There are 280 users in the forums

Alex Boone

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've always rooted for this guy. Sounds like he has gotten his life totally back on track. Early in his college days I think he was viewed as a potential franchise tackle before his behavior derailed his career, so I hope we might have found a diamond in the rough.

I'd love to see him on the roster as a backup, maybe one versatile enough to fill almost any position on the line in case of injury. Then see what he really has.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Hope he can give Davis a run, he needs the competition. Still wonder how it would have looked with Sims playing LT and Staley at RT...after coming back from injury. Davis needs to step up and I haven't heard whether he was at the Camp Alex?

Davis was there for Camp Alex #1 but couldn't make it to the last minicamp. I don't recall any info on how he looked at the first one, but then all those practices were closed to the press.

I hope an additional year of maturity helps both Davis *and* Boone!
Originally posted by MadMoneyMarshall:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Height: 5'11

Weight: 130

Im young, skinny, and have no skill, but at least Im not a trouble maker.

Hey Marsh, the odds of you making the active roster are even lower!!

Unless you can run fast. Then we can trade you to Al

Im so fast I make fast people look not fast.

:30

Bout just as fast as Wesley Snipes in Major League.....
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

Hope he can give Davis a run, he needs the competition. Still wonder how it would have looked with Sims playing LT and Staley at RT...after coming back from injury. Davis needs to step up and I haven't heard whether he was at the Camp Alex?

Davis was there for Camp Alex #1 but couldn't make it to the last minicamp. I don't recall any info on how he looked at the first one, but then all those practices were closed to the press.

They said he looked lighter and in better shape than last year

Thanks! The team needs stability at RT and RG so I hope one of these guys is ready. Both being ready would give the line some much needed depth (young depth!).
Originally posted by Digger:
I've always rooted for this guy. Sounds like he has gotten his life totally back on track. Early in his college days I think he was viewed as a potential franchise tackle before his behavior derailed his career, so I hope we might have found a diamond in the rough.

I'd love to see him on the roster as a backup, maybe one versatile enough to fill almost any position on the line in case of injury. Then see what he really has.

I think he's probably too tall to play interior OL, but a good swing tackle is a must for an effective Offense. I hope he shows up in the preseason. A. Davis should benefit from some competition. He seems like a nice kid, but I don't see much of a sense of urgency from him. Maybe Boone could help with that. If not, maybe Boone could take his job until the urgency shows up. Either way, here's hoping for a good, tough OL this year.
Maybe work him in as a RG as well? RG and RT
Originally posted by PTulini:
Maybe work him in as a RG as well? RG and RT

boone at RG ftw
I'd be fine with him being a swing tackle/guard like Snyder. At least until we officially lock down the RG position. Boone seems like a steal as a UDFA now. He and Vernon Davis are the success stories of the Singletary regime (only ones).
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'd be fine with him being a swing tackle/guard like Snyder. At least until we officially lock down the RG position. Boone seems like a steal as a UDFA now. He and Vernon Davis are the success stories of the Singletary regime (only ones).

As pointed out elsewhere, 6'7" is traditionally a little tall for a guard or center, although there've been a few as tall or taller. My guess is that he ends up as backup tackle, perhaps the first to come off the bench.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:

As pointed out elsewhere, 6'7" is traditionally a little tall for a guard or center, although there've been a few as tall or taller. My guess is that he ends up as backup tackle, perhaps the first to come off the bench.

With Kap's height, having a tall guard might be less of a problem down the road, but it certainly would be outside of the norm. Imagine interception resulting from the QB having unclear throwing lanes or, even worse, broken hands from tall helmets getting in the way.
Reading through this thread, I really don't understand the fascination with Boone.

-9fA
Looking foward to seeing what Tim Drevno will do with this line. I can see Alex being used as a backup lineman but also with his size perhaps a blocking tight end and goal line tight end.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Reading through this thread, I really don't understand the fascination with Boone.

-9fA

Projected to be a mid-round pick and potential starter before his weight and behavior issues.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

Projected to be a mid-round pick and potential starter before his weight and behavior issues.

4 year starting LT at OSU
Share 49ersWebzone