There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Put Nate Davis on the practice squad

For those that want to cut him, let's try him out at DB first, just to be sure he can't help us there. For those that don't recognize saracasm, this is it, but also , i am serious about trying out Nate and anybody else who can fog a mirror to see if they can improve what is truly a very bad defensive backfield. Maybe while he is learning the playbook, he can help out the D backfield. As someone said, earlier, he IS a great athlete.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
For those that want to cut him, let's try him out at DB first, just to be sure he can't help us there. For those that don't recognize saracasm, this is it, but also , i am serious about trying out Nate and anybody else who can fog a mirror to see if they can improve what is truly a very bad defensive backfield. Maybe while he is learning the playbook, he can help out the D backfield. As someone said, earlier, he IS a great athlete.

so...you're being sarcastic, but also serious?
terrible idea. One bad preseason performance (should we even call it bad?) isn't going to prevent him from getting swooped on by another team.
Anyways, I don't even think he is PS eligible
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,840
Well since a poster thinks they can read my mind, I might as well make it clear for everyone. I proposed putting Nate Davis on the practice squad, because I don't believe that another team will waste a 53 man roster spot on a player that won't be able to contribute to the team this year.

My personal assessment of Nate Davis, which is based mainly on what the coaches have said publicly (and Nate has admitted some as well) is that he is learning the playbook more slowly than expected. Despite his talent, that really concerns me. The 49ers have had musical offensive coordinators the past decade, and Nate will not be able to succeed in that environment. Having said that, he doesn't have any real competition for the 3rd QB position, so I don't see any reason to just cut him from the team. Putting him on the practice squad seems like a good in between choice. If he is on the 49er roster next year, he has one final chance to show that he can handle the mental responsibilities of being a QB in the NFL.

When it comes to Carr, I am as worried as the rest of the 49er fans about the way he has played. On the other hand, he is an experienced NFL QB, and the 49ers SHOULD be able to win some games with him as a starting QB (playoffs sound doubtful, though).

When it comes to Alex Smith, I really want him to succeed, so I probably make more allowances for his failures than I should, however is very obvious that if he were to get injured, the 49er offense would regress. Going into next year, though, I think he still needs to prove he deserves the job. If he doesn't succeed, I would be happy having him as a backup, but most likely he would not accept that role.

Next year, I think the 49ers will need to draft a QB. Third round if Alex succeeds, or first round if he doesn't. The point of a third round QB would be to push Nate Davis and Carr. I think Davis and Carr would be in competition for the backup QB spot, and the loser would get cut in favor of the potential of the new 3rd round draftee.

One final thought for those that think Nate Davis would be grabbed from the practice squad. Fans tend to overvalue their own team's players, and assume that other teams will grab those players if placed on the practice squad. I think the places where the 49ers are more likely to have a practice squad player grabbed is in areas of strength for the 49ers: OL and safety. I think those are the positions that the 49ers need to worry more about protecting.
Punctuation. Paragraphs. Logic. Common sense. Hell you playing at Fryet?
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Kendrick:
C'mon guys. Just because Sing fooled the media doesnt mean you have to be fooled. verybody loves Nate. the kid did great on his last outing, not statistically but they learned enough to know he wont be # 2 this year but he will be # 1 in the future.
Sing nipped any controversy in the bud and humbled everyone in the room. The press that follows our team are nothing but rehashers or brown-nosers. So, what Sing says, goes.

Sing did fool the media. I think he is doing what he did to Vernon when he banished him to the locker room - calling somebody very talented out and hoping it brings out the best in him in the future. I think this is a management tactic, and a pretty smart one at that.

That's wishful thinking, the possibility of Nate Davis being cut seems very real.

He seems to be in a Jason Hill situation rather than a Vernon Davis situation. He plays well, but is a bad practice/playbook player, therefore he doesn't make the cut with this coaching staff. Even though Vernon Davis had gameday issues as a pass catcher, he was a stellar practice player and an excellent blocker so the coaching staff had faith in him.

This coaching staff is all about having a roster full of players who are healthy and fundamentally sound.
I agree with your overall assessment.

I also believe Singletary is sending a message to the the team, especially to the young players, about the commitment necessary to play in this league, and to play for Mike Singletary.

Sometimes a coach will make a calculated decision to make an example of a certain player in order to set a tone for the team. That was a part of why he made Nate's situation as public as he did. If the kid can deal with that and pick up his work ethic, great. In not, the sooner the team learns that, the sooner they can cut their losses and move on. Let's hope Davis picks it up. His talent is intriguing, even though it is not earth shaking. A lot of young guys have great arms but never become good QBs.

I understand motivating players, but the coaching staff seems to be filled with lazy and grumpy old men who want to field players that make their jobs easier. A sign of a good coaching staff is the ability to coax the talent out of players and keep them focused. If the team underperforms and doesn't take full advantage of it's talents, then I hope Jed York get's an established coach next year.

I like Singletary, but he doesn't match up to Tony Dungy, Bill Cohwer, Marty Schottenhiemer, or Brian Billick.
Originally posted by fryet:
Well since a poster thinks they can read my mind, I might as well make it clear for everyone. I proposed putting Nate Davis on the practice squad, because I don't believe that another team will waste a 53 man roster spot on a player that won't be able to contribute to the team this year.

My personal assessment of Nate Davis, which is based mainly on what the coaches have said publicly (and Nate has admitted some as well) is that he is learning the playbook more slowly than expected. Despite his talent, that really concerns me. The 49ers have had musical offensive coordinators the past decade, and Nate will not be able to succeed in that environment. Having said that, he doesn't have any real competition for the 3rd QB position, so I don't see any reason to just cut him from the team. Putting him on the practice squad seems like a good in between choice. If he is on the 49er roster next year, he has one final chance to show that he can handle the mental responsibilities of being a QB in the NFL.

When it comes to Carr, I am as worried as the rest of the 49er fans about the way he has played. On the other hand, he is an experienced NFL QB, and the 49ers SHOULD be able to win some games with him as a starting QB (playoffs sound doubtful, though).

When it comes to Alex Smith, I really want him to succeed, so I probably make more allowances for his failures than I should, however is very obvious that if he were to get injured, the 49er offense would regress. Going into next year, though, I think he still needs to prove he deserves the job. If he doesn't succeed, I would be happy having him as a backup, but most likely he would not accept that role.

Next year, I think the 49ers will need to draft a QB. Third round if Alex succeeds, or first round if he doesn't. The point of a third round QB would be to push Nate Davis and Carr. I think Davis and Carr would be in competition for the backup QB spot, and the loser would get cut in favor of the potential of the new 3rd round draftee.

One final thought for those that think Nate Davis would be grabbed from the practice squad. Fans tend to overvalue their own team's players, and assume that other teams will grab those players if placed on the practice squad. I think the places where the 49ers are more likely to have a practice squad player grabbed is in areas of strength for the 49ers: OL and safety. I think those are the positions that the 49ers need to worry more about protecting.

having a 3rd QB isn't wasting a roster spot.

There is a reason that Davis wasn't put on the PS last year, and that's because the team was convinced he wouldn't clear waivers.

You don't cut a guy if you want him on the team. If they cut Davis it will because they are willing to move on without him. If he cleared waivers they would probably put him on the PS, but it would be a pretty clear signal that they don't think he has much of a future with the team.
He will not clear wavers. Guaranteed. Plus, don't most teams carry 3 QB's? If your starter goes down, ur screwed.
yup, HEssian, you got that right. Yes...and yes.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,840
I don't think Davis would have cleared waivers last year either since he was a 5th round draft pick. This year, with his slow development, I think teams would be much more reluctant to grab him from the practice squad.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
He will not clear wavers. Guaranteed. Plus, don't most teams carry 3 QB's? If your starter goes down, ur screwed.


Yes . . . it's extremely rare to keep less than three QB's.
Originally posted by fryet:
I don't think Davis would have cleared waivers last year either since he was a 5th round draft pick. This year, with his slow development, I think teams would be much more reluctant to grab him from the practice squad.

i just really disagree. Just about every team keeps 3 QB's, and that 3rd QB is often a young guy they are developing. The 3rd QB doesn't count against the active roster on gamedays, so he really doesn't take up that valuable of a roster spot.

How many teams have signed project players, thinking that they can change the player, that somehow it'll be different this time around? If, say, Pacman Jones gets X # of chances, why wouldn't some team take a chance on Davis, saying, "Well, his old team thought he developed slowly but we'll change that here!" (obviously pacman and Davis are different situations, but you get my drift: teams are always willing to take chances on someone else's discards if they think the talent is there).
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 48,989
Soooooooooooooooooo

whos gonna be #3 QB when Davis hits the PS?



I'm game

[ Edited by 9erfan4life on Aug 30, 2010 at 10:18 AM ]
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by dj43:
At this time it is very clear that Davis is either headed for the PS, or will be the designated #3 QB. Until/unless such time as Smith or Carr are injured, Davis will not be game eligible. He clearly does not have the understanding of the game to be reliable in the regular season.

Very often kids/people who have a "learning disability" simply have not been taught the discipline necessary to focus and learn. It is a "learning" disability only in that they have not been required to do it. They have been allowed to slide through. In certain cases, when that one thing that want to do is taken away from them, in the case of Nate Davis, play football, all of a sudden the "learning disability" is solved. I believe that is something Singletary understands full well and took Davis to the woodshed in hopes that Davis will use the focus necessary to take advantage of his physical talents.

You my friend are a Moron congatulations

congratulations.


oh, the irony!

LOL yes I just saw that "congratulations".

Yes when someone posts an ignorant statement like that it fires me up and I get careless with my spelling.

First of all, Learning Disabilities are a known medical fact, the brain is wired differently. For instance if the 49er coaching staff spent some time looking at how Dyslexia works and tried teaching him the proper way it would pay great dividends. I have had experience with Learning Disabled children and found them extremely bright but they have to be taught differently than the other students. When they do they thrive and usually do better than a lot of the other students.
You need to read more carefully. I did not say ALL kids with "learning diabilities." I said "often." There is a quantitative difference.

I have personally worked with kids who require medication to stay focused and without it they are a train wreck. I have also worked with kids who do require somewhat different teaching methods to get the point across. However, none of that is what Singletary was saying, or alluding to, about Davis. He was calling out Davis on his WORK ETHIC, and THAT is what I was agreeing with.

A kid can be dyslexic and still learn but he has to at least open the book and begin the process. For example, my wife has a grandson that is 11, and a talented baseball player but who has a problem "focusing." He can remember all the numbers of the players on the Giants on the team but can't remember his basic math facts. His mother has totally bought into a bunch of pop psych about "different learning styles" and refuses to make Nathan accountable for doing his work. He is now in his second school and has been through several tutors searching for just the right one that "understands his learning style." I love the kid. He is bright and very charismatic but he has learned that he can get away with just refusing to be accountable and not face any consequences. His mother and father are very dedicated as parents but this "different learning style" nonsense have over-ridden common sense. Until they are willing to withhold baseball (the only thing he really wants to do) from him, he will have no incentive to improve his work ethic.

Does that make it more clear?
I know this was originally a troll attempt and for the most part, it has been a success...

do you think the Colts would pick him up, if we did put him on the practice squad?

lets see, although Manning is not retiring anytime soon, they do need a QB to groom right now.....and they were the only team to scout him, even though they knew about his "learning disability". They also got a good look at him in their game against us...

anyway, about Nate taking 2 years to learn a new playbook or what ever.....I don't really believe in the that kind of talk our coaches have been feeding us....its not like they have amazing track records with QBs...or how to develop one.....I"m talking about Singletary and Raye.... Mike Johnson is relevantly quiet about the whole Nate struggling to pickup the offense thing...

I refuse to believe that Nate is the first QB with dyslexia to start at QB in the NFL...the NFL has been around for a long time.....I just think we have the wrong coaches for Nate...they keep telling him he can't this or that..complain about his work ethic, even though he worked at getting better in the summer while still trying to balance spending time with his daughter (his words).

I think another OC/HC would find a way to let Nate just play....use his natural talent at the QB position. Not saying the QB position is that simple to play, but I think another set of seasoned coaches would find a way to use Nate to the best of his abilities....If this team was reliant on Nate becoming a great QB, then I would say we need a new HC and OC....but this team does not revolve around Nate so we'll just go with what we have....