LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

Niners had worst OL in 2009

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont care who we draft or who the Oline coach is, as long as Jimmy Raye is calling his unimaginative plays we are doomed.

Jimmy Raye is a good OC

He is cheap, he won't leave for a coaching job.

He switches it up- Fans wanted the spread, and they got it. When the spread didn't work, back to the run.

THE WORST OLINE IN THE LEAGUE and we were in the playoff hunt until the last month of the season.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I dont care who we draft or who the Oline coach is, as long as Jimmy Raye is calling his unimaginative plays we are doomed.

Jimmy Raye is a good OC

He switches it up- Fans wanted the spread, and they got it. When the spread didn't work, back to the run.

THE WORST OLINE IN THE LEAGUE and we were in the playoff hunt until the last month of the season.

Jimmy Raye is good because he is cheap and won't leave?..... I'm stunned.... then again, maybe I'm not .... please
Originally posted by posterX:

Jimmy Raye is a good OC

Jimmy Raye is good because he is cheap and won't leave?..... I'm stunned.... then again, maybe I'm not .... please

I.e. McCarthy and Turner

If we keep having O.C.'s that leave , get fired, or don't change their gameplan, we'll always have that lingering Alexcuse of '' 5 O.C.'s in 6 years'' blah blah.
Worst O-line in 2009? Doesn't surprise me. I just hope that we make the necessary changes in personnel and schemes. I agree 100% that coaching contributed a lot to their poor performance and hope that we either get our coaches to do a better job or find people who are capable of doing a better job.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Tired of this football outsiders website. Not saying our line was great, but the analysis is so flawed it's not worth making it onto Barrows' blog.

Please explain.
Maybe Coffee isnt that bad. The one time the o-line made holes for him he looked like the next Emmett Smith (pre season against the Faders)
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
i won't say i have said "we have the crappiest OL in the nfl", but i have a long history of saying all we need for a decent team is 3 starters on the OL before we can field a competitive team. Well, one could construe that to mean "niners had worst OL in '09",
but what i really am happy with is the sac bee article "10 Players the 49ers might draft". To wit:

1 Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa
2 Bruce Campbell OT Maryland
3 Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
5 Mike Iupati OG Idaho
10 Trent Williams OT Oklahoma

Now, that is exactly what i have posted about since early in season in '09 after the OL proved that it was horrible. What remains incomprehensible is that bigMike actually
wanted Foerster to stay. That says a lot about the talent judgements of our HC...and that is not much.

My choice would be to see who impresses in the combine, and if Iupati happens to look like a real live starting OG, and plays rings around Bulaga, Campbell, and Davis, I would draft him with our #1 pick in a heartbeat. Screw this "OGs aren't worth taking in the first rd". If he is the best OL out there, then do it. Look at Dielman, look at Faneca, both $7mil men, and both OG, and both men block for the 2 of the best running teams in the nfl.

What i would really like i have posted many times before. OL,OL,OL, or OL, OL and starting FA OL. We desperately need 3 starters on this OL to have any chance of becoming good. Look at the FO numbers. We be bad at LG, LT, and RT. Yes , Sims came on and played well second half of season, but was that the real sims or was the first half the real one? Looking at the numbers, Baas, snyder, wragge, heck, even staley did not impress, if one looked only at stats. But looking at tape neither
Heitmann nor chilo really stood out...except towards end of yr.

I have said we need 3 starters. What i didn't say was who needed to be replaced. FRankly, i would get 3 real life starters, 2 in draft, one in FA, and then figure which other 2 guys fit in with them. Altho he didn't grade out well, staley would be one, and according to the FO numbers, Heitmann would be the other. Sure didn't look that way to me, but what the heck, we have to keep 2 of our current crop. Another thing, and that is "projects" . We have no business taking on projects when we have such a dire need for 3 starters right now. Whoever okayed that idea is foolish(IMO). In 2010 there is no room for "projects". They either can play or they can't. Right this minute we have 3 starters who are NOT starters. You really want to fix this team...then start there.

I've taken heat about Heitmann comments, but it is hard to forget seattle's(Bernard) going right over heitmann's back and screwing up alex's shoulder for 2 yrs. So yeah, 3 starters between draft and FA. If we happened to bag even 2 of the guys above,
i would go nuts. Still we need that 3rd guy as an FA starter on the OL.

Do i think bigmike is going to do what i have been making a case and pleading for?
Nope. Sadly, nope. But he should. To build a team, build lines first. Lesser RBs look better, QBs look better, WRs look better, and so do TEs. And therein lies the problem. Our "HC" is learning on the fly, and i just don't see him doing the above. Hence, probably not much chance for improvement next yr. If there is ever a time i hope i am wrong about bigmike, and i mean seriously wrong, this is it. If he does the right thing , then i think he has a chance to build a good solid team. Later the disparity between our HC and OC vs sean Payton will become apparent. As it is now, if bigmike just builds the lines, he can make this team competitive...not a SB team, but certainly competitive. Like others , i cannot wait for the draft. It is then we will see if bigmike has "it" or not. I am hoping so, but am not very confident in my hopes. this would be a great time to be dead wrong.

Now do you think that if Iupati is taken with the first pick will there be a OT there for the second first round pick? Wouldnt want to reach with that pick especially if we need players for now. Also those Spiller nug huggers got to go. Hes a poor mans reggie bush and cant run up and down. Thats useless in the NFL these days with the super fast OLBs. Get a KR in the fourth rd or higher.
Tony S, best way to keep a crackerjack OC here is to make him HC, which i started banging the drum for 3 yrs ago. Then our owner jump skipped bigMike to HC instead of DC. Only way we keep an OC here is to hire a jimmyrae, who has to compete against tom moore(colts) , bellicheat, sean payton...and when that happens , we just get bat screwed. Yes, jimmyrae has done a good job of changing horses in midstream
(eg, bigmike wanted to run it down their throats---good idea except we had the worst OL in the nfl), so jimmyrae changed to the spread, which is obviously where we should have been to start with. BigMike can make this team competitive league-wise, but against the best, colts, saints, Pats...we will never be able to beat those guys with our current coaching tandem of OC and HC. We can be good, yes. But we cannot get to SB, because in crunch time we are giving away so much advantage to OCs and HCs with yrs of experience.

How do we fix this? Somewhere down the road , when jed realizes we can be good, but can't get past first rd playoffs, he will finally have to come to grips with the fact that bigMIke, altho the best ever at LB, and a terrific motivator, is out of his element competing with coaches who have had yrs more experience winning than he has. And same goes for our OC too. answer: To get a world class OC, he has to be the HC also. That isn't a popular sentiment, i am aware, but it is true. I have no problem with bigmike and jimmyR staying on. They will make us better. They won't get us to the promised land however, because of the inequity of our HC vs the red hot guys who have come up thru the ranks and are battle hardened , experienced, and bright...all of which trump being the world's best motivator.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
YES!!!!!!!!

YES!

YEAH!!

FINALLY OUR WEAKASS OLINE HAS SOME PUBLICITY!

Now maybe these dumbasses can fix it or lose their jobs once again ignoring a boring but very important section of a football team!

Weak oline= 3 and outs , injured qb's , ''busts'', no run game etc.

No offense and 3 and outs=tired defense that is actually very talented,but can't carry the team all of the time.
/thread

Except it is not true. Nolan and McC spent their first two years here investing heavily in the Oline, and it was pretty good during the 2006 season.

Everyone was using this exact same argument for WRs (offensive playmakers) and DL back then. "We need to draft xx. Thats how you build teams! McC sucks!".

Jimmy Raye is a good OC

Did you actually type that with a straight face?

While I would agree that he is probably very knowledgeable and may even be a good teacher, I would argue he is a horrible play caller. Most games not only was his overall game plan predictable, but the actual sequence of calling was some of the worst I've seen. It was the definition of insanity. But my opinion doesn't matter, just look at his track record.

With that said, I think we are talented enough and in a weak enough division that we should be able to make the playoffs next year.

P.S. It still bugs me that he didn't even let Davis attempt to get the record. I think we had at least three opportunities (Red Zone) and he didn't even look his way, calling nothing but run plays for Gore.

In the words of Denny Green, he is what we thought he is. That is mediocare.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 23, 2010 at 08:22:09 ]

• A-R-S
  • Veteran
Jimmy Raye is 100% garbage. We will never win with him.

The question, however, is whether the 49ers' futility can be blamed entirely on the offensive line. To me, a hefty amount of blame goes to coaching. If 71 percent of your runs are up the middle (only Jacksonville had a higher percentage), opponents have a pretty good idea of what's coming at them. Players also complained privately that their protection schemes never varied throughout the season.

Jimmy Raye is a good OC

While I would agree that he is probably very knowledgeable and may even be a good teacher, I would argue he is a horrible play caller. Most games not only was his overall game plan predictable, but the actual sequence of calling was some of the worst I've seen. It was the definition of insanity. But my opinion doesn't matter, just look at his track record.

With that said, I think we are talented enough and in a weak enough division that we should be able to make the playoffs next year.

P.S. It still bugs me that he didn't even let Davis attempt to get the record. I think we had at least three opportunities (Red Zone) and he didn't even look his way, calling nothing but run plays for Gore.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=124887&highlight=davis

If it wasn't for Raye and Sing, V.Davis wouldn't even be in the Pro Bowl.He'd be another T.O., jumping up and down cheering after a 4 yard gain.
Davis should be kissing Rayes' hairy beanbag.

Jimmy Raye is a good OC

If it wasn't for Raye and Sing, V.Davis wouldn't even be in the Pro Bowl.He'd be another T.O., jumping up and down cheering after a 4 yard gain.

So V Davis wasnt one of if not the best blocking TE before Raye? All VD did was work on his hands. Besides that and fixing his 'tude its the same player. VD can thank VD for putting in the work(still has work to do)

Jimmy Raye is a good OC

So V Davis wasnt one of if not the best blocking TE before Raye? All VD did was work on his hands. Besides that and fixing his 'tude its the same player. VD can thank VD for putting in the work(still has work to do)

Jimmy Raye is a good OC

5:40

''ONCE AGAIN , THAT TRICKY JIMMY RAYE AND HIS PLAYCALLING.''

Niners in 10' bytches
Share 49ersWebzone