There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anthony Davis is a Niner!

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Barrows: Defenders Weigh-in on Rookie OT Anthony Davis

Quote:
June 16, 2010

Defenders weigh in on Anthony Davis

Some of the Tweets out of OTAs have left the impression that the 49ers' top draft pick, right tackle Anthony Davis, is struggling. That's not the case. It's just that it's more newsworthy, or in this case Tweetworthy, when an outside linebacker swoops in and disrupts the quarterback. And it's even more Tweetworthy when the player the linebacker beat is the top draft pick. Newspapers don't print stories when the plane lands safely, after all.

In reality, Davis' performance has been mixed, which is exactly what you'd expect from a 20-year-old rookie who played left tackle last season. His conditioning has improved from last month but still needs work. Yes, he's allowed linebacker Martail Burnett - hardly a household name - to get past him a couple of times. But he also stonewalled Ahmad Brooks in a practice last week and did a nice job pulling and leading the way on a Glen Coffee screen today.

Said Mike Singletary on the progress of Davis and fellow first rounder Mike Iupati: "It's going to be an up-and-down process. ... Right now, they're trying to learn. They're trying to learn the offense. Once we get into training camp we'll have a much better idea where they are because now you've got to play fast."

I went looking for more perspective on Davis this week and found the three guys who probably can give the best analysis. So what do you think of the rook?

Ahmad Brooks: "I mean, the first couple of days he wasn't looking all that good. But he's getting better just like everybody else. I mean, he's a rookie. Him being our no. 1 pick, that's why we're going to go after him, especially the defensive line. So he's been getting a lot of attention from the defensive line and the linebackers."

Q: Can you see why the 49ers drafted him?

AB: "He has potential to be a great player. We'll see. He just has to keep working."

Martail Burnett: "I think he's getting better. I think the hardest part for him is, like every rookie, transitioning from what you learned in college to what you have to know here. I think the hardest part for any rookie is learning the scheme. Especially against this defense. He's coming from a college scheme that's probably pretty basic. Here we're everything. We're up. We're down. You know, we're a 3-4 defense. One minute I'm a linebacker, the next minute I'm an end."

Q: Can you see why the 49ers drafted him?

MB: "Oh yeah. He moves. He's a big guy who can move. And if he latches onto you, it's pretty much over with. But I think what he brings to the table can really help us. I think he's really athletic for his size. He's really strong. And he's only going to get better."

Parys Haralson: "You know, it's hard to come in as a rookie, but I think he's getting better. He's working hard every day. I'd say he's got some things to work on, but he's got a good attitude and he's working to get better. He's got a strong upper body. He's working in that weight room getting stronger, and that's all you can ask him to do. He is making progress, a lot of progress."

Q: Can you see why the 49ers drafted him?

PH: "He can move. He can move his feet. He's got a strong grip, strong arms. He's got all the tools. He's just got to work to put it together."

-- Matt Barrows

All rookies struggle. I say give him at least a good 2 years before he becomes a good player.


As the 11th over all pick that I flew to NY, NY to see, he better not take two years to be good. I expect him to be good this year and great in two. There is no reason we shouldn't at least expect him to perform to the level of a Joe Staley, a low 20s pick.


Thats cool man. How was it? Do they charge you to watch the draft there? If so, how much?
Quote:
• The Niners ran their first 1-on-1 blocking drills of the offseason. Without full pads, they were more a test of technique than power or aggression, but I can offer a few observations. Of the two rookies, G Mike Iupati was up and down, while T Anthony Davis looked quite good; that is something of a reversal from many team periods this spring.

LINK

Why do I feel like starting 2 rookies is a bad idea?

This is why I was against getting 2 OL in the first. It just doesn't seem safe to start 2 rookies. Yes I know other teams have done it...but we don't have a QB with what you'd call a fast release either...

Lets hope it works out but I don't see our OL being THAT much better.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Why do I feel like starting 2 rookies is a bad idea?

This is why I was against getting 2 OL in the first. It just doesn't seem safe to start 2 rookies. Yes I know other teams have done it...but we don't have a QB with what you'd call a fast release either...

Lets hope it works out but I don't see our OL being THAT much better.

I think Mike Iupati will start at LG by week 1, but Anthony Davis at RT... I'm not so sure? I just hope we have someone better than Adam Snyder!
This is still practice but both rookies seem to be two of the five best o-line players on the team... starters. right?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
This is still practice but both rookies seem to be two of the five best o-line players on the team... starters. right?

Yes please
Anthony Davis switches agents

Quote:
Third first-rounder makes an agent change
Posted by Mike Florio on July 1, 2010 9:53 AM ET
Barely two months after the draft, nearly 10 percent of the first-round class has changed agents.

The latest? 49ers tackle Anthony Davis, the 11th overall pick in the draft, has parted ways with Sanat "Sunny" Shah and hired Drew Rosenhaus.

Rosenhaus informed us of the development this morning.

Shah has one other client -- 2009 first-round tackle Eugene Monroe. So the loss of Davis cuts Shah's practice in half.

Davis joins Redskins tackle Trent Williams (fourth overall pick) and Dolphins defensive lineman Jared Odrick (28th overall) as first-rounders who have changed agents. Odrick also hired Rosenhaus; to date, Trent Williams has yet to replace Eugene Parker.

Rosenhaus now has three first-round picks: Davis, Odrick, and Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (15th overall pick).

Given that camps open later this month, some 49ers fans may worry that the late change will result in another holdout, like the bitter dispute the team endured a year ago.

Fear not, San Francisco.

"This won't be a Michael Crabtree situation," Rosenhaus said. "I can assure you that."

Though it's not uncommon for players to profess a desire to sign in time for training camp, it's rare for an agent to do so. (Then again, Rosenhaus didn't say there will be no holdout; he merely said it won't be another situation that drags into the regular season.)

In the end, it could be that Davis simply doesn't want to hold out, and that he realized Shah's other client held out for 12 days last year.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Anthony Davis switches agents

Quote:
Third first-rounder makes an agent change
Posted by Mike Florio on July 1, 2010 9:53 AM ET
Barely two months after the draft, nearly 10 percent of the first-round class has changed agents.

The latest? 49ers tackle Anthony Davis, the 11th overall pick in the draft, has parted ways with Sanat "Sunny" Shah and hired Drew Rosenhaus.

Rosenhaus informed us of the development this morning.

Shah has one other client -- 2009 first-round tackle Eugene Monroe. So the loss of Davis cuts Shah's practice in half.

Davis joins Redskins tackle Trent Williams (fourth overall pick) and Dolphins defensive lineman Jared Odrick (28th overall) as first-rounders who have changed agents. Odrick also hired Rosenhaus; to date, Trent Williams has yet to replace Eugene Parker.

Rosenhaus now has three first-round picks: Davis, Odrick, and Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (15th overall pick).

Given that camps open later this month, some 49ers fans may worry that the late change will result in another holdout, like the bitter dispute the team endured a year ago.

Fear not, San Francisco.

"This won't be a Michael Crabtree situation," Rosenhaus said. "I can assure you that."

Though it's not uncommon for players to profess a desire to sign in time for training camp, it's rare for an agent to do so. (Then again, Rosenhaus didn't say there will be no holdout; he merely said it won't be another situation that drags into the regular season.)

In the end, it could be that Davis simply doesn't want to hold out, and that he realized Shah's other client held out for 12 days last year.

In bold are two points to pay attention to. One, you don't want a Crabtree-type hold out. Two, Davis doesn't want an agent where the only other client held out for nearly two weeks. Seems like a good move.
It's a little late to the post slightly off topic but it seemed like the A-Davis threads were pretty used up... Did anyone watch the interview with Davis on GoldenWarriors that's posted on the homepage. He came across as a little immature to me, first purchase an AMG. To reward himself after a good TRAINING CAMP he would buy himself a four dour Porsche. Seriously. It's way too early to make a call on whether or not he will be able to perform on the field but his demeanor is a concern.
That interview reminded me of the video clip on NFL Network last year with coach Sing saying to himself on the sideline, "Chilo's gonna make me knock him out." If he's anything like Chilo, it will take some time. I not going to draw any conclusions because we simply won't know until the pads go on. And, maybe he was just nervous, trying to goof around for the interview. To me it just seemed like an odd interview, anyone else?
Originally posted by ndrc81:
It's a little late to the post slightly off topic but it seemed like the A-Davis threads were pretty used up... Did anyone watch the interview with Davis on GoldenWarriors that's posted on the homepage. He came across as a little immature to me, first purchase an AMG. To reward himself after a good TRAINING CAMP he would buy himself a four dour Porsche. Seriously. It's way too early to make a call on whether or not he will be able to perform on the field but his demeanor is a concern.
That interview reminded me of the video clip on NFL Network last year with coach Sing saying to himself on the sideline, "Chilo's gonna make me knock him out." If he's anything like Chilo, it will take some time. I not going to draw any conclusions because we simply won't know until the pads go on. And, maybe he was just nervous, trying to goof around for the interview. To me it just seemed like an odd interview, anyone else?


Completely agree bro. I've always said I have a bad feeling about Davis but I do have to cut him some slack because he is only 20. I'll give him 3 years and thats it.
we need him to be good this year... ill think about 3 years from now 3 years from now...
Originally posted by ndrc81:
It's a little late to the post slightly off topic but it seemed like the A-Davis threads were pretty used up... Did anyone watch the interview with Davis on GoldenWarriors that's posted on the homepage. He came across as a little immature to me, first purchase an AMG. To reward himself after a good TRAINING CAMP he would buy himself a four dour Porsche. Seriously. It's way too early to make a call on whether or not he will be able to perform on the field but his demeanor is a concern.
That interview reminded me of the video clip on NFL Network last year with coach Sing saying to himself on the sideline, "Chilo's gonna make me knock him out." If he's anything like Chilo, it will take some time. I not going to draw any conclusions because we simply won't know until the pads go on. And, maybe he was just nervous, trying to goof around for the interview. To me it just seemed like an odd interview, anyone else?

Werent people saying the same thing about crabtree last season

that crabs was an immature diva?
I don't think he's an immature diva at all. I think he's immature in the sense that he's not a "man". Just watch the video, it was a little odd. He couldn't name five 49ers. I just get the impression he will not be mature enough or prepared enough to excel at the pro level right away. Again, I'm basing this only on the video so I hope I'm wrong. I hope he is able to play immediately because we obviously need him excel. But that interview....
Signs Point to Possible Anthony Davis Deal? -PFT

Quote:
Posted by Mike Florio on July 13, 2010 8:27 PM ET
As we wait for the first puff of white smoke that will mark the first first-round rookie deal of the 2010 season, the first whiff of burning incense could be coming from the Bay Area.

Then again, maybe it's simply covering up the smell of the marijuana.

Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area mentioned on his Twitter page that agent Drew Rosenhaus was at the 49ers' facility on Tuesday. Rosenhaus recently signed offensive lineman Anthony Davis, the 11th overall pick in the draft, as a client.

Though Rosenhaus could have been present to discuss business on behalf of other Niners clients, we've previously heard that Davis was closing in on a deal before switching from Sunny Shah to Rosenhaus. So, in theory, it wouldn't take all that long to finalize a contract.

Likewise, first-round deals typically culminate in a face-to-face meeting, with the agent typically making the trek to the team's facility.

So stay tuned. I mean, what else are you doing? Watching the baseball game?

I must admit I am skeptical. I think this had more to do with discussing Navorro Bowman's contract.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Signs Point to Possible Anthony Davis Deal? -PFT

Quote:
Posted by Mike Florio on July 13, 2010 8:27 PM ET
As we wait for the first puff of white smoke that will mark the first first-round rookie deal of the 2010 season, the first whiff of burning incense could be coming from the Bay Area.

Then again, maybe it's simply covering up the smell of the marijuana.

Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area mentioned on his Twitter page that agent Drew Rosenhaus was at the 49ers' facility on Tuesday. Rosenhaus recently signed offensive lineman Anthony Davis, the 11th overall pick in the draft, as a client.

Though Rosenhaus could have been present to discuss business on behalf of other Niners clients, we've previously heard that Davis was closing in on a deal before switching from Sunny Shah to Rosenhaus. So, in theory, it wouldn't take all that long to finalize a contract.

Likewise, first-round deals typically culminate in a face-to-face meeting,
with the agent typically making the trek to the team's facility.

So stay tuned. I mean, what else are you doing? Watching the baseball game?

I must admit I am skeptical. I think this had more to do with discussing Navorro Bowman's contract.

Yes but if what's in bold is true then it makes more sense for him to show up to discuss Davis than only Bowman. Who else does he represent, Goldson?