LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

what you liked and didnt like ( PRESEASON WEEK 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Rewatched the game to key in on the first team O. Smith did not look as bad as most are hinting at. Overall he played pretty smart and made some smart reads. Some of the throws were off or a little late but he was on more then off. I know the numbers don't look good but he played better then they look. With a little better protection, better play calling, and better timing with his guys....he should put up MUCH better numbers. After rewatching I feel better about his performance then I initially did. Ant Davis looked good run blocking but his pass blocking was either good or VERY bad, he needs more work with speed rushers. MRob looked like s**t for the most part, he cannot be counted on to lead this team if Gore goes down. Iupati looked very good and didn't make to many mistakes. One of the biggest issues was the lack of rhythm we had. We never created the opportunity to put the D on their toes and make them nervous. That blame is given to all facets of the O and needs to fixed ASAP if we want to create and sustain drives. What I would like to see next week:

1. Better accuracy and timing with Smith and the WR/TE's...but they are very close
2. Dixon running with the first team for a few series to compare him to MRob
3. Better protection from the right side and improvement from Baas
4. One of the fringe WR's to step up and take a lead..Hill-Williams-Z
5. Better play calling, no more passing on 3rd and short
6. More of an urgency from the O
Like: Iupati dominating people, All those defensive turnovers
Dislike: Anthony Davis's pass blocking skills, and Alex Smith looking very mediocre.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Like: Dixon, Carr

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

If Smith remains starter for the rest of the year, we're in big trouble........

Swing to MRob was very catchable, just rewatched it. And Walked dropped the ball!!

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch tomake in traffic.

Walker touched it so he was able to get it, he dropped it.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a reciever for an interption. Every ball that a reciever touches does not make it a good pass.

Doesn't have to be a perfect pass, it was catchable. Rule 1, you touch it you catch it. He had his hands on it and didn't bring it down, that's what his job is.

What a great rule..............

That rule might be the most absurd saying in all of sports. It was probably started by some commentator. I don't think there is a human alive who can catch a football moving at 40 miles an hour with only their fingertips.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

I'll instantly be on the Carr bandwagon the moment he changes his helmet!

that was an ugly helmet
i liked alex's pocket presence and his overall play

i dont like michael robinson, he's turruhbull

Swing to MRob was very catchable, just rewatched it. And Walked dropped the ball!!

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch tomake in traffic.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a reciever for an interption. Every ball that a reciever touches does not make it a good pass.

Doesn't have to be a perfect pass, it was catchable. Rule 1, you touch it you catch it. He had his hands on it and didn't bring it down, that's what his job is.

No. Rule 1 is that you make the decision to throw the ball to the right man and that your throw be good enough for him to catch it. It was a bad pass and he made a good effort to catch it. plain and simple.

It was good enough for him to catch it but he didn't.

Look what he has to do to get in a postion to even touch the ball. He has to jump in the air while turning his body wit a defender on him. A good pass on a slant patern is one that hits the man in stide. And that is a good pass??? When interceptions occur on slant patterns they often look just like this.

For the love of GOD that is not a slant pattern, it is a post! Look at most of the touchdowns by VD on those routes by Alex, he jumps because the ball is placed over the defender. He did not have to jump and turn his body, the camera angle just isn't ideal. As well it is said by Sing that it was Walkers fault and he jumped to early. Get over the Alex hate on that play, its just bias. Acting like the receiver had to jump for the ball is the biggest deal and doesn't happen in the NFL is CRAZY.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

That rule might be the most absurd saying in all of sports. It was probably started by some commentator. I don't think there is a human alive who can catch a football moving at 40 miles an hour with only their fingertips.

Or by coaches...

As an ex-quarterback -- and a receivers coach -- Wells has another standard, too. It isn't exactly a fair rule, but it's a good standard to shoot for: "Touch it, catch it," said Wells.

http://www.golobos.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040810aac.html

It's a rule that WR's are taught at an early age
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

No. Rule 1 is that you make the decision to throw the ball to the right man and that your throw be good enough for him to catch it. It was a bad pass and he made a good effort to catch it. plain and simple.

It was good enough for him to catch it but he didn't.

Look what he has to do to get in a postion to even touch the ball. He has to jump in the air while turning his body wit a defender on him. A good pass on a slant patern is one that hits the man in stide. And that is a good pass???

DUDE the pass was ON the MONEY. It HIT Walker's hands, he just could not make the catch!! GET OVER IT

NO...U GET OVER IT...IT WAS NOT A GOOD PASS AND THE HOMERISM combined with becoming accustomed to Mediocrity IS BLINDING!

hey ttime, take a break and stop talking for a while....you are the only one to convince yourself of a bad throw....his throw was on the money, sure it was a tough catch, but it was there for him to catch it, and it bounced off his hands.

Hey ninerlifer...see above quote b4 telling me what I am doing with my eye-sight. But you are right though as I could show all of the evidence in the world and some people will remain to keep their opinion. Thanks for reminding me of that.

The irony in this reply is priceless.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nuns:
1. Anthony Dixon: The obvious, this guy can run. I wasn't impressed by his speed to the hole (ie Garrison Hearst, fastest man to the hole) but he was very difficult to tackle. He is a big upgrade over Coffee as the backup. His stiff arm is pre-season legendary.

2. Briggs: I didn't like this guy prior to this game. He's put on some weight, and is still very quick. He gets to the QB, hustles on every play and despite the fumble his pick was impressive. He won't see the practice squad this year or he'll be gone.

3. Anthony Davis: This guy struggled today. His pass protection was shaky at best and he looked lost at times. He's young, but need work

4. David Baas: Snapped the ball well today. Push at the center of the line for the first time in a while. The goal line push was excellent. I really like him at center next to the two young guards

5. Byham: I wasn't big on drafting him, but he reminds me of an Eric Johnson that can block. He has soft hands, runs well and can block. He made some mistakes, but I like this TE.

special mention: Nate Davis looks like a great developmental player. I hope he sticks around another few years.

^ what he said, and add Williams to the list, I love his quick acceleration upfield
on returns.

Our 6th round picks came up big today, wtg!

Longshots RDE #78 Walker and LB #47 Davis seemed to be around the ball all the time, I liked how they played also

[ Edited by cools on Aug 15, 2010 at 20:32:28 ]
I actually wrote an article about it...

You can find it here:

The good, the bad and the ugly

Originally posted by Legbreaker:

You can find it here:

2nd Colts drive we had a lot of the starting DB's out.
Two Big plus's from this game is David Baas playing well and RJF playing much better than I expected.

The other big plus is our defensive depth looked very good, would have liked to seen bowman play though.

You can find it here:

Good take on the game but I think Smith was worse then middle of the road today. He was inaccurate even on short passes.

[ Edited by nflguy49 on Aug 15, 2010 at 20:43:56 ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Have you ever played football?

Every single coach I have ever played for has said that. If you can touch it, you can catch it.

Walker has never been aggressive in traffic. He's not effective when asked to fight for the ball. That's been the book on him for a while now.
Originally posted by nflguy49:

You can find it here:

Good take on the game but I think Smith was worse then middle of the road today. He was inaccurate even on short passes.

1. Swing pass to MRob on the left was catchable
2. Dump to MRob on the right was bad but it was mid scramble and better it was incomplete then a sack...broken play from pass protection
3. Smoke route to Ginn was a little high but catchable, MRob was late and missed picking up the DB who killed Ginn....even if it was perfect he would of been KO'd
4. Incomplete to Vernon was a communication error, but behind him.
5. Walker's drop was just that, catchable but missed opportunity
6. Don't remember the route but it was a pass to Vernon on the left, Vernon was open while Smith was still in his roll out...once Smith cleared the line it was to late, that one was on Smith...he should of had it out earlier.

And that was all his incompletions
Share 49ersWebzone