LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 244 users in the forums

Vernon Davis "is the focal point"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chief
  • Veteran
5 Hrs V. Davis TE SF
Vernon Davis expects to play a significant role in the 49ers' offense under the direction of new coordinator Jimmy Raye, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. Davis said, "Raye told me the tight end is the focal point. I am looking forward it. He said he wants to get his playmakers involved." Davis has the physical tools to dominate at the position, but he only caught 31 passes for 358 yards and two scores last season while ignored in Mike Martz's offense. Davis looks to bounce back in 2009, and could finally be headed for a breakout campaign.

http://www.fleaflicker.com/showHeadlines.do
Originally posted by Chief:
5 Hrs V. Davis TE SF
Vernon Davis expects to play a significant role in the 49ers' offense under the direction of new coordinator Jimmy Raye, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. Davis said, "Raye told me the tight end is the focal point. I am looking forward it. He said he wants to get his playmakers involved." Davis has the physical tools to dominate at the position, but he only caught 31 passes for 358 yards and two scores last season while ignored in Mike Martz's offense. Davis looks to bounce back in 2009, and could finally be headed for a breakout campaign.

Ignored cause he has hands of stone. Awesome physical specimen who can't catch.
I still got your back VD
Originally posted by jogr49:
5 Hrs V. Davis TE SF

Oh come on. Just dismissed? I posted this on VD in another thread. This is what is holding me hopeful throughout the offseason, along with his somewhat slimming down so he can turn and make catches over his shoulder better.

In my opinion, VD 70+ times = 9-10 wins. BUT I have two other questions: can he CATCH 70+ times? Will he not be afraid of the middle? I will believe his hands/confidence when I see it. Next, I really hope that that will also mean we are utilizing playaction to VD because I feel we NEVER did that over the course of the last season. This is where good TEs thrive and kill other teams. I would love to see this. Finally -- I want to see Davis run downhill and TRUCK -- he is an effing tank and needs to stop trying to Reggie Bush. I want to see him running 4.4 speed straight into a chest of a CB that is 6 inches shorter than him. Can you say YAC?

He needs to focus 80% on his catching -- his blocking is great. Another question for you zoners: Do you think Raye will utilize VD like Martz did on the play where he comes across the line of scrimmage for an inside handoff? The play went for like 7 yards. If, like I said above, he runs downhill, he's not stopping after 1st contact. It's like having Brandon Jacobs for like 3-4 plays a game. Why not, right?
  • Wiseman
  • Info N/A
5 Hrs V. Davis TE SF

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFC&type=Receiving&rank=232&year=2007

Yup, doesn't even make the top 20 in the NFC, but he's got hands of stone? Perhaps this idea that he drops everything is just blown way out of proportion?
I think he could be more effective on shorter routes. We've all seen what kind of damage he can do with tackle breaking once the ball is in his hands. He may not be able to go up and get the deep ones like some of the greats but I think the key will be getting him the ball in the flat, short over the middle and on quick outs and let him do the rest running over or around guys. He scored a 34 yard TD on his first touch in the preseason as a rookie. We need more quick outlet passes like that to get him in open space. He has the speed to run away from linebackers and the strength to run guys over. If he's having concentration problems its usually on passes where they were over the shoulder and he had to act like a WR.
Originally posted by DANADA:
I still got your back VD
Originally posted by Wiseman:
5 Hrs V. Davis TE SF

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFC&type=Receiving&rank=232&year=2007

Yup, doesn't even make the top 20 in the NFC, but he's got hands of stone? Perhaps this idea that he drops everything is just blown way out of proportion?

yea, this has been mentioned before and people don't listen. The guys on that list got thrown to and caught a lot but vernon made 52 catches. That is not a small number and to have fewer than 6 drops is pretty good. Plus, he has been noted as improving this year in camps and OTAs. Let's see how he does come August.
In the words of Mike Singletary:

"Don't tell me, show me".

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on May 25, 2009 at 8:54 PM ]

• NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
In the word of Mike Singletary:

"Don't tell me, show me".

-9fA

Yes
The focal point will change to other players as soon as he starts dropping catches.
lets stop all the negativety on VD!!!!! lol
im a VD fan, and of course dissapointed this guy hasnt torn up the league yet!!
The dude CAN definitely be 800-1000yd pro bowl tight end!!
ONLY thing holding him back is.... HE BODY catches!!!!!!!
He actually has improved on his "hands" last season, as i saw him more consitintely use his hands than he did his first 2 seasons. He just needs to have confidence in those big ass hands of his. Hopefully hes working on it!!
They also need to throw to the guy more than 1 or 2 times a game. He needs to touch the ball 6-8 times a game to have an impact. How good would Gore be if he only carried the ball 5 times a game? Get the ball into his hands 5-15 yards down the field and watch how well his yards after the catch production will be.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Vernon has to gain the confidence of not only the OC but also the QB. He can't have meltdowns or drop catchable balls. He has to show that he can be trusted - otherwise he will spend another year at the LOS where he does have the confidence of his team and coaches.

I do have to say that so far things are looking good for him. I said last year that Martz hiring will mean more blocking for Vernon and as far as Vernon was considered - it was not a good signing. Now we have Wrs - we have a OC who likes to get the TE involved more than the WRs.

Oh well, I won't make any judgment on our new OC till I see some real game play-calling.
Share 49ersWebzone