LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

what you liked and didnt like ( PRESEASON WEEK 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Like: Baas was solid at Center
Dislike: Rachel still has NO COJONES! HE IS SUCH A GIRL. 300 LB FRUITCAKE. I KNOW ITS ONLY PRESEASON BUT HES SCARED! Its already time to pull him out of the starting lineup. Im sure he practices well but he shows his hymen during games.
I do not like the same headlines as last year.
First team offence looks bad, 3rd stingers snatch the win. This has been the returnig story for teh past few years, and I´m sick of it!

I want to see some real progress in game 2 and especially in game 3.
Right side of the line getting owned. I know it was Davis' first start and he was playing against probowl D lineman, but he seemed to be regularly lost.

Rachal is still a liability in pass coverage. Is Snyder the 2nd team RG? Ugh.

-9fA
There were a number of positives that have already been mentioned, but did anyone notice how horrible our special teams looked?
  • bret
  • Veteran
Disliked the MRob fumble on the 1st play. Liked the fact that the defense held them to a field goal!

Liked Reggie Smith: besides the pick-6, he broke up Peyton's 3rd down pass to the end zone that held Indy to a field goal, so Reggie was responsible for an 11 point swing! He was also around the ball consistently.

I liked Iupati. He looked great!

I liked the fact that when the offense ran on 3rd and short inside the 10-yard-line late in the 2nd quarter (and everyone knew they were going to run), they really got some push with Dixon getting the first down!

I liked Dixon. He is the most promising looking runner since Frank Gore's rookie year!

I didn't like that Anthony Davis looked overmatched at first against Mathis. I wish Mathis had played longer to see how Davis would adjust. He did better as the game progressed, but it wasn't against Mathis.

I liked the play of Ricky Jean-Francois and Khalif Mitchell on the d-line.

Diyral Briggs looked outstanding! But then so did Bruce Davis. Who's Bruce Davis? He looks like he's not practice-squad eligible, but if keeps playing like this he might win a spot.

I liked Karl Paymah's break-up of the pass Reggie ran back. He had a couple of other good plays.

I didn't like what I saw of Stoudamire or Guillory.

Kyle Williams looks like a definite keeper! Let's hope we get to see him in the offense too!

I liked what I didn't see of Alex Boone, because I really didn't notice him, but understand he played virtually the whole 2nd half at left tackle. Their defense made no noise from that side.

Finally, I liked what I saw of David Baas. I was fearful of how his snaps would be from the shotgun, but though one was a little high, that was the only minor problem I saw. The center of the line didn't really seem to have any problems otherwise except one play in the 2nd quarter when they broke through on Carr. But the commentators were saying it was designed for Carr to get the ball out more quickly, so I won't pass judgment.

As I see it, we shouldn't judge these games by wins or losses, but by how the units are developing and how the players are responding to their challenges. Though not perfect, this game was very promising!

Laboy, Sims, Cody Wallace, Brandon Jones, and maybe Will James look like they have their work cut out for them to make this roster!
I like Anthony Dixon’s hard running style. He runs people over and he has very good vision, he is exciting so watch Although, I still think we need a small quick back if we want to run them screens. I thought Nate Davis and David Carr looked solid, even if it was against back-ups. I will make a judgement on Alex Smith after the OL begins to mesh and we have Crabtree and Gore on the field. I kind of had a feeling Anthony Davis was going to struggle in pass protection. Robert Mathis ain't no joke and the coaching staff left AD on an island against him. Iupati looked better in pass protection but he had bit of an advantage over AD because he was working between David Baas and Joe Stale, who both looked good out there. Kyle Williams I thought showed why he was brought in here to compete for returning punts and kicks, the rest of the kick return has to be more consistent at blocking. Defense? ...defense?....defense?....let's see. I thought they did a great job holding the colts to a field goal after the fumble, but that next drive Peyton manning let them have it. We don't have a superstar pass rusher but we scheme very well and are very good as a unit getting pressure on the QB. Unfortunately we don't game plan preseason games, so I'm not worried about it. Diyral Briggs, I think that's how you spell his name, did an excellent job beating his man and getting to the QB on numerous occasions. Briggs will see some playing time this year I’m sure of. I would liked to have seen more from our corner backs but I think our safeties as a group were fantastic, even May's looked good. I was expecting him to blow some one up or come up with a big play. Believe me, that will come with experience. Taylor May's showed that he can play in the NFL, he flew to the ball and made solid tackles. I’m still optimist about the 2010 regular season and shall I say it....Playoffs.
Was it just me or did Taylor Mays look heavy and slow our there?
Liked that I was able to watch the 49ers again
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Like: Dixon, Carr

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

If Smith remains starter for the rest of the year, we're in big trouble........
Metrosexual Alert!
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Like: Dixon, Carr

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

If Smith remains starter for the rest of the year, we're in big trouble........

Swing to MRob was very catchable, just rewatched it. And Walked dropped the ball!!

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch tomake in traffic.

Walker touched it so he was able to get it, he dropped it.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a reciever for an interption. Every ball that a reciever touches does not make it a good pass.

Doesn't have to be a perfect pass, it was catchable. Rule 1, you touch it you catch it. He had his hands on it and didn't bring it down, that's what his job is.

No. Rule 1 is that you make the decision to throw the ball to the right man and that your throw be good enough for him to catch it. It was a bad pass and he made a good effort to catch it. plain and simple.

It was good enough for him to catch it but he didn't.

Look what he has to do to get in a postion to even touch the ball. He has to jump in the air while turning his body wit a defender on him. A good pass on a slant patern is one that hits the man in stide. And that is a good pass???

DUDE the pass was ON the MONEY. It HIT Walker's hands, he just could not make the catch!! GET OVER IT

NO...U GET OVER IT...IT WAS NOT A GOOD PASS AND THE HOMERISM combined with becoming accustomed to Mediocrity IS BLINDING!

What is there for me to get over? I watched the play live and watched the ball HIT Walker's hands and bounce up in the air, falling into a defender's. Prettttty self explanatory that it wasn't Smith's fault... Big difference in comparison to the under thrown ball to V.Davis. Whine and complain about THAT one.

I'm not whining. I am disagreeing. I am not even going to touch the obvious. But I'm am pretty certain that Alex himslef would not agree that this was a good pass. You simply cannot force your player to make those type of adjustments on a slant pattern and call it a good pass. Ahhh...not feeling that one my friend.

Is this better for you

Skinny_Post

Sing felt Delanie Walker should have caught that pass that wound up intercepted; said he jumped early

Yes it is. I didn't see the early jump and up until this point it was never metnioned. It shows me that Sing is a good enough coach to not throw under the bus his starting QB who was outplayed by his backups.

Yeah outplayed by his backups playing against a 2nd/3rd string defense.

1st,2nd or third string, you cant fake accuracy.

Originally posted by baybreaker707:
ttime, that throw Alex made was not perfect but it was one of those throws where only the receiver could make a play on it, which is actually better than a perfect throw against tight coverage. I mean check this pass out...

I know you didnt just compare the catch to that bullsh!t Smith threw up to Walker, truthfully, neither one of them did a good job on that play.
In order of expectations/importance to team.

The Good:

1) RJF - This guy is everything we need at NT. I think he is going to be better than Franklin. He not only holds his ground, but has amazing quickness for a nose-tackle. His play blew me away, and at a position of big importance when you consider Franklin's contract status. His play was, uhh, the Balm.

2) Anthony Dixon - Wow. How the heck did we get this guy in the 5th(?) round? Big, quick, instincts, are you kidding me? He woke me up with his play, like a fresh cup of, uhh, espresso.

3) David Baas - I went into this game thinking Baas could play OK for us at center, but he surpassed my expectations. He had an excellent game. My gosh, he looks much more comfortable at center than he ever did at guard, and all the snaps were clean. What a relief.

4) Kyle Williams - He reminds me of a quicker, smaller Arnaz Battle. If he can continue to impress in the kick return game, a monster weight will come off this team's shoulders. He is really quick, and not a bad receiver either. Again, how the heck did we get him so late?

5) Diyral Briggs - He's only 230lbs? Strong, and all over the place. Another breath of fresh air.

6) Reggie Smith – I know huh? He is only at 6, but he played great. We need this kind of quality depth, and he could be our future as a starter. He has a good head on his shoulders too.

7) Mike Iupati – Down at 7 because I expected him to be really good, and yea, he's really good.

8) Nate Davis – Again, I expected him to play well, but he did flub up one play.

9) Chilo Rachal – He still makes mistakes, but not as many, and he dominated at times.

10) Taylor Mays - It was nice to see that yes indeed, Mays is a big, athletic freak.

11) Delanie Walker – He looks better and better each year, just like Davis.

The Bad:

1) Alex Smith – He did not have a poor game exactly, but due to how important the position is, it was disappointing. I'm not sure why he throws passes so high and hard, he does this too much. He also made some very nice throws, just enough to always give you hope. Its always two or three passes during the course of a game that just have you wondering. Missed a Davis touchdown, overthrew Walker, overthrew Davis. And yes, it is almost impossible to catch a pass with nothing but your fingertips; try it sometime.

2) Anthony Davis – I was expecting a better performance. It was disappointing how he played. On the bright side, its hard to believe how athletic he is, I mistook him for Delanie Walker several times. At least his mistakes were due to horrible initial positioning and communication, and not lack of ability.

3) Offensive play calling - I'm going to assume that it was simply because they were testing situations in pre-season. The Colts play calling was pretty poor as well.

Unfortunately, the only troubling play came from the positions that have been troubling us forever. Although there is more hope, depth and potential at RT and QB, the problems are still lurking there.
The preseason is meaningless, outside of seeing how rookies perform, and making sure no one gets hurt.

I wouldn't make much of anything I see from this game, or any.
Reggie Smith continues to impress me. Johnny on the spot with the pick six.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The preseason is meaningless, outside of seeing how rookies perform, and making sure no one gets hurt.

I wouldn't make much of anything I see from this game, or any.

That's what we said in 2007.
Share 49ersWebzone