There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

We should give up on all of our draft picks that don't play at a probowl level in their second preseason.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We should give up on all of our draft picks that don't play at a probowl level in their second preseason.

Sorry Memph, you're a very knowledgable poster, but I think you have this one wrong. I'm not disappointed that he is not playing at a "probowl level," I disappointed he's not even playing at a starting caliber level. That is not a good sign for a guy picked 11th overall. Moreover, it's not like he is just making rookie mistakes, the dude is just getting straight beat man to man, period.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 27, 2011 at 10:41 AM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Sorry Memph, you're a very knowledgable poster, but I think you have this one wrong. I'm not disappointed that he is not playing at a "probowl level," I disappointed he's not even playing at a starting caliber level. That is not a good sign for a guy picked 11th overall. Moreover, it's not like he is just making rookie mistakes, the dude is just getting straight beat man to man, period.
Haha, man I was joking about some of the posts I saw when I started reading this thread. He is a young kid with lots of potential, it just takes some longer to get it than others. He will come around, he is just taking more time than people like. Harbaugh will make the right call man, the best RT we have not playing left tackle will start.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Aug 27, 2011 at 10:46 AM ]
Haha, man I was joking about some of the posts I saw when I started reading this thread. He is a young kid with lots of potential, it just takes some longer to get it than others. He will come around, he is just taking more time than people like. Harbaugh will make the right call man, the best RT we have not playing left tackle will start.
There's also the fact that the new system set everybody back to a certain degree, so some of the value of his playing last year was lost in the transition.

I think Davis has a lot of upside, so I don't think it's quite time to start throwing 'bust' around. I do, however, hope that the competition at RT is legit between him and Boone. I want the best 5 guys out there on Sundays.
Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
There's also the fact that the new system set everybody back to a certain degree, so some of the value of his playing last year was lost in the transition.

I think Davis has a lot of upside, so I don't think it's quite time to start throwing 'bust' around. I do, however, hope that the competition at RT is legit between him and Boone. I want the best 5 guys out there on Sundays.

Seems like Harbaugh wants to win, so I am pretty sure the best player available will be starting. I am gonna put a little faith into my coaches vision. Motto for this year for me... "Keep your hopes high and expectations low"
Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but scheme has more to do with who you block rather than how you block. The problem I see is when you get a hat on hat, he just gets bullied. Again, I'm just going off one preseason against the Raiders, but he was completely dominated.Good thing the Raiders are known for have a great d line (Seymore, Kelly, Houston, an Shanny).

I can't wait to see him against Houstons D line.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but scheme has more to do with who you block rather than how you block. The problem I see is when you get a hat on hat, he just gets bullied. Again, I'm just going off one preseason against the Raiders, but he was completely dominated.Good thing the Raiders are known for have a great d line (Seymore, Kelly, Houston, an Shanny).

Looking forward to this as well, also want to see how Colin looks against a Wade Phillips defense, Alex as well. Hell, I have to say the team has looked better than I expected so far. Having a coach with actual head coaching experience has me looking forward to this season with less trepidation than I have in a few years now.

Here's to seeing continued improvement...
We'll find out before the season is over. I wonder if he could play guard
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We'll find out before the season is over. I wonder if he could play guard

I hope he can play RG because he looks much worse than Harris did at RT. Slow feet, no awareness, gets bullrushed way too easily. Hes the Taylor Mays of OTs
  • mike
  • Veteran

Raiders had a good line but what I'm afraid of his houston's lbs, which offer davis/rachal the speed/explosiveness mismatch they often get beat by. It also seems like raiders put their most explosive dlinemen against iupati and staley(shaunessy and seymour), whereas we saw the saints switch guys up more to get explosive will smith mismatched against davis.

Anyway, the scary thing about the texans is they're getting sacks from everywhere and the big named guys like mario williams and jj watt haven't even really been the guys getting the sacks. Linebackers Brooks reed and some guy named aldibi both have 2 each, but the list goes on with two more LB's having 1.5 each, and 4 more guys with 1 each. I guess it's a good test for our backups too because their sacks don't stop when the starters go off the field.
  • kush
  • Veteran
A bust? No. A disappointment? Big-time.
Originally posted by mike:

Raiders had a good line but what I'm afraid of his houston's lbs, which offer davis/rachal the speed/explosiveness mismatch they often get beat by. It also seems like raiders put their most explosive dlinemen against iupati and staley(shaunessy and seymour), whereas we saw the saints switch guys up more to get explosive will smith mismatched against davis.

Anyway, the scary thing about the texans is they're getting sacks from everywhere and the big named guys like mario williams and jj watt haven't even really been the guys getting the sacks. Linebackers Brooks reed and some guy named aldibi both have 2 each, but the list goes on with two more LB's having 1.5 each, and 4 more guys with 1 each. I guess it's a good test for our backups too because their sacks don't stop when the starters go off the field.

Hopefully, the fact that our offense plays against a 3-4 every day in practice will help....if not, I sure hope Harbaugh and Co dial up a lot of quick slants, screens and run plays....
He is still super young. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he like 20 when we drafted him? Obviously, you want an early 1st round pick to come in and excel, and it would be nice if he was playing as well at his position as Iupati seems to be at his, but A) I think RT is a tougher position and B) way too early to write the kid off. I do'nt think he's soft or lacking in talent, he's just not mentally where he needs to be. That's the part of the game that takes experience and coaching.

Let's not give up on him yet. In fact, being disappointed also seems to be a waste of emotion. Let the kid develop, take his lumps, and see where we are by the end of the year.
Hessian's right on this, and again, like so many other positions on the field, I just can't say they are a bust until they have had a great coach. Well, they got one, but he has only been here for 3 weeks if that. So guys like AD and Rachal to me are just college guys, drafted way too young, and desperately in need of great coaching. Okay, let's see what JH can do...or what he does. If he schidt cans Rachal, then my guess is, he figured chilo just didn't have it. Hard for me to believe tho that JH could have come to a decision like that being around these guys for such a short time. The piece i read about rachal and JH elsewhere, however, does make me wonder if chilo will be here or playing elsewhere this yr. This is a great game to see what our OL has been able to absorb in such a short period of time. Even the greatest coaches need some time, especially with the OL which is not the easiest position to play. My focus is going to be primarily on the OL tonite, starters and especially the backups. also I am curious if JH has been able to coach around our DBs and corners. Some hurt, some not, but DBs and corners are a great place to attack us...i wonder if JH has been able to scheme around them? We'll see shortly. As for alex, sure i'll see him and kap too, but my main focus will be as noted above.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike:

Hopefully, the fact that our offense plays against a 3-4 every day in practice will help....if not, I sure hope Harbaugh and Co dial up a lot of quick slants, screens and run plays....

Sucks to say it, but I called it lol. It was so blatantly obvious that we were going to get owned. and on both sides since iupati and staley got whomped too.