win a big game, on HIS shoulders not Gore's Not Nedney's or the Defense. Answer that question.

5 years ago or 5 posts ago?

hah can't even take my own advice, ok now im done with this joker.
[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 30, 2010 at 4:46 PM ]

LOUD NOISES!

But I would like to draw your attention to this lil nugget -

12/6/09 v Seahawks - 27/45 for 2 TDs and 310 yards.

El Link-O
Originally posted by susweel:

I'm drinking da Kool-Aid for sure. Really like hearing what all Jaws has to say about Smith & our offense.

LOUD NOISES!

But I would like to draw your attention to this lil nugget -

12/6/09 v Seahawks - 27/45 for 2 TDs and 310 yards.

El Link-O

Credibility -1.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 30, 2010 at 5:06 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not a big believer in Smith, but I agree with Jaws...Smith looks better and more comfortable with the offense than he ever has. IMO, that's not saying TOO much, but he's at least clearly improving.

Agree with you Ghost. Although he looks new and improved, I'm waiting for the disguised coverages of the season to see how Smith reacts.

You are going to post this poorly thought out crap and call someone else a joke? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about...welcome to the ACP.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Jaws and P.King can go suck it!

Agreed along with the rest of the haters!

Nice wall of text. But its kind of hard to take you seriously when the first thing you list is false. Seatle, last year, 310 yards.
Share 49ersWebzone