There are 146 users in the forums

How do you rate Jimmy Raye as an NFL OC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How do you rate Jimmy Raye as an NFL OC?

Originally posted by Dominate:
Originally posted by LloydsKittyKat:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
I don't have any facts or figures, but I'd say close to the bottom. But he fits the bill because he won't be applying for any HC gigs anytime soon.
27th ranked offense, there's a fact that'll back up that allegation. Downright awful.

Crabs sat out to begin the season. Vern was starting to be called a bust and our Oline was terrible. Our starting WRs to open the season last year was Bruce(who retired before the season even ended) and Morgan who showed a lil promise but not much else.

Yeah, thats Rayes fault

If anything Raye is the reason we actually looked like an NFL offense the 2nd half of the season.

Thanks for all the excuses

Thanks for showing me you are not someone to discuss football with.

I was just calling a spade a spade. Every single offense on the bottom of the list every year can make excuses for why they were bad. For most of the season the offense was stagnant and had trouble on third downs, this was with Crabs and Vernon and without them. Regardless of personnel, the offense was generally bad all season.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
I don't have any facts or figures, but I'd say close to the bottom. But he fits the bill because he won't be applying for any HC gigs anytime soon.
27th ranked offense, there's a fact that'll back up that allegation. Downright awful.

Crabs sat out to begin the season. Vern was starting to be called a bust and our Oline was terrible. Our starting WRs to open the season last year was Bruce(who retired before the season even ended) and Morgan who showed a lil promise but not much else.

Yeah, thats Rayes fault

If anything Raye is the reason we actually looked like an NFL offense the 2nd half of the season.

Thanks for all the excuses

Thanks for showing me you are not someone to discuss football with.

I was just calling a spade a spade. Every single offense on the bottom of the list every year can make excuses for why they were bad. For most of the season the offense was stagnant and had trouble on third downs, this was with Crabs and Vernon and without them. Regardless of personnel, the offense was generally bad all season.

Actually you were sitting on a spade waiting for a flush draw an it never came. Thats because the cards were never there. Thats not an excuse, thats fact!
[ Edited by Dominate on Jul 10, 2010 at 4:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Kinda reminded me of Hawaii's offense at one point. When we were in the Shotgun we passed, when we were in I-Formation we ran. Little bit predictable if you ask me, so I'd say average at best.

I agree but I would point out that you should be able to be successful no matter the formation if your Line is at least average if not better.

I mean c'mon Kolohe how many years did Pittsburgh have success running the Bus up the middle. You knew it was coming but you just couldn't stop it.

Or better yet same with our team during the Dynasty years. You knew what was coming(unless it was a screen) but they couldn't stop us.

I do agree the plays could have been mizxed up better but I think that Raye showed his range last season. I think that puts him slightly above average given the success that we did have with that ramshackle OLine in front of our QBs'.

~Ceadder
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
OK. He did what he could with the tools he was given and changed it up when Alex got in.

Keep in mind that KC's high-octane offense years were with Raye as OC. Raye sure does love using the tight end--expect VD to break the all-time scoring record this season.
Look at where we rank in offensive yards and third down convertions.

He's the bottom 5 no doubt in my mind.
Originally posted by plinius9mm:
If you think he sucks, look at the talent he has to work with.

Give Raye the Saints offense and I guarantee you he will have a top 5 offense.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!
unless he proves me otherwise (and I am really hoping that he will...for the positive) I still rate him as below average.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Less than average.

And most of that sentiment stems from his playcalling. It definitely leaves a lot to be desired. He needs to recognize when to take stupid plays out of the playbook - e.g the Taser crap that we kept running. There is a definite need to be less predictable and more creative.

He can make decent adjustments at half time but fails to make major changes when necessary during the game. He also very often has poor opening drives.

-9fA
I think he's growing with the offense. I thought he did a good job of utilizing the offense in formations that they excel in;particularly spread forms. Just hope they can add a little variety as they grow and get these lineman run blocking properly. I expect a big year this time around and this time I actually believe our club can handle the expectations.
Share 49ersWebzone