There are 148 users in the forums

Kurt Schottenheimer named ST coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
worst thread in niner talk - FTL
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I know his coaching history, but are there any stats on this guy? Were his special teams units any good?

Special Teams Units under Kurt Schottenheimer

Year / Team / KR Ave Rnk / PR Ave Rnk
1987 / Browns / #24 / #6
1988 / Browns / #6 / #17
1989 / Chiefs / #19 / #8
1990 / Chiefs / #23 / #24
1991 / Chiefs / #28 / #16
1992 / Chiefs / #6 / #11
1993 / Chiefs / #14 / #2
1994 / Chiefs / #2 / #9

Well he had some success 20 years ago in the NFL

yeah, because ST has changed SO much in the last 20 years. How will he keep up with the modern age special teams!!

he will be fine. nobody knew who the crap Al Everest was before we hired him, and he ended up being a ST coach of the year award winner. people on this board are ridiculous. flipping out about nothing.

we hire Sing with very little experience, everyone complains. we hire Raye and Schottenheimer with decades of experience, everyone complains. seriously, shut up.

guys been in the NFL 30 years, i think he knows how special teams work. we have the players, all we need is a KR/PR.

This. People complain that Sing has no experience but when he hires someone with tons of experience its a bad move.

I swear 75% of our fanbase are a bunch b**tches and thats all they do. We may need to start handing out gender tests in Niner Talk.
Eh. ST coach isn't a sexy staff position. Nothing to get riled up over. April would have been nice because of his recent success, but it doesn't matter who the coach is if we don't get a skilled returner.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I know his coaching history, but are there any stats on this guy? Were his special teams units any good?

Special Teams Units under Kurt Schottenheimer

Year / Team / KR Ave Rnk / PR Ave Rnk
1987 / Browns / #24 / #6
1988 / Browns / #6 / #17
1989 / Chiefs / #19 / #8
1990 / Chiefs / #23 / #24
1991 / Chiefs / #28 / #16
1992 / Chiefs / #6 / #11
1993 / Chiefs / #14 / #2
1994 / Chiefs / #2 / #9

Well he had some success 20 years ago in the NFL

yeah, because ST has changed SO much in the last 20 years. How will he keep up with the modern age special teams!!

he will be fine. nobody knew who the crap Al Everest was before we hired him, and he ended up being a ST coach of the year award winner. people on this board are ridiculous. flipping out about nothing.

we hire Sing with very little experience, everyone complains. we hire Raye and Schottenheimer with decades of experience, everyone complains. seriously, shut up.

guys been in the NFL 30 years, i think he knows how special teams work. we have the players, all we need is a KR/PR.

This. People complain that Sing has no experience but when he hires someone with tons of experience its a bad move.

I swear 75% of our fanbase are a bunch b**tches and thats all they do. We may need to start handing out gender tests in Niner Talk.

Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
worst thread in niner talk - FTL

is he a bad pick up?
He's a special teams coach. Everybody acting like our 2010 season is already over because of this...
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
He's a special teams coach. Everybody acting like our 2010 season is already over because of this...

exactly. as long as Battle or Jones are returning kicks WE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO SUCK AT IT.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Sweet, I am happy with any person other than the last guy.

You guys can whine all you want, its what your good at.
  • Redz
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
WTF did we not hire Bill Cowher as our ST coach?!?!?!?!

Sing is a f**king idiot, Cowher is out there and this?!?!?!?!?!

riighttt like Cowher would really wanna be a ST Coach...please stop ya whinin its a damn ST Coach! sheesh its not the end of the world
half our coaching staff could very well die of natural causes before the season begins.

Originally posted by Redz:

riighttt like Cowher would really wanna be a ST Coach...please stop ya whinin its a damn ST Coach! sheesh its not the end of the world

Cowher as a ST coach
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Cowher as a ST coach

holy s**t. Blizz!! You high man????
Okay guys....

If I remember correctly

Quote:
1989-1994 Kansas City Chiefs(Special Teams)

This was back before and during Joe's career there. I don't remember their ST units playing poorly during that time.also they played in a 5 team Division. They were ALAYS in the Div Championships it seems. I'm having a hard time pulling quotes off the Chiefs site. Not because there aren't any but because there are TOO MANY.

Quote:
1995-1998 Kansas City Chiefs(Defensive Backs)
Their DBs' were average. Not bad

The two teams with the AFC’s top records squared off when Denver (12-4) visited Kansas City (13-3) for an AFC Divisional Playoff Game (1/4). Grbac started the contest for Kansas City and despite holding an edge in total yardage, the Chiefs could not convert on several key scoring opportunities, dropping a 14-10 decision to their division foe. On April 9th, RB Marcus Allen announced his retirement, concluding a brilliant 16-year NFL career. A whirlwind preseason saw the Chiefs play another American Bowl contest, this time vs. Green Bay in Tokyo, Japan (8/1), as well as a preseason game vs. Tampa Bay in Norman, Oklahoma (8/8).

Quote:
1999-2000 Kansas City Chiefs(DefensiveCoordinator)

Not bad.

Quote:
On January 11th, head coach Marty Schottenheimer announced his retirement after 10 seasons of distinguished service with the club. His 101-58-1 (.634) record gave him the best winning percentage of any coach in franchise history. During his tenure, the Chiefs captured three AFC West titles and qualified for the playoffs seven times. Schottenheimer also produced a remarkable 18-3 (.857) record against the Raiders. Gunther Cunningham was appointed the eighth head coach in franchise history on January 22nd. During his four seasons (’95-98) as the Chiefs defensive coordinator, Kansas City’s defense allowed a league-low 16.4 points per game. The club responded to their new leader’s high-energy style as Cunningham produced a 9-7 record in his initial season at the club’s helm, the best record of any rookie head coach in franchise history and the best mark of any first-year head coach in the NFL that season. The club became the sixth team in NFL history to record 100 regular season wins in a decade with a 16-10 triumph at Denver (12/5). Only Buffalo (103-57) finished the ‘90s with a better record than Kansas City’s 102-58 mark. Under Cunningham, Kansas City led the NFL with a +21 turnover ratio and won the NFL’s turnover triple crown in the ‘90s with a remarkable +128 turnover ratio, a league-high 365 takeaways and an NFL-low 237 giveaways. The Chiefs also recorded 11 return TDs on the season, including a franchise-best nine on defense. The Chiefs ran the ball more times (521) than any other team in the league and ranked fourth in the NFL in rushing (130.1 ypg). After a three-game mid-season losing streak put the club at 5-5 and on the brink of playoff elimination, the team rallied for a four-game winning string, setting up a make-or-break game in the regular season finale vs. Oakland.

Quote:
2001 Washington Redskins(Defensive Coordinator)

Pretty stout Defense. Can't prove it cause they don't have the statistical history on their site. Ohhhh lot's of history to be sure but *phah* Dan the Fan is running that team need I say more?

Quote:
2002-2003 Detroit Lions(Defensive Coordinator)

That was not a bad Lions team. Not great but it's hard to overcome blandness when the whole entity is infected. I remember their D being pretty solid though for a team stuck suckin hind teat in that Division. Marty Morhniwhig/Mooch. Need I really say more? Can't give you stat guys stats cause there are none but season win percentage home and away and that's it. I think he lost his job the same way Everest did. Contract was up and Mooch wanted to bring someone else in. Which interestingly enough ost him HIS job with a 6-10 season. Doesn't mean the guy was bad just a fall guy.

Quote:
2004 Green Bay Packers(Defensive Backs)

This should say it all...

"Al Harris' overtime interception return wins NFC Wild Card playoff vs. Seattle (Jan. 4)."

Their Secondary was pretty solid. They lost the next round but not because that Secondary wasn't prepared.

You know I do not understand. The man HAS success in more places than he has failure. WTF has MacDuff done?

No really what makes MacDuff a better ST Coach than a guy who has more success than failures on his Resume? And to equate it to Raye is just stunning.

Why cause he has no Super Bowls on his Resume? Well NEWSFLASH neither do MacDuff or Everest.

Some people need the serious dose of reality.

We don't know what he'll do but a this point he looks like a better fit than either Everest OR Duff. Though I wish we would have just went back to Everest who played no part in the outcome of the season other than having his best PR man sent packing and given subpar replacements.

I say back off and give the man a Chance to turn things around.

~Ceadder
  • Redz
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Cowher as a ST coach

holy s**t. Blizz!! You high man????

LMFAO! EXACTLY!!

I think what he was trying to say or hope he was trying to say - is with a HC like Cowher out there we have singletary making decisions like this.

Don't agree with it but let's hope that is what he is saying. Either Way Cowher is a pipe dream he is NOT leaving the east coast people need to just accept that.
Share 49ersWebzone