There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners sign DE Travis LaBoy

Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by miked1978:
not sure why people think this means we aren't going to draft an OLB?

We will, but it lessens the chance of that OLB being picked in the early rounds.

I sure hope not. You can never count on a rookie to make an impact in year one, and a one year deal with a player coming off an injury shouldn't change your draft board. or your long term plans.

You either like a player or you don't. This doesn't change any of our "needs" long term and may or may not affect them short term.

If our front office passed on an OLB that was the BPA because we signed LaBoy, I'd be pretty disappointed. I can't imagine he affects our draft at all.

If all we had was LaBoy, I would agree. When you figure we have Lawson, Haralson, Brooks, LaBoy and Briggs (who they liked enough to keep on the roster the entire year), that lets you know our OLB situation is pretty strong. And we were one of the top sack teams in the league last year even without LaBoy or Briggs (who might see more of the field this year).

Not saying we won't go OLB early, but like I said, this signing (IMO) makes that a bit less likely. Worst case, it gives us the flexibility to go in other directions (specifically OT, DB, OG, NT) early in the draft.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 20, 2010 at 4:42 PM ]
  • cools
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Johnster:
How many OLBs do we need?

A 3-4 team often carries 5 OLB's

Now we have Manny, Haralson, Brooks, Briggs and Laboy
with longshot Burnett on the roster too

Im not so sure Niners draft another one, cause they seem to really like Briggs potential

though there is a possibility Manny may be used as trade bait to move up in the first to get the OT they want
goodbye lawson....looks like laboy is a better pass rusher (4 sacks in his last 4 games before getting injured) and may come cheaper than lawson next year when lawson's contract is up
I think everyone trashing Lawson here would be regretful if the team did trade him. Lawson is very good at getting to the ball, sealing the edge etc. Everyone is fixated on the fact that he isn't an elite passrusher. For a guy who is very good in coverage and the other things I mentioned he still managed to get 6 sacks last year. Manny Lawson is better than alot of ppl give him credit for.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I think everyone trashing Lawson here would be regretful if the team did trade him. Lawson is very good at getting to the ball, sealing the edge etc. Everyone is fixated on the fact that he isn't an elite passrusher. For a guy who is very good in coverage and the other things I mentioned he still managed to get 6 sacks last year. Manny Lawson is better than alot of ppl give him credit for.

This.. keep lawson around pls.

Good signing w/laboy, now if only we could get a SS.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Im not trashing Lawson at all, I think he has developed into an excellent Coverage/Pursuit OLB, probably best suited as a 4-3 Sam

He a classy guy too, I will miss him if we trade him
I'd also prefer to keep him

But if the Niners were able to package #13 and Manny to move up to Okung/Berry territory or trade him to the Saints (who need that type of player) for #32

I'd be ok with that
[ Edited by cools on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:14 PM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
meh
Originally posted by elguapo:
goodbye lawson....looks like laboy is a better pass rusher (4 sacks in his last 4 games before getting injured) and may come cheaper than lawson next year when lawson's contract is up

It's more like "goodbye Haralson, you're terrible".
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by matt49er:

This.. keep lawson around pls.

Good signing w/laboy, now if only we could get a SS.
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
superbowl

might as well deliver #6 right now
I really wanted Graham
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
I really wanted Graham

Originally posted by teeohh:
I really wanted Graham

me too damn man.. i support you my man..
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Check it out...

Thoughts?

I believe we wont be selecting a OLB until later rounds now so you guys know what that means...Most likely no:Kindle,Graham,Hughes.

Great sign IMO that will give us great depth and great competition.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:17 PM ]