LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 302 users in the forums

The Scot McLoughan legacy with the niners... what is it?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Who cares he is a SeaHawk now f@@k him.
Karl Paymah
I was always a fan of McLoughan's. When he was hired, we had guys on our roster that couldn't start for some college teams. Now some of the guys fighting for roster spots could start on other NFL teams. I know some ppl on the zone hate him but there is no question he made our team waaaaaaaaaaay better. He got us guys like Davis and Willis but the depth on our roster now is what sticks out to me
Originally posted by Draftology:
I was always a fan of McLoughan's. When he was hired, we had guys on our roster that couldn't start for some college teams. Now some of the guys fighting for roster spots could start on other NFL teams. I know some ppl on the zone hate him but there is no question he made our team waaaaaaaaaaay better. He got us guys like Davis and Willis but the depth on our roster now is what sticks out to me

He did a fair job improving the overall talent level. But to play devil's advocate, when he was hired, there was no talent on the team, so a drunk chimpanzee could have drafted people and improved the overall talent on the team.

NOLAN had the final say when we drafted many of the good players you speak of.
  • joe58
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Yep. Nolan was a crappy HC, but the man did have an eye for talent. McHiccup just took Nolan's advice.

I'm sure glad Baalke has the reins now.
Wasn't 2008 the only year that Scot had final say over personnel? In which case, he did a pretty awful job.
I think he did a good job. 90 percent or even more of the players that we have on this team is because of him, I was a little worried when he left but it seems Balke has an eye for talent (what he did this draft... If we do ok this season he will be perused to run the talent evaluator of another team...
Originally posted by joe58:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Yep. Nolan was a crappy HC, but the man did have an eye for talent. McHiccup just took Nolan's advice.

I'm sure glad Baalke has the reins now.

Nolan was GREAT at getting talent but a bad HC. for that I thank him. but Balke will do good things here.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I think Scott did well with 1st round picks and late round picks. But the middle picks for some reason usually failed. Off the top of my head, the only mid round picks that are true successes are Frank Gore and Dashon Goldson. Still, if you can usually hit on your first round picks, then your team is going to start looking pretty good in 5 years.

One thing that I am enjoying is seeing how Singletary brings out the best in players. I think he makes GMs look like geniuses by motivating players to do their best (VD and Alex Boone as examples).

McCloughan, though, was pretty passive as a drafter. He took the value that was available, and rarely seemed to try and move in the draft to get a key player. I liked Baalke's aggressiveness in this draft to make sure we got the players in the positions that we needed. That is becoming more key as we have fewer holes to fill in the draft.

One thing to say about Nolan. He really did do a great job building up the 49er organization. I was amazed at all of the quality assistants that chose lateral job transfers to join the 49ers. He also stressed drafting high character/hard working players which I believe changed the atmosphere of the team. We are now drafting more character risks than we used to, but I think with the current team atmosphere we can safely do so. But without Nolan's groundwork that would not have been possible.

Originally posted by fryet:
I think Scott did well with 1st round picks and late round picks. But the middle picks for some reason usually failed. Off the top of my head, the only mid round picks that are true successes are Frank Gore and Dashon Goldson. Still, if you can usually hit on your first round picks, then your team is going to start looking pretty good in 5 years.

One thing that I am enjoying is seeing how Singletary brings out the best in players. I think he makes GMs look like geniuses by motivating players to do their best (VD and Alex Boone as examples).

McCloughan, though, was pretty passive as a drafter. He took the value that was available, and rarely seemed to try and move in the draft to get a key player. I liked Baalke's aggressiveness in this draft to make sure we got the players in the positions that we needed. That is becoming more key as we have fewer holes to fill in the draft.

One thing to say about Nolan. He really did do a great job building up the 49er organization. I was amazed at all of the quality assistants that chose lateral job transfers to join the 49ers. He also stressed drafting high character/hard working players which I believe changed the atmosphere of the team. We are now drafting more character risks than we used to, but I think with the current team atmosphere we can safely do so. But without Nolan's groundwork that would not have been possible.

I'm willing to give Nolan full credit for all the moves made through '07 because the one year Scot had final say........Balmer, Cody Wallace, need I say more.

He lucked into Crabs last year...RJF looks good though.
[ Edited by znk916 on Sep 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Awful as a GM, decent as a front office employee
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Same legacy as Jerry Brown
its a joke, thats what it is
Share 49ersWebzone