There are 218 users in the forums

Niners had worst OL in 2009

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There were far worse offensive lines in football, and really, in the division (Rams). The Buffalo Bills had a different starting combination upfront in 11 out of 16 games, and they lost every starting lineman from their preseason projected lineup (most of them to IR). That is ridiculous. Our OL was not good at all, but it was not the worst either.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont care who we draft or who the Oline coach is, as long as Jimmy Raye is calling his unimaginative plays we are doomed.

Jimmy Raye is a good OC

He is cheap, he won't leave for a coaching job.

He switches it up- Fans wanted the spread, and they got it. When the spread didn't work, back to the run.

THE WORST OLINE IN THE LEAGUE and we were in the playoff hunt until the last month of the season.

Did you actually type that with a straight face?

While I would agree that he is probably very knowledgeable and may even be a good teacher, I would argue he is a horrible play caller. Most games not only was his overall game plan predictable, but the actual sequence of calling was some of the worst I've seen. It was the definition of insanity. But my opinion doesn't matter, just look at his track record.

With that said, I think we are talented enough and in a weak enough division that we should be able to make the playoffs next year.

P.S. It still bugs me that he didn't even let Davis attempt to get the record. I think we had at least three opportunities (Red Zone) and he didn't even look his way, calling nothing but run plays for Gore.

In the words of Denny Green, he is what we thought he is. That is mediocare.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=124887&highlight=davis

If it wasn't for Raye and Sing, V.Davis wouldn't even be in the Pro Bowl.He'd be another T.O., jumping up and down cheering after a 4 yard gain.
Davis should be kissing Rayes' hairy beanbag.

So V Davis wasnt one of if not the best blocking TE before Raye? All VD did was work on his hands. Besides that and fixing his 'tude its the same player. VD can thank VD for putting in the work(still has work to do)

Thanks for proving my point. I saw three bootlegs were the defense sold out and he got to the flat. I saw one post and the rest was him running straight up the field buring some LB. I know you play to your strength but he has to learn how to put his body in the right position when he runs other routes. He had way to many drops and many were very catchable because we all know Alex(who I like btw) doesnt put much on his passes. He was a great blocker before Raye, everyone knows that. Raye didnt fix his attitude, Sing did and Davis and Sing have both said that. Watch your videos next time before you use it against yourself.
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
There were far worse offensive lines in football, and really, in the division (Rams). The Buffalo Bills had a different starting combination upfront in 11 out of 16 games, and they lost every starting lineman from their preseason projected lineup (most of them to IR). That is ridiculous. Our OL was not good at all, but it was not the worst either.

Good job comparing the 9ers to 2 teams that had 7 wins between them.
Thanks for posting that Davis video. At the mid point it started to become comical. It was like watching the ultimate Madden cheeser/glitcher run the same unstoppable play over and over again. Any team that watched video on the niners must have known it was coming but there is nothing they could do about it.

Thank you

And hence, two teams that had worse Offensive Lines. What's your point?

Thank you

Well they both had more rushing yards then the niners and the niners clearly had a better RB. The 9ers only average 20 more yards a game then those bum squads. So I would say since the 9ers have a top RB and cant run better then the bills got to blame that bum ass OLINE.
this is the reason why it was 2nd & 11 or 3rd & 9 the whole season

Thank you

Well they both had more rushing yards then the niners and the niners clearly had a better RB. The 9ers only average 20 more yards a game then those bum squads. So I would say since the 9ers have a top RB and cant run better then the bills got to blame that bum ass OLINE.

Niners clearly had a better RB? I'm sorry to say, but Stephen Jackson is better than Frank Gore, and Fred Jackson is one of the most underrated players in football. He had 1,000 yards rushing, was 2nd on the team in catches, and was returning the majority of their punts and kicks. If that's not versatility, I don't know what is.

And bum squads? Since when did we become ELITE? None of the above mentioned teams made the playoffs and that's really all that matters.

Thank you

Niners clearly had a better RB? I'm sorry to say, but Stephen Jackson is better than Frank Gore, and Fred Jackson is one of the most underrated players in football. He had 1,000 yards rushing, was 2nd on the team in catches, and was returning the majority of their punts and kicks. If that's not versatility, I don't know what is.

And bum squads? Since when did we become ELITE? None of the above mentioned teams made the playoffs and that's really all that matters.

If you honestly think Jackson is better then Gore then get off this thread and think about suicide. Hes a better reciever than Gore but that has less to do about OLine play then running. For all of Jacksons career he has had a better OLine. Gore averages like half a yard more per carry. Stop with that crap. And a back who returns kicks(F. Jackson) has nothing to do with OLine, thats special teams. Gore is ten times the running back he will ever be. Should Reggie Bush be considered a great back because of his SP teams play? NO maybe a great SP teams player. The 9ers are an up and coming team, record is getting better gradually, but are an average team. There 8-8 record screams that. Why would you be comparing them to the worst team in football and another poor team? Because all there OLines suck.

Thank you

If you honestly think Jackson is better then Gore then get off this thread and think about suicide. Hes a better reciever than Gore but that has less to do about OLine play then running. For all of Jacksons career he has had a better OLine. Gore averages like half a yard more per carry. Stop with that crap. And a back who returns kicks(F. Jackson) has nothing to do with OLine, thats special teams. Gore is ten times the running back he will ever be. Should Reggie Bush be considered a great back because of his SP teams play? NO maybe a great SP teams player. The 9ers are an up and coming team, record is getting better gradually, but are an average team. There 8-8 record screams that. Why would you be comparing them to the worst team in football and another poor team? Because all there OLines suck.

You must not even know who Stephen Jackson is. Stephen Jackson is a top 5 running back in the NFL, probably more like a top 3. Gore is not. Stephen Jackson still tore it up this past season with absolutely nothing else on offense. He is not a better receiver than Gore either, nor has he had a better OL for most of his career. Get out of your bubble.

The returning point with Jackson was to illustrate how useful, versatile, and not far behind Gore he is talent wise; not anything to do with the OL.

I still don't get your point, because you are bouncing all over the place, but you definitely missed mine.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Our line was bottom 5 in the league. Lets fix the lines and everything else will fall into place

Thank you

You must not even know who Stephen Jackson is. Stephen Jackson is a top 5 running back in the NFL, probably more like a top 3. Gore is not. Stephen Jackson still tore it up this past season with absolutely nothing else on offense. He is not a better receiver than Gore either, nor has he had a better OL for most of his career. Get out of your bubble.

The returning point with Jackson was to illustrate how useful, versatile, and not far behind Gore he is talent wise; not anything to do with the OL.

I still don't get your point, because you are bouncing all over the place, but you definitely missed mine.

Your the one bouncing all over the place bringing up SP teams and recieving backs, Im just trying to dismiss those facts as they have nothing to do with OL. Reread what you wrote. Everything I wrote was based on OL play. So we disagree that you think S Jackson is a better RB then Gore which is ridiculous to me and thats not just because Im a 9er fan. Jackson catches the ball better but has been on a terrible team so his numbers have been down. I dont blame that on OL I say its becuase they had no other weapons.
You dont agree with me and said S Jackson is better then Gore. your opinion. You then brought up SP teams to somehow discredit Gore.
I said the niners have better guys to run the ball(not SP teams or recieving backs) then the bills and rams but those teams run the ball better. I blamed it on OL play. Very simple point. Keep your facts to OL play.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
this is the reason why it was 2nd & 11 or 3rd & 9 the whole season

I hated that s**t. But thats also horrible predictable playcalling. Defense knows its a run up the middle. They put 8 guys in there and most of the time the play never has a chance

Thank you

Your the one bouncing all over the place bringing up SP teams and recieving backs, Im just trying to dismiss those facts as they have nothing to do with OL. Reread what you wrote. Everything I wrote was based on OL play. So we disagree that you think S Jackson is a better RB then Gore which is ridiculous to me and thats not just because Im a 9er fan. Jackson catches the ball better but has been on a terrible team so his numbers have been down. I dont blame that on OL I say its becuase they had no other weapons.
You dont agree with me and said S Jackson is better then Gore. your opinion. You then brought up SP teams to somehow discredit Gore.
I said the niners have better guys to run the ball(not SP teams or recieving backs) then the bills and rams but those teams run the ball better. I blamed it on OL play. Very simple point. Keep your facts to OL play.

I brought up special teams to credit Fred Jackson, not to discredit Gore. My initial post was about OL and OL only. In the first sentence of your first post, in response to mine, you said that the niners "clearly" had a better RB. Well, that is your opinion but it is "clearly" not what the majority of NFL football fans would say. Who is WE??? And Jackson's numbers have been down because he has been injured; that is his only weakness, but a mighty important one. I am not a Rams fan by any stretch of the imagination, but S. Jackson is a beast.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Our line was bottom 5 in the league. Lets fix the lines and everything else will fall into place

I would dare to disagree.If a defense is determined to take away the run between the tackles, they can and will.Every one of the 5 OL can get pancake blocks and they'll still have 2 LB and a S left to make the tackle.I agree we need more talent on the OL, but with all of the injures, players being shuffled to new positions on a weekly basis, and a complete 180% change of QB and offensive philosophy at midseason ,I'm not sure what the OL would look like with some CONTENUITY.Certainly not the worst in the league.
Share 49ersWebzone