LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Leroy Vann-NCAA Career Record Holder for Return TD's Is a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
f**k yeah... this guy should be our main PR/KR and have Ginn and Kyle Williams focus on being WR's

Crabtree
Morgan
Ginn
Hill
Williams

I say zeigler and jones get cut or williams goes to PS and Zeigler hangs on the team.

Hill is by no means a lock, he must do 1. stay healthy and 2 be consistent, to make this team.

I personally rathe rhave a vet like Jones than Hill. But I like Williams to make the team.

Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Jones, Williams and Vann(CB, WR and RS)

Disagree with you on Hill. He's one of our best special teams players. He's often the first guy down to the field to make a hit and he's a good receiver when given the chance. He deserves one more year.

This year will prove it for him I think. There were rumors the 9ers were talking extension with him, I think it would be premature for that. He needs to stay healthy in TC to beat out Jones/Ginn/Williams for PT.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by dlance:
He was undrafted for a reason yes he is a great PR or KR but thats about all he can play in the NFL. I don't think he can really play DB he is 5'8" a little to short. if he could play RB or WR and still do return then he would make it. plus with Ginn, Williams both being good KR and both playing WR there may not be an open spot for Vann.

IOW, he is (or could be) another Allen Rossum (with the Niners at the beginning of a career rather than the end). If he shows up (a big if) on SF's special teams in any way approaching his highlight reel, he could be a keeper on that basis alone. I'm hoping other teams aren't kicking off to us often next season, but in that case, you'd want an equalizer returning those kicks for points or field position. And if -- as I hope -- we're receiving lots of punts, same deal. Either way, you're looking at a player handling the ball perhaps a dozen or so times a game, which is more than any of your backup skill positions will do, so a special player there may make a big difference in the way the game turns out.

I agree with you if he is way better then anyone els and they have a spot for him great. I don't think he can play CB in the NFL. if they need the spot for a CB that can play and they think Ginn and Williams can halden the returns then he is in trouble. because they both can play at WR if needed.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
So WTF... is he with us or the Ravens?...

Dude, he's a Niners fan..............
Holy s**t. This guy is fast and quick as hell!!! I think he'll definitely make the squad.
did i hear it right - that RB he nailed early on in the video- was that anthony dixon? the guy we drafted? i thought i heard dixon. haha
This guy is ridiculous.
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:

This draft just keeps on giving

i feel like im watching high school football
Originally posted by 2cents:
Leroy Vann on ESPN Gameday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9j6orxD7zA

my new favorite guy. freaking rocket ship, love it

I can't stop smiling.
I took a stop watch and timed him on the kickoff return around the 3:55-4:05 area.

From a complete stop, letting the ball bounce to him.. He ran back that TD -- 80 yards -- in 9.00 flat.

Most people lose speed after about 40-50 yards. Vann doesn't. He's got gamebreaking speed. You can't just half that into a 4.50 forty time. Accounting for lost speed, I'd say Vann runs somewhere between at least a 4.38 - 4.45 forty -- at least in games.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 25, 2010 at 16:42:40 ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I took a stop watch and timed him on the kickoff return around the 3:55-4:05 area.

From a complete stop, letting the ball bounce to him.. He ran back that TD -- 80 yards -- in 9.00 flat.

Most people lose speed after about 40-50 yards. Vann doesn't. He's got gamebreaking speed. You can't just half that into a 4.50 forty time. Accounting for lost speed, I'd say Vann runs somewhere between at least a 4.38 - 4.45 forty -- at least in games.

I'm glad you don't have other hobbies

but yeah, he definitely seems like one of those guys who has a faster "game speed" than a running speed.I can't wait to see how he looks in action against NFL caliber players.

Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I'm glad you don't have other hobbies

but yeah, he definitely seems like one of those guys who has a faster "game speed" than a running speed.I can't wait to see how he looks in action against NFL caliber players.

Three and a half more months to go. Can I bear it? .. I promised myself I'd take at least a month off before I start posting about next year's draft -- introducing players, etc...

All I have until June as far as sports where people are continually decked, smashed, and hit so hard they get flipped up in the air.. is hockey. Thankfully, we have a Bay Area team to be proud of that is still playing -- go San Jose Sharks.
wow, I hope this dude makes the team. Kindda makes the Ginn signing obsolete, no?
03/30/2010 - PRO DAY RESULTS: San Fancisco head coach Mike Singletary and quarterback coach Mike Johnson were both on hand at the Rattlers' pro day on March 18th. The other noteworthy player among the 14 prospects that participated was KR LeRoy Vann. Vann (5-8 3/8, 177) ran 4.59 and 4.62 in the 40, had a 35-inch vertical, a 9-10 broad, a 4.26 short shuttle and a 7.27 three-cone drill. Those numbers are not really a true barometer, however, due to the poor field conditions. He also did 16 bench press repetitions at 225 pounds. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
wow, I hope this dude makes the team. Kindda makes the Ginn signing obsolete, no?

NO.

Vann is better suited to be a PR only and that Leaves Ginn to handle KR duties.

KR Ginn
PR Vann
5,. 4, 3, 2, 1 Touchdown!

Wow, this kid is explosive. He TOTALLY reminds me of Darren Sproles...has just one gear and it's overdrive. I wonder if we could work him in as a change of pace back - someone who could run OFF-tackle once in a while?
Share 49ersWebzone