LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Alex Boone

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Reading through this thread, I really don't understand the fascination with Boone.

-9fA

Projected to be a mid-round pick and potential starter before his weight and behavior issues.

Many sites had him listed as high as the first round until his arrest.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Reading through this thread, I really don't understand the fascination with Boone.

-9fA

Projected to be a mid-round pick and potential starter before his weight and behavior issues.

4 year starting LT at OSU

A nasty mean streak and a desire to win as well...

-9fA

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here.

1. He seemingly still has weight issues. He is entering his second year of the NFL and we're still getting stories about how he's in the "best shape of this life." I remember hearing those same stories last season as well.

2. The number of years you start at college and the institution that you attend does not necessarily lead to subsequent NFL success.

I think Boone could be at best a backup RT. However, depending on what happens with Wragge, I see Boone on the practice squad again.

-9fA

1. He seemingly still has weight issues. He is entering his second year of the NFL and we're still getting stories about how he's in the "best shape of this life." I remember hearing those same stories last season as well.

2. The number of years you start at college and the institution that you attend does not necessarily lead to subsequent NFL success.

I think Boone could be at best a backup RT. However, depending on what happens with Wragge, I see Boone on the practice squad again.

-9fA

I think Wragge's the odd man out, unless both of Harbaugh's OL draftees fail miserably. He was valuable when there was no depth on the interior line, but lo and behold, there are a couple of new G-C rookie candidates. Heitmann's impending retirement gives him a ghost of a chance, but I just don't think it happens.

OTOH, there's little depth now at OT (and little depth is aging), and Snyder's skills -- or lack of, as some 'zoners would say -- notwithstanding, Boone has an excellent chance to make the squad at swing tackle. He has the size, experience, and nasty disposition, seems to have acquired an excellent work ethic, and it just remains to be seen whether he can be coached up to be a starting caliber player.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

-9fA

I think Wragge's the odd man out, unless both of Harbaugh's OL draftees fail miserably. He was valuable when there was no depth on the interior line, but lo and behold, there are a couple of new G-C rookie candidates. Heitmann's impending retirement gives him a ghost of a chance, but I just don't think it happens.

OTOH, there's little depth now at OT (and little depth is aging), and Snyder's skills -- or lack of, as some 'zoners would say -- notwithstanding, Boone has an excellent chance to make the squad at swing tackle. He has the size, experience, and nasty disposition, seems to have acquired an excellent work ethic, and it just remains to be seen whether he can be coached up to be a starting caliber player.

Boone has maintained his weight, that's the difference. He's a lot more focused and driven than he has been in the past. He appears to have his life in order off the field as well. How can anyone not root for the guy?
  • buck
  • Veteran
I think the coaching staff is going select players with an eye to the future.

I think Alex Boone is a lock to make the team.

He has shown the dedication to the game that the front office and coaching staff are looking for.

He has two opportunities.

1. back up at both right and left tackle
2. Compete with Anthony Davis for right tackle spot.

Nothing against Anthony Davis, but based upon what I saw last year, he might need better coaching to reach his potential.
Originally posted by RipFigler49:

-9fA

A nasty mean streak and a desire to win as well...

A possible great comeback story and who doesn't love finding a diamond in the rough?
Originally posted by buck:

He has shown the dedication to the game that the front office and coaching staff are looking for.

Nothing against Anthony Davis, but based upon what I saw last year, he might need better coaching to reach his potential.

Always felt Boone was perfect for the RT role. He's nasty and strong, but doesn't have that elite athletic recovery you want when out in space vs speed rushers. I think an OL of:

Staley----Iupati----Baas----Davis----Boone

could be a very nice starting line-up in the near future.

(haven't given up on Anthony Davis at RT, but at times, was reminded of Kwame... yeah, that scary)
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Always felt Boone was perfect for the RT role. He's nasty and strong, but doesn't have that elite athletic recovery you want when out in space vs speed rushers. I think an OL of:

(haven't given up on Anthony Davis at RT, but at times, was reminded of Kwame... yeah, that scary)

In defense of Anthony Davis, he was a 20 year old starting rookie playing under 2 OCs and Mike Singletary as HC for the majority of the season. In addition, he played besides an inconsistent RG in Chilo Rachal.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I think we will keep him (Boone) at OT just b/c we really dont have anyone else

Boone is a back up player
Originally posted by lifer49erfan:
Looking foward to seeing what Tim Drevno will do with this line. I can see Alex being used as a backup lineman but also with his size perhaps a blocking tight end and goal line tight end.

I have to agree with you. I see Alex Boone in a back up role too , and Harbaugh has shown that he likes more big guys on the line in the goal line situations ....... I think that Boone would fit that. Maybe he adds a little fuel to the competitition in camp.

I like that he seems to be showing more maturity in growing up and coming in in the best shape ever two years running.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Jul 5, 2011 at 9:32 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Boone is a back up player

Right now, I agree. Of course, you need good backups, and his 4 years at LT in college could indicate that he could be a good swing tackle. If that's the case, he'll be suiting on game day.

This, This and This from Barrows(Joe Staley seemed to tweak his right ankle at the end of practice, although it didn't appear serious. Alex Boone filled in at left tackle with the first-team unit and looked good).This from MM (The 49ers showed some new looks along the offensive line, as Adam Snyder got first-team snaps at center but he also saw his first action at right guard. Backup left tackle Alex Boone, who has seemingly solidified his spot on the roster, saw his first action at right tackle). Things are looking up for Boone and both Davis and Chilo better pick up the pace. I think the coaches just fired a shot over the bow.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by kezar49er:
This, This and This from Barrows(Joe Staley seemed to tweak his right ankle at the end of practice, although it didn't appear serious. Alex Boone filled in at left tackle with the first-team unit and looked good).This from MM (The 49ers showed some new looks along the offensive line, as Adam Snyder got first-team snaps at center but he also saw his first action at right guard. Backup left tackle Alex Boone, who has seemingly solidified his spot on the roster, saw his first action at right tackle). Things are looking up for Boone and both Davis and Chilo better pick up the pace. I think the coaches just fired a shot over the bow.

Share 49ersWebzone