LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Alex Boone

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Davis is still young so I think his flaws are more a problem of maturity and experience. Remember he was but about 20 when drafted. So now he is only 21 going on 22. Most good linemen don't get drafted until they are 22. So I we shouldn't give up on him. Although, maybe letting him sit and watch may help him. He is still a very good run blocker, which is why he is still in there. However, if Boone is a better right tackle, perhaps putting Davis at right guard might not be a bad idea as someone mentioned because he will have help from the tackle and center, can't be any worse than keeping Chilo. As the niners said, putting their best 5 OL is the most important.

Its hard to blame Solari and use Seattle as an example-New staff wanting to go in another direction and no talent on the line to coach (which is why they made moves this off season to dramatically over haul their OL). No matter how good a coach is-if you don't have talent to work with it ain't going to happen.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Davis is still young so I think his flaws are more a problem of maturity and experience. Remember he was but about 20 when drafted. So now he is only 21 going on 22. Most good linemen don't get drafted until they are 22. So I we shouldn't give up on him. Although, maybe letting him sit and watch may help him. He is still a very good run blocker, which is why he is still in there. However, if Boone is a better right tackle, perhaps putting Davis at right guard might not be a bad idea as someone mentioned because he will have help from the tackle and center, can't be any worse than keeping Chilo. As the niners said, putting their best 5 OL is the most important.

Its hard to blame Solari and use Seattle as an example-New staff wanting to go in another direction and no talent on the line to coach (which is why they made moves this off season to dramatically over haul their OL). No matter how good a coach is-if you don't have talent to work with it ain't going to happen.

I completely agree, I just don't want our QB's to die, put him on the bench, let him learn, then let him play when he is ready.
Originally posted by WildBill:

Tell you what, I thought so too, but not so sure after watching these two PS games. Too often does AD either get no push... let his man slip off the block... or hit the 2nd level and miss a blocker altogether. Not impressed with his blocking all-around at this time.
I want Harbaugh to take the OLinemen aside before the next game and tell them that if they want to make the team and/or be starters he'd better not see a QB on the ground. Make that the focal point.
one of the best UDFA pickups we have made in a long time
How about Boone being TE eligible and used in both short yardage scores lined up right next to A. Davis , nice move Harbaugh.

Boone makes a great blocking TE
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:32 AM ]
He nasty. I like it.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
He nasty. I like it.

This. Glad he is our backup tackle this year
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
How about Boone being TE eligible and used in both short yardage scores lined up right next to A. Davis , nice move Harbaugh.

Boone makes a great blocking TE

Or Boone at left tackle and staley at te?
Originally posted by PTulini:
Boone will make the team.

Yes, he will.

Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Yes, he will.

Bmp...I loved re-reading this thread from all us experts
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I think Davis proved a few people wrong in this thread. He had some crushing blocks last night. Boone looked good too, but I'll reserve judgement for the regular season.
Originally posted by Nuns:
I think Davis proved a few people wrong in this thread. He had some crushing blocks last night. Boone looked good too, but I'll reserve judgement for the regular season.

Davis has still got some left in the tank, proving it by throwing around 2nd and 3rd string Vikings.

Boone will be the starter, and I can see Davis staying on as a backup at both guard positions.

I really like the depth I am seeing from this team!
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Originally posted by Nuns:

Davis has still got some left in the tank, proving it by throwing around 2nd and 3rd string Vikings.

Boone will be the starter, and I can see Davis staying on as a backup at both guard positions.

I really like the depth I am seeing from this team!

It's interesting because we have so much depth at guard now. I think they're going to keep Person at tackle with he and Boone being swing players. My guess is Slowey gets stuck on the PS if Leonard Davis makes the team.

Main players competing now:

C - Goodwin, Kilgore, Beeler, Slowey
G - Iupati, L.Davis, Kilgore, Boone, Slowey, Looney, Person
T - Staley, Person, A.Davis, Boone

If I had to guess, the depth chart would be:

C: Goodwin / Kilgore
LG: Iupati / Kilgore / Looney
RG: Boone / L.Davis / Person
LT: Staley / Boone / Person
RT: A.Davis / Boone / Person
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 11, 2012 at 8:59 AM ]
Boone had a good showing. It was nice to see the Oline maul the Vikings guys.
Share 49ersWebzone