LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

What does Alex need to do this season to get a contract extension?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What does Alex need to do this season to get a contract extension?

How about we judge his performance by the only one of these options that is under his control... QB rating. I'd say a QB rating of 12 or better would be enough to deserve a good contract extension.

If Alex does that then I'm pretty sure we will make the playoffs. But plenty of teams have had good QB's and not made the playoffs. If we have a top 12 QB and miss the playoffs do we start looking for a new QB? No! We start looking for new coaches and players who aren't performing well.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by phresh:
Alex doesn't always have to win cames but he can never lose them.
He needs @ least 5 more TDs than int.
He doesn't have to be Peyton manning but he can be trent dilfer on the SB winning ravens.
Smith is not the type of QB who you ask to put the team on his shoulders. You simply ask him to
Play simple mistake free football.
Look @ Big Bens first 2 years, he only had like 17 TDs in each, they didn't ask him to win games
That just played simple, smash mouth, mistake free football.
I know Alex can do it and as a loyal fan I will stick by him until he makes a mistake lol!!!!
Then we an dump him off on some other team.

Okay so I love my Verizon DROID but as you can see the shallow keyboard allows me to make a few mistakes like missing letters lol. please forgive me my friend... I wish I was as AWESOME as you brada
Originally posted by darkknight49:
To some around here: 5600 yards, 72% completion and 55 Tds, 2 ints.

sounds reasonable. Although He also will have 17 field goals too. he's replacing nedney this year.
WIN
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Get the job done.....nuff said.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Draftology:
it's a combination of all of them. if he plays well, but the rest of the team doesn't and we don't make the playoffs he should still get an extension. but, if the rest of the team does really well, and he disappoints, he shouldn't get an extension.

IMO if he improves on last year's performance, he should get an extension. he is still one of the younger quarterbacks in the league and is only entering his prime.

Entering his prime.....
When would you say a quarterback's prime is? I would say from age 26 to age 32. He just turned 26. So do you think he has already peaked?

I dont know bro... i dont wanna say anything bad about Alex no more cause ninpho9er will get after me, plus he knows everything about football and flies dont
it's a combination of all of them. if he plays well, but the rest of the team doesn't and we don't make the playoffs he should still get an extension. but, if the rest of the team does really well, and he disappoints, he shouldn't get an extension.

IMO if he improves on last year's performance, he should get an extension. he is still one of the younger quarterbacks in the league and is only entering his prime.

Entering his prime.....
When would you say a quarterback's prime is? I would say from age 26 to age 32. He just turned 26. So do you think he has already peaked?

I dont know bro... i dont wanna say anything bad about Alex no more cause ninpho9er will get after me, plus he knows everything about football and flies dont
Whether you think he's good or not doesn't matter. Alex should be entering his prime at this point in his career like almost every other quarterback. His prime could be horrible in comparison to other quarterbacks but it is still his prime. It's only relative to him.
This is a playoff team on paper. Therefore, if they don't make it to the playoffs, then the blame will fall directly on Alex, Sing, and Raye.

If we do make the playoffs, I'm sure they will be extended.
Start hitting some of those deep balls that he still has problems throwing!
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Take advantage of the opportunity's that present themselves. Like...when Sing drops his pants?

Naw, seriously....he needs take charge of the offense, win. Pretty damn simple, just win.

Basically, we have to make the playoffs.

That said, if we make the playoffs at 9-7 and he has pretty identical numbers to what he had last year, then we should let him walk.

And if we miss the playoffs at 9-7 but Smith throws for 4500 yards and 25 TD's with 12 ints, then he probably gets an extension.

But again: if we make the playoffs it will most certainly because he is not only NOT a liability, but he is making plays, and emerges as one of the three or four best players on the team. I don't see how we can make the playoffs without him playing well, unless we have a bunch of injuries or the D completely collapses.

We need results from Smith, and the playoffs need to be that result.
I just need him to do two simple things:

1. Contribute on special teams

2. Make it onto the cover of Madden 2012

Then I'll know he is legit.

That would guarantee a 7 year $90Mil contract....at least
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Alex doesn't always have to win cames but he can never lose them.
He needs @ least 5 more TDs than int.
He doesn't have to be Peyton manning but he can be trent dilfer on the SB winning ravens.
Smith is not the type of QB who you ask to put the team on his shoulders. You simply ask him to
Play simple mistake free football.
Look @ Big Bens first 2 years, he only had like 17 TDs in each, they didn't ask him to win games
That just played simple, smash mouth, mistake free football.
I know Alex can do it and as a loyal fan I will stick by him until he makes a mistake lol!!!!
Then we an dump him off on some other team.

Okay so I love my Verizon DROID but as you can see the shallow keyboard allows me to make a few mistakes like missing letters lol. please forgive me my friend... I wish I was as AWESOME as you brada

Dont get me wrong buddy, its all kool...
Originally posted by Trajik1:

That would guarantee a 7 year $90Mil contract....at least

Unless -- of course -- the two picks come in the Super Bowl -- with the Niners a yard away from scoring a touchdown -- and both picks are returned for TD's and Smith's wretched performance in the big game drops his completion rate from 85% to 72%

You kinda have to look at this thing with rose colored glasses...
Share 49ersWebzone