LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

what you liked and didnt like ( PRESEASON WEEK 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Like: Dixon, Carr

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

If Smith remains starter for the rest of the year, we're in big trouble........

Swing to MRob was very catchable, just rewatched it. And Walked dropped the ball!!

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch tomake in traffic.

Walker touched it so he was able to get it, he dropped it.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a reciever for an interption. Every ball that a reciever touches does not make it a good pass.

Doesn't have to be a perfect pass, it was catchable. Rule 1, you touch it you catch it. He had his hands on it and didn't bring it down, that's what his job is.

What a great rule..............

That rule might be the most absurd saying in all of sports. It was probably started by some commentator. I don't think there is a human alive who can catch a football moving at 40 miles an hour with only their fingertips.

Have you ever played football?

Every single coach I have ever played for has said that. If you can touch it, you can catch it.

Walker has never been aggressive in traffic. He's not effective when asked to fight for the ball. That's been the book on him for a while now.

And finally the voice of reason, thank you Leg...I have been defending that rule all day.
I actually wrote an article about it...

You can find it here:

The good, the bad and the ugly

2nd Colts drive we had a lot of the starting DB's out.

I know...but it was the scheme that had me cringing. Looked like we were a bit lost.

Wasn't particularly moved by Wilhelm, either.
It's seriously peewee football s**t. Touch it, f**king catch it!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Like: Dixon, Carr

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

If Smith remains starter for the rest of the year, we're in big trouble........

Swing to MRob was very catchable, just rewatched it. And Walked dropped the ball!!

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch tomake in traffic.

Walker touched it so he was able to get it, he dropped it.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a reciever for an interption. Every ball that a reciever touches does not make it a good pass.

Doesn't have to be a perfect pass, it was catchable. Rule 1, you touch it you catch it. He had his hands on it and didn't bring it down, that's what his job is.

What a great rule..............

That rule might be the most absurd saying in all of sports. It was probably started by some commentator. I don't think there is a human alive who can catch a football moving at 40 miles an hour with only their fingertips.

Have you ever played football?

Every single coach I have ever played for has said that. If you can touch it, you can catch it.

Walker has never been aggressive in traffic. He's not effective when asked to fight for the ball. That's been the book on him for a while now.

And finally the voice of reason, thank you Leg...I have been defending that rule all day.

No worries, amigo. Let's hope the O gets their sh*t square next week.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The preseason is meaningless, outside of seeing how rookies perform, and making sure no one gets hurt.

I wouldn't make much of anything I see from this game, or any.

i agree, people shouldn't get too excited or too upset about the game

just worry about injuries
Originally posted by teeohh:
The preseason is meaningless, outside of seeing how rookies perform, and making sure no one gets hurt.

this
Bruce Davis will be a steal!!!!
He got alot pressure on the QB

i didnt see any 11to85 chemistry hopefully that will get better throughout the preseason.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by teeohh:

this

^^yupp.. but real quick the O-line looked good and should continue to get better and as fun as it was to watch Dixon run behind this line I can't wait to see Gore run behind this line.
After rewatching the game Smith didnt do all that bad.... that pass was catchable... I believe Smith will bounce back the next game. If he dont Singletary should be looking at Carr and Davis as his new number 1 and 2 qbs. Dixon and Gore combo is going to be sick this year.... You see how Dixion is finishing off his runs.. by lunging forward and just moving defenders for extra yards.

Didnt like Anthony Davis Pass blocking .. OR some of our offensive coach playcalling 3rd and 8 and wr bubble screen cmon man ..... Use Ginn speed on a quick slant or a deep in ... something where he can have a chance. Once we get the run more establish I like to see more playaction calls. Nate Davis is developing just fine. Each time he gets in the game you just feel the momentum meter go up. And good things happen. I just wish they would give him a chance at the second string or even first string.

Time is running out of Alex Smith if he doesnt improve in the next two games, Singletary will have to cut his ties wit Mr. Smith
Overall you have to feel good about this game. The team is better in every way from last year offensively, defensively and on special teams, with far more depth at every position.

There are the usual nervous areas. Smith should be better now, and probably will be, but he showed too much of the locking onto receivers and inaccuracy that bedeviled him before. The good news is that Carr and Davis are viable replacements.

There is the question of the Sing/Raye offense.

In the end, the same questions and possible weaknesses, but with clearly some new strengths. The team could end up with a couple of more wins, but remember that a conservative offense means it is more likely that a couple of weaker teams could stay close and win.

Originally posted by new49er:

i didnt see any 11to85 chemistry hopefully that will get better throughout the preseason.

that pass to vd was behind him and would have been a TD.

besides the obvious things like dixon and carr. nate byham and tony curtis looked pretty good.
Originally posted by maya0724:
After rewatching the game Smith didnt do all that bad.... that pass was catchable... I believe Smith will bounce back the next game. If he dont Singletary should be looking at Carr and Davis as his new number 1 and 2 qbs. Dixon and Gore combo is going to be sick this year.... You see how Dixion is finishing off his runs.. by lunging forward and just moving defenders for extra yards.

Didnt like Anthony Davis Pass blocking .. OR some of our offensive coach playcalling 3rd and 8 and wr bubble screen cmon man ..... Use Ginn speed on a quick slant or a deep in ... something where he can have a chance. Once we get the run more establish I like to see more playaction calls. Nate Davis is developing just fine. Each time he gets in the game you just feel the momentum meter go up. And good things happen. I just wish they would give him a chance at the second string or even first string.

Time is running out of Alex Smith if he doesnt improve in the next two games, Singletary will have to cut his ties wit Mr. Smith

I don't see Singletary pulling a quick trigger on Smith at all. Smith will have the preseason and most likely some games into the season. Then if he's still annoyingly inconsistent Singletary might pull him. But I don't think it will get to that point at all. Unless the whole offense somehow stunk it up as a whole then anything goes at that point. I'm not worried about Smith. He'll be good to very good. It's the Oline that will most likely the weak link at the beginning.
Originally posted by Snider8706:

besides the obvious things like dixon and carr. nate byham and tony curtis looked pretty good.

It was behind him because VD threw an extra move into the route to free himself up and they had a miscommunication. They both said that. Come on man Smith hit Vern on that pass for like 10 TDs last year.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Snider8706:

It was behind him because VD threw an extra move into the route to free himself up and they had a miscommunication. They both said that. Come on man Smith hit Vern on that pass for like 10 TDs last year.

Hopefully we see more of him being that wide open more.
I'll tell you what I don't like, the right side of the starting O-line. Rachal and Davis got owned. I don't care if it was Davis' first game, first round picks should play better than that IMO. Don't get started on Rachal, how this guy is still starting is beyond me. He sucked last year, and it looks like he's gonna suck this year.

I didn't like Alex at first sight either. But since, I've read (Sando blog from ESPN) that some of the blame for his poor play should go to the recievers. He better improve the next time around though or I'll be on the Nate Davis bandwagon in a hurry.

Another thing I didn't like was the playcalling early on. I know it's preseason and teams don't really gameplan and what not, but come on Jimmy Raye! I would've never guessed that first play from scrimmage, run up the middle. With MRob of all people! Seriously! That first play was all I needed to see. The middle of the line got blown up, resulting in MRob getting mugged at the LOS and loosing the ball. BRILLIANT! Raye is a genius, lets run the ball with a 3rd string (at best) running back to start the game.

What I did like was Dixon. That guy looks like a beast. That guy is the ONLY reason the offense was able to move the ball during the game. Indy had no choice but to play run, which allowed the Niners QBs to throw the ball.
Briggs looked really good also. He looks a little bigger than he did last season, but still played with some speed.
Williams! Finally someone with the balls to actually return a punt! I got so tired of seeing the Niner punt returners call for fair catches last season.
Boone looked pretty decent against the scrubs. I wonder if he can RT?
Reggie Smith looked really good also.
Share 49ersWebzone