There are 185 users in the forums

Put Nate Davis on the practice squad

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Originally posted by fryet:
This is assuming he is still eligible (I don't know what the rules are). After a full season of work, he still doesn't know the entire playbook. Singletary publicly gave a poor assessment of his play. I don't think any other team would put him on their 53 man roster, knowing that he won't be able to play for them at all in 2010.

By doing so, it will allow the 49ers to keep another player around that is more likely to contribute to the 2010 season like Curtis Taylor.

Wow - I do hope you are kidding.
I wish the webzone had a practice squad to put you on....

I think it's a great idea. It would allow is to keep an extra player. Nobody is going to grab him off the PS so he'll be safe there. BTW, I"m hoping the Panthers cut Tony Pike so we can snag him as our No. 3 Qb.

You can't be that ignorant.

Nate Davis will never make the practice squad. He needs more reps to speed up his learning and other teams know this. He'd be gone immediately.
  • dj43
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Kendrick:
C'mon guys. Just because Sing fooled the media doesnt mean you have to be fooled. verybody loves Nate. the kid did great on his last outing, not statistically but they learned enough to know he wont be # 2 this year but he will be # 1 in the future.
Sing nipped any controversy in the bud and humbled everyone in the room. The press that follows our team are nothing but rehashers or brown-nosers. So, what Sing says, goes.

Sing did fool the media. I think he is doing what he did to Vernon when he banished him to the locker room - calling somebody very talented out and hoping it brings out the best in him in the future. I think this is a management tactic, and a pretty smart one at that.

That's wishful thinking, the possibility of Nate Davis being cut seems very real.

He seems to be in a Jason Hill situation rather than a Vernon Davis situation. He plays well, but is a bad practice/playbook player, therefore he doesn't make the cut with this coaching staff. Even though Vernon Davis had gameday issues as a pass catcher, he was a stellar practice player and an excellent blocker so the coaching staff had faith in him.

This coaching staff is all about having a roster full of players who are healthy and fundamentally sound.
I agree with your overall assessment.

I also believe Singletary is sending a message to the the team, especially to the young players, about the commitment necessary to play in this league, and to play for Mike Singletary.

Sometimes a coach will make a calculated decision to make an example of a certain player in order to set a tone for the team. That was a part of why he made Nate's situation as public as he did. If the kid can deal with that and pick up his work ethic, great. In not, the sooner the team learns that, the sooner they can cut their losses and move on. Let's hope Davis picks it up. His talent is intriguing, even though it is not earth shaking. A lot of young guys have great arms but never become good QBs.

I understand motivating players, but the coaching staff seems to be filled with lazy and grumpy old men who want to field players that make their jobs easier. A sign of a good coaching staff is the ability to coax the talent out of players and keep them focused. If the team underperforms and doesn't take full advantage of it's talents, then I hope Jed York get's an established coach next year.

I like Singletary, but he doesn't match up to Tony Dungy, Bill Cohwer, Marty Schottenhiemer, or Brian Billick.

I think you are allowing Sing's game face and Jimmy Raye's regular face to influence your thinking.

As to the comparative evaluation of Singletary, the guys you listed were not close to the level we now remember when they first started. Give Singletary a chance. I see a lot of the fire of Bill Cowyer in him along with the player understanding and spiritual strength of Tony Dungy. I don't include the other two in the same conversation.
[ Edited by dj43 on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:
This is assuming he is still eligible (I don't know what the rules are). After a full season of work, he still doesn't know the entire playbook. Singletary publicly gave a poor assessment of his play. I don't think any other team would put him on their 53 man roster, knowing that he won't be able to play for them at all in 2010.

By doing so, it will allow the 49ers to keep another player around that is more likely to contribute to the 2010 season like Curtis Taylor.

I think it's a great idea. It would allow is to keep an extra player. Nobody is going to grab him off the PS so he'll be safe there. BTW, I"m hoping the Panthers cut Tony Pike so we can snag him as our No. 3 Qb.

Nate Davis will never make the practice squad. He needs more reps to speed up his learning and other teams know this. He'd be gone immediately.

True. Look at Cleveland. He could go in there and be starting by week 3. God they suck.

You missed the joke mate!

This thread is hilarious

-9fA
  • fryet
  • Veteran
For those that think I am a troll, I am an established vet on this forum - I don't start troll posts. I do like to "think outside the box", so I do propose ideas that others may deem "crazy".

I find it funny for those posters who think that Nate Davis could start for Cleveland by week 3. I think Indy is a more reasonable scenario. Supposedly they have a small playbook, and might be more willing to sacrifice a spot for a person to groom behind Manning.

One thing to consider about Davis being poor at protection calls. This was against a vanilla defense. Imagine him being a starter, facing a defense designed to beat him, and using his weakness at protections against him. It would get ugly fast. I think that is the reason that even though Carr had a bad game, the 49ers still have Carr as their 2nd QB. Let's just hope that Smith doesn't get hurt...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

You missed the joke mate!

This thread is hilarious

-9fA

I was serious.
If Davis is really that far away from being a decent player, they will cut him and not bother putting him on the PS.

Singletary's words were a motivational tool and nothing more. People are reading way too much into that, IMO.
He would be signed by another team a few seconds after....
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I say they let him return kicks
Let's face it - Nate Davis is taking too long to learn the playbook. What if we were to get a new offensive coordinator next year? Must we wait 2 years for him to learn that playbook too?

As for having only 2 QBs on the roster, some teams have done it in the past, so it isn't a crazy idea to suggest it. Most likely Davis would be on the practice squad when we needed him.

For those that think another team would snatch him up - which team do you think would sacrifice a roster spot for a player that will provide no help for them at all in 2010? Or do you really think he will be able to pick up another team's playbook fast enough to contribute in 2010?
What are you talking about!? Dude. If Alex Smith can take 5 years to learn a playbook then you better believe we can give Nate Davis one more year to learn it.

You Alex Smith fanatics are something else!

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Let's face it - Nate Davis is taking too long to learn the playbook. What if we were to get a new offensive coordinator next year? Must we wait 2 years for him to learn that playbook too?

As for having only 2 QBs on the roster, some teams have done it in the past, so it isn't a crazy idea to suggest it. Most likely Davis would be on the practice squad when we needed him.

For those that think another team would snatch him up - which team do you think would sacrifice a roster spot for a player that will provide no help for them at all in 2010? Or do you really think he will be able to pick up another team's playbook fast enough to contribute in 2010?
What are you talking about!? Dude. If Alex Smith can take 5 years to learn a playbook then you better believe we can give Nate Davis one more year to learn it.

Actually Alex learned a new one every year so yeah he's pretty smart they should let him return kicks
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

Actually Alex learned a new one every year so yeah he's pretty smart they should let him return kicks

this
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

actually, they should put Alex on the practice squad and let Jarret Brown return kicks/QB, that way we can have, like, 12 safeties on our roster cause they're way more valuable than QBs.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

It hasn't taken him 5 years to learn the playbook, just that much time to get healthy and establish himself as the starter. Nate is a knucklehead who doesn't like to do the studying be it because of his disability or laziness. He's got no one to blame but himself.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Aug 30, 2010 at 1:08 PM ]

Yeah I guess you quickly have forgotten singletary's motivational methods. Do Do Do Marijuana effects the memory... Does the Vernon Davis situation ring a bell or are you deaf??

Share 49ersWebzone