There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Leroy Vann-NCAA Career Record Holder for Return TD's Is a Niner

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Gil Brandt said that the Ravens signed this guy...

Vann and his agent said the 9ers signed him.

so have i
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
This draft just keeps on giving

If I didn't know any better, I would think his his name was 5-4-3-2-1-touchdown after watching that hightlight.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

If I didn't know any better, I would think his his name was 5-4-3-2-1-touchdown after watching that hightlight.

Good pick up!
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

Does anyone already claim the nickname "showtime" first thing I thought of when I heard him say it in the interview
i would think that Bjones would have to look pretty god to not get cut . But on that note i think with the amount of talent we currently at WR whomever we decide on should be really good...we gots options
He looks good and the signing was good. But the level of competition was very low. It's a huge jump up from where he was playing to the NFL. So don't get too carried away.
How did this guy not get drafted? Am I missing something here? Those highlights were amazing.
I'm thinking this kid can be the breakaway speed as a running back s**t this kid is quick and fast !!!!!!
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
How did this guy not get drafted? Am I missing something here? Those highlights were amazing.

I'm guessing cuz he's undersized. He weighs like 175lbs I think. Great highlight reel though
Originally posted by Yetiman:
Watch the film...LeRoy Vann is a special PR/KR. The 49ers did a good job following up on this guy and signing him. Kudos to Baalke and Singletary on this one.

Agree great job scouting this kid.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He looks good and the signing was good. But the level of competition was very low. It's a huge jump up from where he was playing to the NFL. So don't get too carried away.

Agreed. If you watch the reel a few times, you'll see that the opponents' special teams coaching and execution leaves a lot to be desired...really fundamental mistakes and lack of discipline. Also, while Vann's speed looks otherworldly, it's in relation to what would be scrub players during any Division I team's tryouts. I don't see the range of return skills that DeSean Jackson has, who is the greatest college punt returner I've ever seen (go look at his Tennessee game highlights if you want to know what I mean).

That said, Vann is decisive and has good instincts, picks the best lanes, and has great accelleration from idle. Very impressive for a guy built like a fireplug. If he does make the Niner's squad, he could make opponents pay dearly for mistakes on punt coverage.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Apr 25, 2010 at 7:09 AM ]
He was undrafted for a reason yes he is a great PR or KR but thats about all he can play in the NFL. I don't think he can really play DB he is 5'8" a little to short. if he could play RB or WR and still do return then he would make it. plus with Ginn, Williams both being good KR and both playing WR there may not be an open spot for Vann.
[ Edited by dlance on Apr 25, 2010 at 7:59 AM ]
if you don't like the wildcat then why the hell would you want Vann to have anykind of role in it? makes no sense
[ Edited by jprchrds on Apr 25, 2010 at 7:58 AM ]
Originally posted by dlance:
He was undrafted for a reason yes he is a great PR or KR but thats about all he can play in the NFL. I don't think he can really play DB he is 5'8" a little to short. if he could play RB or WR and still do return then he would make it. plus with Ginn, Williams both being good KR and both playing WR there may not be an open spot for Vann.

IOW, he is (or could be) another Allen Rossum (with the Niners at the beginning of a career rather than the end). If he shows up (a big if) on SF's special teams in any way approaching his highlight reel, he could be a keeper on that basis alone. I'm hoping other teams aren't kicking off to us often next season, but in that case, you'd want an equalizer returning those kicks for points or field position. And if -- as I hope -- we're receiving lots of punts, same deal. Either way, you're looking at a player handling the ball perhaps a dozen or so times a game, which is more than any of your backup skill positions will do, so a special player there may make a big difference in the way the game turns out.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home