LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

what you liked and didnt like ( PRESEASON WEEK 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Like: Dixon, Carr

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

If Smith remains starter for the rest of the year, we're in big trouble........

Swing to MRob was very catchable, just rewatched it. And Walked dropped the ball!!

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch tomake in traffic.

Walker touched it so he was able to get it, he dropped it.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a reciever for an interption. Every ball that a reciever touches does not make it a good pass.

Doesn't have to be a perfect pass, it was catchable. Rule 1, you touch it you catch it. He had his hands on it and didn't bring it down, that's what his job is.

No. Rule 1 is that you make the decision to throw the ball to the right man and that your throw be good enough for him to catch it. It was a bad pass and he made a good effort to catch it. plain and simple.

It was good enough for him to catch it but he didn't.

Look what he has to do to get in a postion to even touch the ball. He has to jump in the air while turning his body wit a defender on him. A good pass on a slant patern is one that hits the man in stide. And that is a good pass???

DUDE the pass was ON the MONEY. It HIT Walker's hands, he just could not make the catch!! GET OVER IT

NO...U GET OVER IT...IT WAS NOT A GOOD PASS AND THE HOMERISM combined with becoming accustomed to Mediocrity IS BLINDING!

hey ttime, take a break and stop talking for a while....you are the only one to convince yourself of a bad throw....his throw was on the money, sure it was a tough catch, but it was there for him to catch it, and it bounced off his hands.

Hey ninerlifer...see above quote b4 telling me what I am doing with my eye-sight. But you are right though as I could show all of the evidence in the world and some people will remain to keep their opinion. Thanks for reminding me of that.

It seems that your homerism for the failure of Alex is evident....yet, still you are the only one to not see that the throw was there, the catch could of, and should have been made, and its embarrasing for you to keep harping that it wasnt.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

Swing to MRob was very catchable, just rewatched it. And Walked dropped the ball!!

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch tomake in traffic.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a reciever for an interption. Every ball that a reciever touches does not make it a good pass.

Doesn't have to be a perfect pass, it was catchable. Rule 1, you touch it you catch it. He had his hands on it and didn't bring it down, that's what his job is.

No. Rule 1 is that you make the decision to throw the ball to the right man and that your throw be good enough for him to catch it. It was a bad pass and he made a good effort to catch it. plain and simple.

Look what he has to do to get in a postion to even touch the ball. He has to jump in the air while turning his body wit a defender on him. A good pass on a slant patern is one that hits the man in stide. And that is a good pass???

DUDE the pass was ON the MONEY. It HIT Walker's hands, he just could not make the catch!! GET OVER IT

NO...U GET OVER IT...IT WAS NOT A GOOD PASS AND THE HOMERISM combined with becoming accustomed to Mediocrity IS BLINDING!

What is there for me to get over? I watched the play live and watched the ball HIT Walker's hands and bounce up in the air, falling into a defender's. Prettttty self explanatory that it wasn't Smith's fault... Big difference in comparison to the under thrown ball to V.Davis. Whine and complain about THAT one.

I'm not whining. I am disagreeing. I am not even going to touch the obvious. But I'm am pretty certain that Alex himslef would not agree that this was a good pass. You simply cannot force your player to make those type of adjustments on a slant pattern and call it a good pass. Ahhh...not feeling that one my friend.

Is this better for you

Skinny_Post

Sing felt Delanie Walker should have caught that pass that wound up intercepted; said he jumped early

Yes it is. I didn't see the early jump and up until this point it was never metnioned. It shows me that Sing is a good enough coach to not throw under the bus his starting QB who was outplayed by his backups.

Yeah outplayed by his backups playing against a 2nd/3rd string defense.

Now I do feel better: Oh wait...He is out starter so I don't:

"Smith missed high and away too many times, forcing his targets into the air and into harm's way.

Ted Ginn Jr. got blasted high on a screen pass, and Delanie Walker had a deep pass go off one outstretched hand and into a Colts interception. Smith also misfired on an open swing pass to Michael Robinson.

His worst throw cost the 49ers a touchdown. Tight end Vernon Davis got past the secondary on his signature deep post route, but Smith threw the ball behind Davis, who got turned around trying to reach the wayward pass."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=70183#ixzz0wiCYgx3p

MRob dropped a catchable ball

Smith and tight end Vernon Davis misread one another on the play where it appeared as though Smith missed a wide-open Davis by a couple yards over the middle. Davis adjusted the end of his route in a manner Smith did not anticipate.

Davis altered his route...

Alex on the Vernon miss... via MIKE SANDO

Smith and tight end Vernon Davis misread one another on the play where it appeared as though Smith missed a wide-open Davis by a couple yards over the middle. Davis adjusted the end of his route in a manner Smith did not anticipate.

"We had a Cover 4 look and Vernon is really the only look there," Smith said. "He ran a great route and really nodded the guy hard and got the safety to jump outside, then went inside. It was something I hadn't anticipated, something we hadn't had a lot of work on because obviously we are not running all our stuff right now."

Smith took a five-step drop and fired the ball.

"Threw it where I wanted it," Smith said. "It was just a communication where I didn't know he was going to go through that kind of a nod move there. It's something we'll look at on film. Maybe it's a deal where he ran such a good route, maybe it's something we go to, maybe not."

So the 11to85 chemistry needs to be worked on. Davis trying to be fancy and Smith too by the book.

hey ttime, take a break and stop talking for a while....you are the only one to convince yourself of a bad throw....his throw was on the money, sure it was a tough catch, but it was there for him to catch it, and it bounced off his hands.

Hey ninerlifer...see above quote b4 telling me what I am doing with my eye-sight. But you are right though as I could show all of the evidence in the world and some people will remain to keep their opinion. Thanks for reminding me of that.

It seems that your homerism for the failure of Alex is evident....yet, still you are the only one to not see that the throw was there, the catch could of, and should have been made, and its embarrasing for you to keep harping that it wasnt.

Hmmmmmm...NO. I am actually rooting for Alex as I can appreciate his hard work and character. And thus, I know that he can do better. What should be embarrasing though is your inability to simply accept my gratitude without thinking that I was being sarcastic. I can accept your opinion. I simply don't have to agree with it.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

What is there for me to get over? I watched the play live and watched the ball HIT Walker's hands and bounce up in the air, falling into a defender's. Prettttty self explanatory that it wasn't Smith's fault... Big difference in comparison to the under thrown ball to V.Davis. Whine and complain about THAT one.

I'm not whining. I am disagreeing. I am not even going to touch the obvious. But I'm am pretty certain that Alex himslef would not agree that this was a good pass. You simply cannot force your player to make those type of adjustments on a slant pattern and call it a good pass. Ahhh...not feeling that one my friend.

Is this better for you

Skinny_Post

Sing felt Delanie Walker should have caught that pass that wound up intercepted; said he jumped early

Yes it is. I didn't see the early jump and up until this point it was never metnioned. It shows me that Sing is a good enough coach to not throw under the bus his starting QB who was outplayed by his backups.

"Smith missed high and away too many times, forcing his targets into the air and into harm's way.

Ted Ginn Jr. got blasted high on a screen pass, and Delanie Walker had a deep pass go off one outstretched hand and into a Colts interception. Smith also misfired on an open swing pass to Michael Robinson.

His worst throw cost the 49ers a touchdown. Tight end Vernon Davis got past the secondary on his signature deep post route, but Smith threw the ball behind Davis, who got turned around trying to reach the wayward pass."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=70183#ixzz0wiCYgx3p

"We had a Cover 4 look and Vernon is really the only look there," Smith said. "He ran a great route and really nodded the guy hard and got the safety to jump outside, then went inside. It was something I hadn't anticipated, something we hadn't had a lot of work on because obviously we are not running all our stuff right now."

"Threw it where I wanted it," Smith said. "It was just a communication where I didn't know he was going to go through that kind of a nod move there. It's something we'll look at on film. Maybe it's a deal where he ran such a good route, maybe it's something we go to, maybe not."

So the 11to85 chemistry needs to be worked on. Davis trying to be fancy and Smith too by the book.

agreed i guess you cant put all the blame on alex like i did initially however most shud be i think he shudve noticed that davis changed his route

but what do i know im not a qb ot a coach
Like: Anthony Dixon, Mike Iupati, the Pick Six at a crucial time, Kyle Williams , all the back-up defenders, the new guy in for Kentwan Frickin Balmer, Baas

Didn't like: A Davis, Ginn as The Second Coming of Brandon Lloyd (alligator arms), how thin we are at RB, Peyton's big drive, any injury to Vernon

As far as Alex is concerned, I am anything but an apologist, but I won't throw him totally under the bus until the Anthony Davis gets more experience; Crabtree and Gore are playing; and, guys are not giving up the ball on the first play of the game. While I thought his performance today was pretty bad. He did not have great protection and many of his weapons were on the bench. While I gave up on him long ago, it is not yet time to moan about this season...

[ Edited by Bobbi9698 on Aug 15, 2010 at 14:54:49 ]
I like that Carr led this team with no hesitation and Dixon was a bowling ball.

I didn't like that we couldn't score on the Colt's starters.......
leave to Raye to call a third and long screen
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Is this better for you

Skinny_Post

agreed i guess you cant put all the blame on alex like i did initially however most shud be i think he shudve noticed that davis changed his route

but what do i know im not a qb ot a coach

I feel good about this team like most everyone here. We have capable and talented players. They just need time to play together in a consistent offense to get consistency. I have no doubt that they will this year.
Jesus Christ! Give it a f**king rest!!!
you guys are complaining way too much about our first team play. crabtree or willis didn't play and those are 2 of our best players. just wait until week 1 to make any assumptions.

When Nate Davis gets his chance he will not disappoint I think he should beat out the vet in carr for 2nd sting!

I would say if Smith remains the starter for the whole year than it is a good thing because it will mean he has played fairly well.

There is a lot of pressure and expectations on Sing now and he won't be able to baby Smith through a string of losses before giving Carr a shot.
Originally posted by bigmur49:

I would say if Smith remains the starter for the whole year than it is a good thing because it will mean he has played fairly well.

There is a lot of pressure and expectations on Sing now and he won't be able to baby Smith through a string of losses before giving Carr a shot.

Agree, but I think Carr is not the answer...he holds onto the ball too long and throws like a pu**y
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
you guys are complaining way too much about our first team play. crabtree or willis didn't play and those are 2 of our best players. just wait until week 1 to make any assumptions.

I don't think the worries come about them its more aimed at Alex and his lack of production ie; 1 300 yard game throughout career makes most nervous.
I'm disappointed in Alex Smith for muffing that Punt Return.
Share 49ersWebzone