There are 189 users in the forums

How do you rate Jimmy Raye as an NFL OC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How do you rate Jimmy Raye as an NFL OC?

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Finish this sentence: "Jimmy Raye strikes fear in the heart of ________________"

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
i hope the OL has improved enough so we can find out
Bottom of the league, no question. His playcalling is too obvious, his 3rd down calls are overly conservative and most of all I cannot see him guiding our offense to a Superbowl.
Anyone that suffers from the delusion that they are qualified to answer this question needs to put down the crackpipe.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Finish this sentence: "Jimmy Raye strikes fear in the heart of __Bingo tournament contestants____"

• Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
Finish this sentence: "Jimmy Raye strikes fear in the heart of ________________"

"Hi, I'm a gay face and my mom gave me anal with robot parts.. I built a gold robot!"

"Super, Vernon is for what give Gore! Me on brought points!"

"ZOING!"

"Fizzleee..."

"Power converters!!!"
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I think it's funny that 49ers fans kill Raye for his gameday calls, gameplans, etc. Isn't the head coach in charge of what the coordinators do in terms of executing the gameplans installed leading up to the game?

Basically what I'm asking is isn't Raye calling the games, the way Singletary wants?
Originally posted by 9erObsession:
Nobody is going to say Raye is elite. Most might get bashed for saying he is average. His play calling leaves much to be desired and hopefully opinions change bout him this season[/quote

yeah i dont have the stats either but i gotta say i was able to cypher when the niners where gonna run and pass. i was probably right about 60 percent of the time!!!!!! But it was probably, it was, due to the large amount of influence of Coach Sing. So i can only imagine,and witness, the opposing DCs thoughts on our playcalling.. They did seem to realize that we have some okay targets in the passing game torward the end of last year but we can only wait to see if they continue to let it fly, but w/ our new 700 lb goodies i dont see it happenin much early on. I just hope we realize that Gore cant do it with 8 in the box! I think its still a 50/50 shot we see a change at OC before next season. Although i hope we dont need to.
"RicetheFOURTYNINERSgoat"
Originally posted by FL9er:
I think it's funny that 49ers fans kill Raye for his gameday calls, gameplans, etc. Isn't the head coach in charge of what the coordinators do in terms of executing the gameplans installed leading up to the game?

Basically what I'm asking is isn't Raye calling the games, the way Singletary wants?

Oh no, I agree with you but we are all pretty confident that Mike Johnson will take over when Raye retires and that's the way the Niners seem to be leaning as well. I doubt his way of playcalling will be smashmouth run 70% of the time football that we are expecting this season. So unless Singletary wants to bring in a new OC in the next couple of years I think he's going to have to accept a more balanced attack.
Originally posted by FL9er:

I'd say yes and no. Singletary wants ball control to be sure. Unlike say a walsh, holmgren or Shanahan, he rarely interjects. He does expect that Raye will exploit the hole in the oppositions defense and adjust accordingly.

The only time he has said anything as far as I heard was when Martz was going overboard and looney with passing only and he demanded he realed it in.

so Raye has the decision to pass on first if he sees the doing something to leave itself open.

For the type of players we have he fits well. Not many OCs can utilize a TE the way Raye has done with VD. There are better OCs out there but not all of them fit our structure.
Originally posted by Dominate:
For the type of players we have he fits well. Not many OCs can utilize a TE the way Raye has done with VD. There are better OCs out there but not all of them fit our structure.

I'm not so sure on this one. I'm stoked we finally have an OC that utilized Davis for sure but let's also be real....it was the same exact seam route and teams finally started to get some game-film on it and it lead to some turnovers too. It's going to be very very difficult to have that same success this year.

As far as fitting his players? Had Hill played all 16 games under Martz, he would have been a top 5 QB in yards with the likes of Drew Brees. Guys such as Morgan, Jason Hill and Bruce excelled in the spread. When Singletary pulled back the reigns a bit, he was effectively able to utilize more balance AND Gore got his yards. Our o-line looked better.

Then last year, Smith came in, we drafted Crabtree. Suddenly, we had a team destined for the spread that also had Gore as our Marshall Faulk.

Instead, we forced our spread team into an cowbell, predictable offense they were not designed for by putting up 5 OL against 8 middle blitzing run defenders, praised Morgan as "a blocker," and then subsequently drafted two more enormous OL, another power "cowbell" RB and a blocking TE.

So, like we did under Nolan, are we trying to fit a square peg into a round hole again? Both Singletary and Raye have their "run at will" players so this year, will we see a balance of more gun and run, run and gun, mostly run, mostly gun or are we going to force feed our personnel into something they never were again?

If you look at all of our offensive players, ask yourself how many fit the spread (e.g. see Superbowl winners, the Saints) and how many truly fit the cowbell offense. My contention that even WITH the rookie OL, TE & power back, we are STILL better suited to be a pass-first, spread offense coupled with a balanced Gore attack esp. in the second half. And THIS is something every Niner fan can relate to (e.g. formally known as a WCO).

But under Singletary/Raye....THIS is the year to prove their ability to adjust to our players strengths OR show their stubborness and outdated philosophy on offense.

THIS is the year the coaches have no more excuses (e.g. see blame of OL last year).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 8, 2010 at 3:33 PM ]

Quote:
I'm not so sure on this one. I'm stoked we finally have an OC that utilized Davis for sure but let's also be real....it was the same exact seam route and teams finally started to get some game-film on it and it lead to some turnovers too. It's going to be very very difficult to have that same success this year.

I look at it this way, where else was Smith going to throw the ball to get those 13tds that VD got? Nobody else was capable last year. Vernon is our best player and we need to get him the ball to win games. As far as the seam route goes, thats all by design. Over the LBs and in front of the safties. If the safties try and cheat down on Vern this year we just send a WR over the top to his vacated area. Not easy to stop at all, especially with guys like Crabs and a burner like Ginn.

Quote:
As far as fitting his players? Had Hill played all 16 games under Martz, he would have been a top 5 QB in yards with the likes of Drew Brees. Guys such as Morgan, Jason Hill and Bruce excelled in the spread. When Singletary pulled back the reigns a bit, he was effectively able to utilize more balance AND Gore got his yards. Our o-line looked better.

Yards yes, he would have had a ton but he wouldnt have gotten enough TDs to go with it. Especially while not using your best offensive weapon.

Quote:
Then last year, Smith came in, we drafted Crabtree. Suddenly, we had a team destined for the spread that also had Gore as our Marshall Faulk.

Instead, we forced our spread team into an cowbell, predictable offense they were not designed for by putting up 5 OL against 8 middle blitzing run defenders, praised Morgan as "a blocker," and then subsequently drafted two more enormous OL, another power "cowbell" RB and a blocking TE.

So, like we did under Nolan, are we trying to fit a square peg into a round hole again? Both Singletary and Raye have their "run at will" players so this year, will we see a balance of more gun and run, run and gun, mostly run, mostly gun or are we going to force feed our personnel into something they never were again?

If you look at all of our offensive players, ask yourself how many fit the spread (e.g. see Superbowl winners, the Saints) and how many truly fit the cowbell offense. My contention that even WITH the rookie OL, TE & power back, we are STILL better suited to be a pass-first, spread offense coupled with a balanced Gore attack esp. in the second half. And THIS is something every Niner fan can relate to (e.g. formally known as a WCO).

But under Singletary/Raye....THIS is the year to prove their ability to adjust to our players strengths OR show their stubborness and outdated philosophy on offense.

THIS is the year the coaches have no more excuses (e.g. see blame of OL last year).

To be perfectly fair, we didnt know what we had last year. Crabs sat out to begin the season. Vern was starting to be called a bust and our Oline was terrible. Our starting WRs to open the season last year was Bruce(who retired before the season even ended) and Morgan who showed a lil promise but not much else. We didnt really implement the spread becuase it wasnt till about week 10 that we realized we had the talent to run it. And after week ten you cant just change the whole offense to something that nobody is familiar with. Thats just not a good idea for a number of reasons.

I agree though, this year the coaches have no excuses. If we dont come out firing TDs in the 1st half and then unleashing Gore and the ground game the 2nd half to wear down our opposition then something would need to be done. I`d say Sing would need to be fired for not utilizing his obvious offensive strengths. But they get a pass on last year and last year only.
I voted Better than Average.

It's because he can run an Offense on the fly and makes solid adjustments during halftime.

He would be better if he could adjust on the fly(ala Shannie) and could mix it up a bit more.

Other than that I really don't have a problem with him because with the Offensive Line issues that this team has had over the past 8 seasons it's hard to succeed. No amount of game planning can get an Offense to succeed on a 2:1 ratio when the QBs' are constantly running for their lives because of a sieve OLine.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone