There are 125 users in the forums

what you liked and didnt like ( PRESEASON WEEK 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Like: Dixon, Carr

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

If Smith remains starter for the rest of the year, we're in big trouble........

Swing to MRob was very catchable, just rewatched it. And Walked dropped the ball!!

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch tomake in traffic.

Walker touched it so he was able to get it, he dropped it.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a reciever for an interption. Every ball that a reciever touches does not make it a good pass.

Doesn't have to be a perfect pass, it was catchable. Rule 1, you touch it you catch it. He had his hands on it and didn't bring it down, that's what his job is.

No. Rule 1 is that you make the decision to throw the ball to the right man and that your throw be good enough for him to catch it. It was a bad pass and he made a good effort to catch it. plain and simple.

It was good enough for him to catch it but he didn't.

Look what he has to do to get in a postion to even touch the ball. He has to jump in the air while turning his body wit a defender on him. A good pass on a slant patern is one that hits the man in stide. And that is a good pass??? When interceptions occur on slant patterns they often look just like this.

Adjusting to the ball?!?!?! What's a professional athlete paid millions of dollars ever to do?
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

Swing to MRob was very catchable, just rewatched it. And Walked dropped the ball!!

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch tomake in traffic.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a reciever for an interption. Every ball that a reciever touches does not make it a good pass.

Doesn't have to be a perfect pass, it was catchable. Rule 1, you touch it you catch it. He had his hands on it and didn't bring it down, that's what his job is.

No. Rule 1 is that you make the decision to throw the ball to the right man and that your throw be good enough for him to catch it. It was a bad pass and he made a good effort to catch it. plain and simple.

Look what he has to do to get in a postion to even touch the ball. He has to jump in the air while turning his body wit a defender on him. A good pass on a slant patern is one that hits the man in stide. And that is a good pass???

DUDE the pass was ON the MONEY. It HIT Walker's hands, he just could not make the catch!! GET OVER IT

NO I'm not going to let you or anyone else tell me what I see. So, U GET OVER IT...IT WAS NOT A GOOD PASS AND THE HOMERISM combined with becoming accustomed to Mediocrity IS BLINDING!
  • PaulW
  • Veteran

Look what he has to do to get in a postion to even touch the ball. He has to jump in the air while turning his body wit a defender on him. A good pass on a slant patern is one that hits the man in stide. And that is a good pass???

DUDE the pass was ON the MONEY. It HIT Walker's hands, he just could not make the catch!! GET OVER IT

NO...U GET OVER IT...IT WAS NOT A GOOD PASS AND THE HOMERISM combined with becoming accustomed to Mediocrity IS BLINDING!
The ball hit both of his hands, in the NFL that is a pass that should be caught every time.
I was disappointed with the offense. Alex Smith could have done better. Every time I paid attention to Anthony Davis he was getting beat badly. But the only thing I worry about in preseason is injuries.

NO...U GET OVER IT...IT WAS NOT A GOOD PASS AND THE HOMERISM combined with becoming accustomed to Mediocrity IS BLINDING!

What is there for me to get over? I watched the play live and watched the ball HIT Walker's hands and bounce up in the air, falling into a defender's. Prettttty self explanatory that it wasn't Smith's fault... Big difference in comparison to the under thrown ball to V.Davis. Whine and complain about THAT one.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

Look what he has to do to get in a postion to even touch the ball. He has to jump in the air while turning his body wit a defender on him. A good pass on a slant patern is one that hits the man in stide. And that is a good pass??? When interceptions occur on slant patterns they often look just like this.

Adjusting to the ball?!?!?! What's a professional athlete paid millions of dollars ever to do?

My Man...You don't do that on a slant pattern and call it a good pass. Maybe on an out pattern where if the ball is tipped it is likely not going to be intercepted. But not on a slant in the middle of the field.

What is there for me to get over? I watched the play live and watched the ball HIT Walker's hands and bounce up in the air, falling into a defender's. Prettttty self explanatory that it wasn't Smith's fault... Big difference in comparison to the under thrown ball to V.Davis. Whine and complain about THAT one.

I'm not whining. I am disagreeing. I am not even going to touch the obvious. But I'm am pretty certain that Alex himslef would not agree that this was a good pass. You simply cannot force your player to make those type of adjustments on a slant pattern and call it a good pass. Ahhh...not feeling that one my friend.

I'm not whining. I am disagreeing. I am not even going to touch the obvious. But I'm am pretty certain that Alex himslef would not agree that this was a good pass. You simply cannot force your player to make those type of adjustments on a slant pattern and call it a good pass. Ahhh...not feeling that one my friend.

Is this better for you

Skinny_Post

Sing felt Delanie Walker should have caught that pass that wound up intercepted; said he jumped early
The throw to Davis was a worse throw IMO. He threw behind a wide open Davis. The pass to Walker was just bad luck. Had it been tipped and just dropped there wouldn't be this endless argument
right side of the oline sucks. They got whooped by back up defense

I liked a lot of the youngsters. Iupati looks like a refugee from the sasquatch tribe and Dixon, Dyrell Briggs, RJF, Bruce Davis, Tukuafu, and the young DBs Adams and Stoudamire. I do not think there is any doubt the OL is stronger and that offense did not score 37 points from accident. I think Carr did well and Davis looked professional. Nate looks so much more slick, competent and a starter. I think he could use more seasoning but even so I think he could smoke Alex Smith if he was given the chance. One thing about Dixon is that he appears to be a real nfl runner. I mean his technique in how he gets thru the line and he really finishes his runs. I suppose Alex Smith could win with the niners but he is like a jalopy going against F1s.
I was very impressed with the agility of guys like Briggs, Bruce Davis and Tukuafu. I think losing Balmer may have been a blessing. When you think these are way down the starter lists, we are sitting pretty well.

I'm not saying the decision to throw there was good, because it wasn't. But that doesn't take away from the throw he made. Receivers are paid to make plays and catch every pass thrown to them. Alex threw into a small window with precision hitting delanie. Unfortunately he couldn't come up with it. And I'll bet if VD was in the spot Walker was he would have made the catch.
In spite of the score there is a lot I didnt like vs what I did....

Is this better for you

Skinny_Post

Sing felt Delanie Walker should have caught that pass that wound up intercepted; said he jumped early

From Sando

Backup tight end Delanie Walker was to blame for the one interception Smith threw. The coverage was tight, but Walker had a chance at the ball, which bounced to a defensive back.

"Delanie jumped a little early and I felt he should have caught the ball," coach Mike Singletary said, "so it was just one of those things where the quarterback and the receiver have to continue to clean up and be more detailed on their routes, their decision-making."
loved Dixon! M. Rob sucked big time dropping a few catches. Smith was a little off but nothing to warrant this much of a pissing match from you guys. the first preseason game is always like this. he wasnt really that bad, i liked how he extended that play and almost made something big out of it. the pass to vernon was off, vernon says it was miscomunication. chill out. the sky is not falling. i didnt like that they didnt attempt more passes to the WRs early in the game.
Share 49ersWebzone