There are 208 users in the forums

The Scot McLoughan legacy with the niners... what is it?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
anyone remember how Nolan made Alex Smith move a football around and in between his legs really quickly as a part of the pre-draft assessment process? What an idiot.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
anyone remember how Nolan made Alex Smith move a football around and in between his legs really quickly as a part of the pre-draft assessment process? What an idiot.

No! Like a figure 8 in basketball???? That is funny as heck! Any Vids on that?????
I think it'll be that he helped resurrect a floundering franchise, bringing in a number of good, high-character players. He had his faults, as all personnel guys tend to...but, I think overall he did a credible job. With him in charge of the draft, we'd never have taken Iupati in the 1st rd. But, he helped lay a solid foundation...which Baalke and Singletary are building on. I wish him best of luck in the future.
  • evil
  • Veteran

His biggest fails:

1) Alex Smith
2) Jonas Jennings
3) Nate Clements, for THAT price tag (otherwise a solid pickup)

His biggest hits:

1) Willis
2) Gore
3) Davis

I didn't give him credit for Crabtree because I think that was just lucky that he fell that far. Even I would have gotten that draft pick right.

1- Scot was not the trigger man when Alex was drafted so ultimately that is part of Nolan's legacy.

2- Again he wasn't the GM when JJ or Nate were signed, Nolan was so ultimately Nolan made the final call.

3- Willis and Crabtree would not be 49ers without Scot. Doesn't matter that MC fell to us, he still could have selected Oher or traded the pick had he chosen.

4- He had a hand in shaping this years draft board and is the man responsible for us having 2 first rounders.

5- He is also the man responsible for bringing the Nate Davis shaggin' wagon to 49ers faithful everywhere (but here).

Unbelievable. We should have known right there that something wasn't right.
Draft busts and quick flameouts
His picks seemed to be either bust or great. A few middle of the roaders thrown in but mostly either good picks or terrible picks.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Two strikes against Scot just got changed to indelible ink: Kentwan Balmer and Glenn Coffee.

I think his legacy will be some big hits and some big misses, and as well as an over reliance on certain physical characteristics, which made him pass up great players who didn't meet that rigid criteria.
Pick big players because big players are "better." Who cares if they are good or not?

Scotty f**ked our team for years.....
Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers
Baas with the 1st pick in the second round
Kentwan Balmer over Desean jackson, kenny phillips, ray rice
Glenn Coffee
brandon williams
just to name a few........the jury is still out on almost all his players except for frank gore
Pat Willis and vernon davis

Most of his best players were picked in the first 12 slots. It is pretty lame to not hit on those elites. What would he have done if most of our first round picks were in the 20 -30th slots? Considering all of his picks, especially all the high ones, I would rate him below average.

The top guards and centers each year are usually taken in the 2nd and third round. Here are his G/C selections:
Baas -2nd
Snyder -3rd
Rachel - 2nd
Wallace - 4th

How many of these look like Pro-Bowlers?
His legacy is FAIL
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
if the GMs of this team suck every time, then pretty soon the root cause is bigger than the GMs. We need new owners who know what the hell they are doing. Just because Eddie D was young when he took over this team does not mean that Jed York is the man for the job. I never heard of Trent Baalke until he got promo'd. I don't have any confidence that he will be the guy to outpick other teams and give us the tools for Sing to take us to the promised land.
if the GMs of this team suck every time, then pretty soon the root cause is bigger than the GMs. We need new owners who know what the hell they are doing. Just because Eddie D was young when he took over this team does not mean that Jed York is the man for the job. I never heard of Trent Baalke until he got promo'd. I don't have any confidence that he will be the guy to outpick other teams and give us the tools for Sing to take us to the promised land.

Jed has been President of the team for how long, one year? Balke got us the two best linemen available this year and fixed our biggest problem. That's a pretty good start. Let's see how he handles the Balmer-Coffee mess before writing him off.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
McLoughan's legacy just got worse today: bye bye Wallace (4th rounder), Hill (3rd rounder), Robinson (4th rounder?).
Share 49ersWebzone