LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Kurt Schottenheimer named ST coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He seems almost too qualified to be a ST coach.
I live in Wisconsin amongst the Packer fans. Every Packer friend I know hated him. When he left GB, even the players said he was a horrible coach.
Singletary & Scot should be thrown out of the building for this ####. -At least MacDuff had history with us, and that would have been the safe/neutral hire. -This is atrocious, firing Al Everest when he was a pretty descent guy, retaining pieces of garbage like Foerester, and bringing in JIMMY RAYE guys... Jesus Christ we're mediocre.
WTF did we not hire Bill Cowher as our ST coach?!?!?!?!

Sing is a f**king idiot, Cowher is out there and this?!?!?!?!?!
Originally posted by excelsior:
Let me guess. Jed asked Singletary, "Between MacDuff and Schottenheimer, who is cheapest?"
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I know his coaching history, but are there any stats on this guy? Were his special teams units any good?

Special Teams Units under Kurt Schottenheimer

Year / Team / KR Ave Rnk / PR Ave Rnk
1987 / Browns / #24 / #6
1988 / Browns / #6 / #17
1989 / Chiefs / #19 / #8
1990 / Chiefs / #23 / #24
1991 / Chiefs / #28 / #16
1992 / Chiefs / #6 / #11
1993 / Chiefs / #14 / #2
1994 / Chiefs / #2 / #9

Well he had some success 20 years ago in the NFL

yeah, because ST has changed SO much in the last 20 years. How will he keep up with the modern age special teams!!

he will be fine. nobody knew who the crap Al Everest was before we hired him, and he ended up being a ST coach of the year award winner. people on this board are ridiculous. flipping out about nothing.

we hire Sing with very little experience, everyone complains. we hire Raye and Schottenheimer with decades of experience, everyone complains. seriously, shut up.

guys been in the NFL 30 years, i think he knows how special teams work. we have the players, all we need is a KR/PR.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by sincalniner:
It's offical

SF_49ers: The #49ers just named Kurt Schottenheimer as our special teams coordinator. He has 30 years of coaching experience including 22 in the #NFL.

f**k you Singletary!

why

I am a firm believer in hiring someone that can do the job at hand, and has a track record of that particular task. Larry Mac Duff comes to mind as he has had more recent experience for the ST units. He was held over by Nolan for his coaching staff - so that's gotta say something as well.

Kurt Schottenheimer seems like a guy who knows football more generally than a guy like Mac Duff. Kurt has held positions as DC, S coach, DB coach, and LB coach - and he's had a very sporadic record in those roles.

The move seems more a favor to Marty Schottenheimer than it is to hire the best person for the job.

The bright side is that if Singletary and McCloughan gets s**t canned next year, we can hire Brian Schottenheimer as our HC, Kurt as our DC, and Marty as our GM.

Yay!
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

yeah seriously. it sounds like they hired a special teams coach/defensive assistant
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
It's offical

SF_49ers: The #49ers just named Kurt Schottenheimer as our special teams coordinator. He has 30 years of coaching experience including 22 in the #NFL.

f**k you Singletary!

why

I am a firm believer in hiring someone that can do the job at hand, and has a track record of that particular task. Larry Mac Duff comes to mind as he has had more recent experience for the ST units. He was held over by Nolan for his coaching staff - so that's gotta say something as well.

Kurt Schottenheimer seems like a guy who knows football more generally than a guy like Mac Duff. Kurt has held positions as DC, S coach, DB coach, and LB coach - and he's had a very sporadic record in those roles.

The move seems more a favor to Marty Schottenheimer than it is to hire the best person for the job.

The bright side is that if Singletary and McCloughan gets s**t canned next year, we can hire Brian Schottenheimer as our HC, Kurt as our DC, and Marty as our GM.

Yay!

I will say that it gives us an experienced coach on the defensive/special teams side of the ball. I wonder if he'll be an Asst. HC as well?
Did he really just hire a guy for special teams who hasnt coached special teams in 15 years

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
It's offical

f**k you Singletary!

why

Yay!

I will say that it gives us an experienced coach on the defensive/special teams side of the ball. I wonder if he'll be an Asst. HC as well?

Your probably right about McClueless and Sing getting canned next year, especially since there success is tied to Alex.

Hopefully the next HC if Sing is fired is a bright offensive mind. But thats a long time away still.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

yeah seriously. it sounds like they hired a special teams coach/defensive assistant

Well, on defense you have to know how to tackle and on ST you need to know how to tackle, so there is definitely pertinent overlapping of skill sets here.

For all those overacting to the hire of a special teams coach... seriously... special teams, DeSean Jackson had a great year on ST and the Eagles fired their ST coach and hired Bobby April this offseason; I am not saying that the ST coach is pointless, but I would be more concerned about personnel on special teams.
I am willing to wait and see on this one.
another amature move by the classy 49ers! fantastic guys. they're already scaring the crap out of me before the draft & before FA begins.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
this is why i said we shouldve never fired everest

Damnit it

Didn't fire Everest. He just was not re-signed.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone