LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 169 users in the forums

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
I am a true believer that it is a waste of a pick to draft a O-Lineman in the first or early second round. Those picks should be for more skilled positions. We have wasted way to many early picks on them over the last 5-7 years.

Then your beliefs are extremely WRONG

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/36544-is-drafting-an-offensive-lineman-in-the-first-round-overrated

Here are all of the offensive linemen drafted in the first round from the years 2000-2007. I’ve left the recent 2008 lineman out of the mix, as they haven’t touched the field in the NFL yet.

2007: Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, Joe Staley, and Ben Grubbs.

2006: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Davin Joseph, and Nick Mangold.

2005: Jamaal Brown, Alex Barron, Logan Mankins, and Chris Spencer.

2004: Robert Gallery, Shawn Andrews, and Vernon Carey.

2003: Jordan Gross, George Foster, Kwame Harris, and Jeff Faine.

2002: Mike Williams, Bryant McKinnie, Levi Jones, Marc Colombo, and Kendall Simmons.

2001: Leonard Davis, Kenyatta Walker, Jeff Backus, and Steve Hutchinson.

2000: Chris Samuels, Stockar McDougal, and Chris McIntosh.

The players in bold/italic are the players who have not started or made a significant impact on their teams. Out of the 30 lineman drafted in the first round over the last eight years, only seven of them haven’t started or made an impact with their squad. That’s it—seven.

Many of those guys above are Pro Bowlers. From that list, I’d suggest that if you’re a team that needs to improve their offensive line, you draft one in the first round because that’s a 77 percent success rate, which I believe is higher than any other position.

Also, out of the last six teams to make the Super Bowl, seven out of the 12 lineman on the left side of their offensive line (often considered the strong or most important side) were first round picks, and nine of the 12 were first day picks. I think that says something toward the importance of drafting linemen.

I’m not saying that offensive linemen that are picked later on in the draft aren’t going to be good; there are certainly plenty of linemen that become excellent. Hell, the last two Super Bowl winners sported two undrafted free agents on their offensive lines each (Rich Seubert and Shaun O’Hara with the Giants and Ryan Lilja and Jeff Saturday with the Colts).

But, what I am saying is that if you desperately need to upgrade your offensive line, don’t pass over the talented but boring lineman just for the flashy skill player or rely on grabbing a lineman later on. You can’t beat a 77 percent success rate.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
Why are the niners not helping Davis at all by chip blocking his guy or leaving TE or RB on his side.. I dont understand why they always choose to leave him by himself when he is clearly getting whooped.

Its a calculated risk to accelerate his learning process. The team is still gunning for the playoffs, so by the time we get there, the hope is that he will have learned from all of his rookie mistakes. Its obvious he's making alot of em (could say that he cost us the Eagles game letting Smith's arm get batted, and the Panthers game letting the rusher get past him), but then again he could be learning from them. Time will tell, but better he take his lumps now, then in a crucial playoff situation.

That's a stupid way to coach a team. Costing games in the present to play in an imaginary game in the future.

That's not a stupid way, and its not the first time its been done. Besides, he did a pretty good job in Denver, he just had a bad game against the Rams. Occasionally they will have a TE chip or put Gore in the backfield to block just in case, but I like what they're doing. He's 20 years old, and if he doesn't start doing this now, he could get shell shocked come playoff time when you can't afford to help out as much and risk someone shooting up the middle and destroy Troy.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
He needs more time, maybe six years.

Haha I'm so funny

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Why are the niners not helping Davis at all by chip blocking his guy or leaving TE or RB on his side.. I dont understand why they always choose to leave him by himself when he is clearly getting whooped.

Its a calculated risk to accelerate his learning process. The team is still gunning for the playoffs, so by the time we get there, the hope is that he will have learned from all of his rookie mistakes. Its obvious he's making alot of em (could say that he cost us the Eagles game letting Smith's arm get batted, and the Panthers game letting the rusher get past him), but then again he could be learning from them. Time will tell, but better he take his lumps now, then in a crucial playoff situation.

That's a stupid way to coach a team. Costing games in the present to play in an imaginary game in the future.

That's not a stupid way, and its not the first time its been done. Besides, he did a pretty good job in Denver, he just had a bad game against the Rams. Occasionally they will have a TE chip or put Gore in the backfield to block just in case, but I like what they're doing. He's 20 years old, and if he doesn't start doing this now, he could get shell shocked come playoff time when you can't afford to help out as much and risk someone shooting up the middle and destroy Troy.

Its stupid if your supposed to be a contending team and your job is on the line as HC.
Yes, he is a bust.

Its stupid if your supposed to be a contending team and your job is on the line as HC.

That's very bad and it leads to coaches getting fired. That's why you should always have gm and a hc. the hc job is to win now by any means. While the gm and ownership have to win now but also look towards the future.

Coaches dont Expect him to suck...they expect him to get better. If he continues to play badly then I'm sure he'll be replaced, but fans are just impatient, it takes time, and I'm glad they haven't given up on this strategy yet.
Not a bust, but a statue! (thats a joke for smart people, see bust is also a term for sculpture of only the head, but a statue is generally the entire body, but wait it get funnier, see Davis has poor foot work and just stands there like a ... wait for it.... STATUE) LOLZ my lamest post ever! I think I will print it and frame it!
He is a kid, what is he, like 20 or 21 when we drafted him? Perhaps, he needs to be pulled out and watch the game to allow him to catch his breath and mature mentally.
Bust? No. Horribly coached? Yes.

Instead of being ballsy we decided not to hurt Joe Staley's feelings by not pushing him back to RT. -Anthony Davis is a PURE LT, his body trajectory/long arms/natural abilities showed this when he played LT for Rutgers.

You throw a complexive 'position-player' into a position he's never played once in his life and you're gonna see some growing pains. (10-to-1, the next HC who takes over will see this, and move Davis to LT.)

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:36:14 ]

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
He is a kid, what is he, like 20 or 21 when we drafted him? Perhaps, he needs to be pulled out and watch the game to allow him to catch his breath and mature mentally.

What bothers me most is he gets beat a lot because he is slow getting out of his stance and getting his feet under him on passing plays. I am not sure this is fixable. You can't teach quickness.
Originally posted by Faceless:
Yes, he is a bust.

nice insight
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
And we traded up to draft him.

i got all excited when we moved up, then when we grabbed him, I was like.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

i got all excited when we moved up, then when we grabbed him, I was like.

Yah it was the biggest let down since mini cd's.
Share 49ersWebzone