There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Official Losers in first week of F/A (Article)

• ZRF80
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
So we're losers because we didn't want to spend a s**tload of $$ on players we don't need...interesting

No, we're losers because we were convinced that Alex is the future based on a handful of games. Kind of reminds you of how we were convinced that Hill was the man going into the 09 season, and JTO was good enough (backed by Smith and Hill) into the 08 season.

Point is.........considering that our philosophy on QBs has failed MISERABLY since Garcia left, you'd think front management would get a clue and actually look for a viable backup. At this point, our entire season rests in the arms of 2 BUST quarterbacks that have done nothing but lose for their teams.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
So we're losers because we didn't want to spend a s**tload of $$ on players we don't need...interesting

No, we're losers because we were convinced that Alex is the future based on a handful of games. Kind of reminds you of how we were convinced that Hill was the man going into the 09 season, and JTO was good enough (backed by Smith and Hill) into the 08 season.

Point is.........considering that our philosophy on QBs has failed MISERABLY since Garcia left, you'd think front management would get a clue and actually look for a viable backup. At this point, our entire season rests in the arms of 2 BUST quarterbacks that have done nothing but lose for their teams.

Some people will agree with this and some are gonna vehemently oppose, but even if one agrees, how could that issue have been addressed in free agency?

Just out of curiosity, what, exactly, do you believe "our philosophy on QB's" is?

The philosophy that you say has "failed MISERABLY since Garcia left," what philosophy is that?

And while we're at it, what would you propose as an alternative philosophy?

Go after a HOF FA QB, like Warner, perhaps? Hold him hostage til he signs?

Draft a stud QB out of college, like Flacco, or Ryan, or Mark Sanchez? Seems to me those guys were all gone before the Niners had a chance to draft them.

So what's your alternative? Jeff George? Trade the entire defense for Jay Cutler? Or are you just venting, again?
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Just out of curiosity, what, exactly, do you believe "our philosophy on QB's" is?

The philosophy that you say has "failed MISERABLY since Garcia left," what philosophy is that?

And while we're at it, what would you propose as an alternative philosophy?

Go after a HOF FA QB, like Warner, perhaps? Hold him hostage til he signs?

Draft a stud QB out of college, like Flacco, or Ryan, or Mark Sanchez? Seems to me those guys were all gone before the Niners had a chance to draft them.

So what's your alternative? Jeff George? Trade the entire defense for Jay Cutler? Or are you just venting, again?

Whats wrong with signing a guy like Warner ? Dont get me wrong. Im all for finding the next Montana or Peyton Manning. But there's a limit as to how far an organization should stretch to find the "one". For whatever reasons (we all have our own), Smith has come up short since he was drafted in 2005. Before him, we tried to compete with the QB caroussel of Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey, and Cody Pickett. Then we tried the Smith, Hill, Dilfer combo. Now we're going with the Smith, Carr, Davis trifecta.

The point is that with ALL of the above mentioned, the end result has been the same. So why keep playing these games ? We have a good core of guys on this roster, including probowl regulars in Gore and Willis (and hopefully VD). Fine, we want to test Alex's skills now that he has 2 consecutive seasons with the same OC ? OK, no problem. But since recent trends have proven that he may just fail, why back him up with someone that has had a career just as bad, if not worse ? In other words, we've pretty much put this entire season in Alex Smith's arm. If he passes, yippy. If he fails, the season is tanked cause Carr is not much better, and Davis is still on a learning curve.

I know there isnt much out on the market, but I gotta agree with Patrick Willis here. If you're going to make additions to a roster, why not add a game changer ? McNabb would have worked perfectly.......he couldve done for us what Warner did in Arizona.........buy us time. Arizona just did a piss poor job with Leinart, and thats why they're screwed now that Warner is gone. We could have gone a different way.

Instead, we pick up Carr. Imagine if Smith gets injured (happened before), fails (happened before), or worse. Im glad to know that front office, yet again, got it right for having someone that can pick up where we left off.

BTW, this isnt something that had to be addressed this offseason. This has been a continuous problem for us since we lost Garcia. Hence, my point that we dont learn from our mistakes.

Wouldnt you agree ?

Did you read the article? The beginning talked about big spenders not becoming successful and of course the example was Washington. What I gathered from the article is they feel like we have done absolutely nothing to HELP ourselves in a period which is designed for teams to do just that, and it is 100% correct. In that sense, we have been LOSING. We're losing opportunities to make this team better.
I'm pretty sure they said we were losers because we didn't address any of our needs and wasted money on a backup when we already have 2.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Horrible article. Jets add Cromartie and they are the big winners, yet the Bears add 3 impact players and the Lions have also made some nice moves.

Probably b/c Jets got a starting CB for next to nothing at all while the Bears had to pay a boatload of money for their guys.

But in terms of which teams added the most talent. Bears win hands down. Obviously value for money must have been a huge factor in this article.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I wish I could get paid for writing crap.

Me too, life would be a lot easier writing bulls**t on a weekly basis
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
The losers are the teams that overpaid for these 3rd tier players.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
We weren't losers in FA.

exactly we haven't even done anything but sign a backup qb and haven't lost anybody major
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I wish I could get paid for writing crap.

Me too, life would be a lot easier writing bulls**t on a weekly basis

You have to remember those reading this stuff are fans who want to be told that their teams are making the right moves by signing free-agents. Football writers have little to write about now so this is what you get.