There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How do you rate Jimmy Raye as an NFL OC?

How do you rate Jimmy Raye as an NFL OC?

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
3rd and a bunch to go with a small lead against the colts in their house, FB run.

backed up against our own end zone, its pretty standard to center the ball for a good punt.
Average at best! He has some ridiculous playcallling sometimes, but has shown the ability to be creative and mix up a wide variety of plays. The problem is he uses the "variety package" about 30% of the time, and the "totally lacking any creativity package" the other 70%...
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 26,710
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Average at best! He has some ridiculous playcallling sometimes, but has shown the ability to be creative and mix up a wide variety of plays. The problem is he uses the "variety package" about 30% of the time, and the "totally lacking any creativity package" the other 70%...

I thought I read recently that the offensive personnel themselves also complained that their packages were completely predictable, esp when they planned to do a run up the gut? it had to do with the personnel package on the field and how they lined up. the defense could predict with high probability when we were going to run, and by extension when we weren't going to (i.e. when we would pass), and therefore only stacked the box when it was needed.

I don't think Smith was allowed (which probably means he wasn't deemed competent enough) to change the play at the line of scrimmage. If it was Favre or Manning and they saw the box stacked like that for the run, they'd change it to a pass play. I don't think we had that option ever. We'd develop a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" formation, and the defense would confidently respond accordingly.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Average at best! He has some ridiculous playcallling sometimes, but has shown the ability to be creative and mix up a wide variety of plays. The problem is he uses the "variety package" about 30% of the time, and the "totally lacking any creativity package" the other 70%...

I thought I read recently that the offensive personnel themselves also complained that their packages were completely predictable, esp when they planned to do a run up the gut? it had to do with the personnel package on the field and how they lined up. the defense could predict with high probability when we were going to run, and by extension when we weren't going to (i.e. when we would pass), and therefore only stacked the box when it was needed.

I don't think Smith was allowed (which probably means he wasn't deemed competent enough) to change the play at the line of scrimmage. If it was Favre or Manning and they saw the box stacked like that for the run, they'd change it to a pass play. I don't think we had that option ever. We'd develop a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" formation, and the defense would confidently respond accordingly.

I sure hope Smith's new thorough understanding of the offense finally allows him to do that! For all of our sakes...
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
3rd and a bunch to go with a small lead against the colts in their house, FB run.

backed up against our own end zone, its pretty standard to center the ball for a good punt.

at the very least, hand it off to Gore, maybe he can break a tackle or two and u know, get a first down.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
3rd and a bunch to go with a small lead against the colts in their house, FB run.

backed up against our own end zone, its pretty standard to center the ball for a good punt.

at the very least, hand it off to Gore, maybe he can break a tackle or two and u know, get a first down.

Btw, "center the ball for a punt?" don't think I've ever seen another team do that
In a league that passes the ball 60% of the time this guy still motions his receivers into the backfield.

Amongst the worse. Bottom 5. Teams that play power football bring in a 6th lineman when they want extra beef. They don't motion everyone into the backfield and scream to the defense that we're running up the gut.
Hopefully we find our identity during pre season, we have a chance to be a dangerous offense, especially if Jones, Hill, Ginn and Morgan step up their game and give us an explosive passing attack, plus I'm excited to see if Kyle Williams can make an impact, another playmaker would be great.

But I like it that Jimmy Raye listened to his players and decided to go to a spread offense when they felt it gave them the best chance to win, he could have been stubborn and forced the issue of developing a smasmouth offense, but he is flexible and obviously wants to win, hopefully the running game will come around early and make the defense respect the run and make our playaction passes more effective
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,832
100% as bad as it gets. Good OC's gameplan to maximize their talent and attack the specific weaknesses of the defense being faced that week. Jimmy Raye never did that. Him and his FB dives. I will never forgive that man for losing us the Minnesota game with his bulls**t p***y playcalling on the last 2 drives.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
100% as bad as it gets. Good OC's gameplan to maximize their talent and attack the specific weaknesses of the defense being faced that week. Jimmy Raye never did that. Him and his FB dives. I will never forgive that man for losing us the Minnesota game with his bulls**t p***y playcalling on the last 2 drives.

Yeah his playcalling was so damn predictable, also showed he had no confidence in Shaun Hill to get the ball to our WR's
It took him half a season to realize the smash mouth running attack wasn't working. Then he over compensated by going to a pass only offense. How about some balance?
Last season the play calling was ultra conservative, especially late in the game. I am not sure if this was Sing telling Jimmy Raye or just Jimmy's conservative nature. The philosphy was let's not beat ourselves and put the outcome of the game on the defense.

This season, I want to see the offense opened up and be more aggressive, take a few chances. We lost a 2 games last year (Minn and Seattle) where we got too conservative and tried to run out the clock.
Average.

Of course we can all point at how conservative he is, how he runs up the gut 75% of the time, etc etc etc.

But the fact of the matter is, he was dealing with a sub-par QB in Shaun Hill. Then when they switched over to Smith, he was dealing with a NEW QB. The only other time Smith got reps was in the preseason. Even Raye admitted that he didn't fully trust Alex and his capabilites.

It wasn't until the Titans game last year where he finally opened things up at the BEGINNING of the game, as oppose to at the end when we were down by multiple scores. And what happened in that game? Smith throws 3 INTs.

Now I'm not a Smith basher, but all of the playcalling last year was a testament of how much trust Raye wanted to put in Smith. This year I believe will be different. Raye fully understands where Smith is, and Smith has had a whole off season to fully digest the playbook.
[ Edited by FourNine49 on Jul 7, 2010 at 11:12 AM ]
He sucks
Worst in the league.