LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

How do you rate Jimmy Raye as an NFL OC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How do you rate Jimmy Raye as an NFL OC?

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Does Jimmy Raye inspire confidence in you as a die hard niner fan? Keep in mind that if you vote "average", that means you think he is better than about 16 OC's in the NFL (technically that is the median, but work with me here).
I don't have any facts or figures, but I'd say close to the bottom. But he fits the bill because he won't be applying for any HC gigs anytime soon.
Nobody is going to say Raye is elite. Most might get bashed for saying he is average. His play calling leaves much to be desired and hopefully opinions change bout him this season
He's what we got so I hope he does a great job this year. Especially after all the bashing he took last year. Maybe if we start with a QB & finish with the same one he will do better. Maybe?
3rd and a bunch to go with a small lead against the colts in their house, FB run.
Near the bottom. He is very uncreative and has absolutely no game plan going into the game. It never ceased to amaze me how unprepared the 49ers were in the first half of games last year.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Near the bottom. He is very uncreative and has absolutely no game plan going into the game. It never ceased to amaze me how unprepared the 49ers were in the first half of games last year.

O-Line troubles were a major part of this, as was an offensive unit that wasn't familiar with its own plays. Hopefully both categories are improved this year.
Coordinators on bad teams are kind of a wash, coordinators that either rise mediocre personnel to great teams or coordinators that waste great talent are the ones that you can get a good read on...as far as we go, last season Raye has been working with mediocre offensive talent and led them to be a mediocre offense...while in KC he took above average (not great) talent and made them a top 3 offense with Trent Green I believe as QB...I dont think Trent Green-like playing is at all unattainable by Smith

Bottom Line, last season he was Average at best...but I'm not gonna write him off after only one season with the team
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
He's what we got so I hope he does a great job this year. Especially after all the bashing he took last year. Maybe if we start with a QB & finish with the same one he will do better. Maybe?

Good point, Shaun and Alex are different types of QB, lead to inconsistent gameplanning
If you think he sucks, look at the talent he has to work with.

Give Raye the Saints offense and I guarantee you he will have a top 5 offense.

Originally posted by plinius9mm:
If you think he sucks, look at the talent he has to work with.

Give Raye the Saints offense and I guarantee you he will have a top 5 offense.

Agreed. If we had a QB of Brees's caliber then we definitely would be a SuperBowl contender. However, we don't. I hope Alex can really utilize the full offense this year with all the checks and audibles. Then we will be in business.

Forever a stupidly optimistic Alex supporter. C'mon Alex!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:

O-Line troubles were a major part of this, as was an offensive unit that wasn't familiar with its own plays. Hopefully both categories are improved this year.

Ya, the O-line was a major problem last year. So was running the ball against 8 and 9 man fronts. Yet, Jimmy Raye KEPT RUNNING THE BALL. This isn't the 1930s. You must throw the ball to win in this league. And throwing the ball was something that Jimmy Raye refused to do until the team was down by 21 points.

Jimmy Raye is garbage IMO. The only benefit to him coming back is that Alex gets to play in the same system, under the same OC for the first time in his career.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
3rd and a bunch to go with a small lead against the colts in their house, FB run.

I was more surprised by the second half game planning. I'm going off of faded memory, but I seem to recall feeling that the opposing teams almost always made way better second half adjustments than we did.
Guess i'll just call him average at this point. I mean the guy has only been their for one year and they were 8-8. Let's see what happens this year.
[ Edited by DaveWilcox on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:16 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone