LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Alex Boone

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Originally posted by buck:
I think the coaching staff is going select players with an eye to the future.

I think Alex Boone is a lock to make the team.

He has shown the dedication to the game that the front office and coaching staff are looking for.

He has two opportunities.

1. back up at both right and left tackle
2. Compete with Anthony Davis for right tackle spot.

Nothing against Anthony Davis, but based upon what I saw last year, he might need better coaching to reach his potential.

This, This and This from Barrows(Joe Staley seemed to tweak his right ankle at the end of practice, although it didn't appear serious. Alex Boone filled in at left tackle with the first-team unit and looked good).This from MM (The 49ers showed some new looks along the offensive line, as Adam Snyder got first-team snaps at center but he also saw his first action at right guard. Backup left tackle Alex Boone, who has seemingly solidified his spot on the roster, saw his first action at right tackle). Things are looking up for Boone and both Davis and Chilo better pick up the pace. I think the coaches just fired a shot over the bow.

you dont take snaps with the first team unless you have skill. he is getting a real serious look right now.
I see Boone taking over the RT position by the 4th pre-season game. If not, by the third game of the regular season. As he continues to improve, I see him moving over to the left side and Staley moving back to the right side, by next year. Davis will be given all the chances to improve and will eventually move into the interior guard position because Chilo will get the pink-slip next year. Any players that Singleminded wanted will be gradually move off the roster. Baalke is very determined to remove all the soiled picks that Singleminded forced upon him during last year's draft.
He's a better pass blocker than Anthony Davis. I can't believe we picked that bum... Boone could maybe start at RT. What do you guys see so much in Davis?
i think davis could be a pro-bowl guard. He is just not grown up enough to play tackle in the nfl.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's a better pass blocker than Anthony Davis. I can't believe we picked that bum... Boone could maybe start at RT. What do you guys see so much in Davis?

I finally agree with you! Wow. ...maybe.
I never wanted to draft him, but since we did, i do hope he can live up to his potential. He has performed better than I thought he would last year
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

I never wanted to draft him, but since we did, i do hope he can live up to his potential. He has performed better than I thought he would last year
He was the worst RT in the league...
Anthony Davis could end up like another Davis -- Leonard Davis, fitting in best at OG.

Anthony would probably make a pretty good road-grading RG.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

He was the worst RT in the league...

Hey, my expectations weren't high

Seriously though, I wasn't expecting him to start every game, and he did progress. He showed some good things on the field too.

Don't lie to me SanDiego
SD: When you state that he was the worst RT in the league, is that your informed opinion, or is that based off of some stats or rankings? I knew the kid had some definite rough stretches last year, but I didn't think that he was the worst. I'm just curious as to what you're basing that statement off of.

Fourmore: While I see the opportunity for Boone to take over at RT this potential, it might be a little early to project him taking over for Staley. I'm not saying it's completely out of the realm of possibilities, but I'd like to see Boone do well in some regular season action before putting him at the most important position on the line.

Boone's been busting his tail since leaving Ohio St, trying to turn his life around and really become a professional football player. Easy to pull for a guy like that, and the competition will make us a better team.
Been high on Boone since watching him at Ohio State, and been worried about Anthony Davis after watching him closely in year 1 for us. AD sets up in pass pro fine most of the time, but he has terrible COD skills when his rusher doesn't run straight into him. He can't shift laterally and has horrible instincts for what the rusher will do, and his leverage blows. He just flat out doesn't belong out in space. Can he improve? Maybe... but I doubt it, and I don't want him getting our QBs killed just to find out.

Back to Boone... He has a nasty mentality, and not ideal but enough quickness to play either tackle spot. Boone is also much better at getting the 2nd level blocks that are designed on some plays. I prefer him at RT though, but he probably wouldn't do any worse than Staley if we need him at LT.

Davis is shorter and slow, and could potentially make an excellent RG upgrade for us without so much space to defend. I don't give a fu*k how much he makes or where he was drafted.... we need the best 5 blockers out there to finally crawl out of having a bottom tier OL in the league.

Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
SD: When you state that he was the worst RT in the league, is that your informed opinion, or is that based off of some stats or rankings? I knew the kid had some definite rough stretches last year, but I didn't think that he was the worst. I'm just curious as to what you're basing that statement off of.

He was listed as bottom 5 ( I think he was # 3 ) on either Outsiders Stats or PFF... one of those stat sites.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
He was listed as bottom 5 ( I think he was # 3 ) on either Outsiders Stats or PFF... one of those stat sites.

I heard he has small hands
NinerTalk's latest wonder savior.

How's his pass blocking?

Sucks just like the rest of them, right?
I jus hope these guys arent as bad as they seem
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Anthony Davis could end up like another Davis -- Leonard Davis, fitting in best at OG.

Anthony would probably make a pretty good road-grading RG.

I'm actually torn on the issue. I think that it is aweful early to be giving up on Anthony, but it Boone beats him out that he should play. OTC makes an interesting point Leonnard actually achieved some Pro Bowls afer his swich to G.

LT LG C RG RT
Staley Iupati Goodwin Davis Boone

The line above may actually be intriguing. I doubt it happens, and I'd bet Davis still starts at RT, but it is an interesting thought.. I wouldn't be disappointed if that were to happen.
Share 49ersWebzone