There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Singletary apologizes to Alex Smith

Originally posted by oldman9er:
clearly, all was not as it seemed on the field last weekend to the casual fan....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blog.49ers.com/2009/12/21/monday%e2%80%99s-locker-room-talk-6/

Monday’s Locker Room Talk

Quote:
Despite the frustration of losing another game because of “self-inflicted wounds,” Smith said he undoubtedly feels something special developing in the 49ers locker room. “I’m not just saying this to say this, but I do feel like there’s been a bit of a mindset change around here, an expectation level, a confidence in what we can do,” Smith added.

Quote:
Singletary opened his press conference by sharing an exchange he had with Alex Smith last night. “I owe him an apology,” Singletary said a day after he was critical of his quarterback’s performance in a 27-13 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. “I talked with him after the game and we had a conversation where I really kind of challenged him on some things, some of those throws or whatever. After looking at it, I have a better perspective.” Smith said the talk between the two was a positive one for him as well. “He did [apologize]. He doesn’t owe me an apology though,” Smith added. “We were all disappointed with yesterday. That wasn’t the only thing we talked about. The point is to get better moving on. It was a good talk. I did take a lot away from it.”

Weakness.... this guy is running around apologizing to a guy that pretty much sucked. Grow a pair, Sing.... He doesn't seem to be able to make up his mind about who he is and what he stands for. He wants to run, then he wants to pass. He wants Hill, then he wants Smith. He wants to yell at players, then he wants to coddle them and apologize. He is a certifiable basket case.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by maximill15:
im looking forward to this offseason! I think we will have another great draft! Scotty;s scouts do their due diligence on all prospects! I wonder if he will stick to his BPA theory or go with need of position?

Hopefully the BPA is a needed position. That would be great. Berry for example.

Dude, the miracle of BPA and is also a needed position happened last year with Crabs! Berry won't be there! But a good o-line could fulfill bpa/ need with one of the 1st 3 picks we use!
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Oh please. He apologizes because Smith is at his max already and wont ever be any better. He apologizes because we are stuck with this middle of the pack QB till God knows when. He apologizes for another season wasted and most likely another frustrating and wasted one in 2010. This team needs some real football minds running it.

please oh please save us. we need you and your brilliant mind in our FO. so can you please apply for the GM spot?

Hey I am not saying that I am the know all with NFL decisions but I can sure as hell tell you I would have cut our losses with Smith long ago. I mean seriously do any of you actually watch how this kid plays? He is a one read QB that runs away from the play when he gets uncomfortable. You don't survive in the NFL waiting year after year for a QB. I will be surprised is Scotty is back again next year. 5 Years please. They are just about ready to cut Jamarcus across the bay. Whats he had 3?
Also realize that it will be the end of Singletary's second year which is the standard amount of time a HC is given to prove whether or not he's worth keeping.

If he's gambling on Smith for 2010, Smith better produce of both can be out by the end of next year.

And if young Jed York is making the decisions, all should know that kids (yes, I call him a kid since I'm an old dude) doesn't have a lot of patience. How many people in their 20's have a lot a patience? He of all people would want to prove to all and especially his friends (not to mention his uncle) that he knows what he's doing.

So if the 49er's are still floundering around by mid season of next year, heads could roll! I don't think he will be given the same amount of time as Mike Nolan.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 22, 2009 at 9:37 AM ]
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Also realize that it will be the end of Singletary's second year which is the standard amount of time a HC is given to prove whether or not he's worth keeping.

If he's gambling on Smith for 2010, Smith better produce of both can be out by the end of next year.

And if young Jed York is making the decisions, all should know that kids (yes, I call him a kid since I'm an old dude) doesn't have a lot of patience. How many people in their 20's have a lot a patience? He of all people would want to prove to all and especially his friends that he knows what he's doing.

So if the 49er's are still floundering around by mid season of next year, heads could roll! I don't think he will be given the same amount of time as Mike Nolan.

I think that if no changes are made during the bye week then we have a winning record and are on a positive course to do more than compete with the elite teams of the league. This year we were able to compete but were not able to take the next step.
2010 is a big year for a lot of people. Smith, Singletary, McClueless will be all out if we dont make the playoffs in 2010.

Put up or shut up time
Originally posted by susweel:
2010 is a big year for a lot of people. Smith, Singletary, McClueless will be all out if we dont make the playoffs in 2010.

Put up or shut up time

I like it this way. They are all working for their job next season, exactly how it should be in the NFL. All three have gotten too many chances in this league, this is IMO, the last chance the Niners should give them. Playoffs or all three should be gone.
Originally posted by susweel:

Put up or shut up time

For sure . . . The 49ers promotional billboards next summer should only say . . .

NO FRIGGIN' EXCUSES !
the owners are to easy to sweet talk just ask nolan

they will be here beyond 2010
Originally posted by crzy:
I can't wait until 2011 when we've finally realized what has been 100% apparent from Day 1.... that Alex Smith is not the answer

I didn't think it was apparent from Day 1 and I have been a supporter of Alex and believed in his potential to be a great one.
But not anymore.

The guy is serviceable and competent in the best of conditions but is not the guy to carry a team when things are down or conditions are adverse. We have to look at replacing him. When we absolutely need him to bring his A game and win a game due to HIS efforts, he'll throw f**king exasperating INTs, take drive-killing sacks, or complete passes 1 yard short of the 1st down marker. WTF??
[ Edited by Bluefalcon61 on Dec 22, 2009 at 10:02 AM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Hmmm, I don't know about apologizing to Alex. At least 2 of the balls were at least partly his fault:

Throw to Gore - everyone agrees that was Alex's fault
Throw to Vernon Davis - yes VD should have fought for the ball, but it was also underthrown. If Alex had put the ball where it belonged, it was a completion.
Sneaky defensive play - I guess you can say this wasn't Alex's fault. There was probably something wrong with the play design or the routes run to have 2 receivers in the same place.
I can't wait until 2011 when we've finally realized what has been 100% apparent from Day 1.... that Alex Smith is not the answer

Great. While you will have your personal satisfaction, we'll be starting from scratch all over again.

-9fA
REally fellas. Are some of ya'll so helpless that u just look for s**t negatively.

No the reason he owed Smith an apology is for the same reason some of you haters fail to look at.

He apologized why, because in the beginning just like with some of us, ya'll say yeah it's all the QB. Then when an actual coach, not us fans, go back and look at the tape, he sees that it's not all Smith's fault. Some of you may want it to be, but maybe you misread when he said, did the receivers run the right route, did the oline protect, all those pieces that go into making a Star offense.

Say Smith sucks all you want, but the difference that i see with some is personnel. Let Smith be able to sit in the pocket for more than 2 seconds, like we let a lot of teams offenses. Philly, GB, and a few others. And then if he fails then b***h.

We talk about Davis and his wonderful TE play, but if you really wanna know why he wont make it to the probowl, watch clark, or welker, or gonzalez. See when the qb makes a bad throw, their almost diving, fighting every play. How many dropped balls have we had at key drives. How many Pro-Bowl TE's have as many drops as him.

When a QB on two separate occasions drives the ball down the field, during a time where we say watching the game, he needs to make it happen. Then what we get into the red zone, and Turn the ball over with a drop, and a fumble. Is that the qb's fault too.

I mean even with the statement games. There were two in particular we NEEDED TO WIN to even have a chance. that was Chicago, then Arizona. And what did Smith do, he helped us win. Those were the main games we needed to even have a talk about playoffs. But it was funny because then people started to come out. Hey we gotta win or he sucks. We win, then again, We gotta win or he sucks, then again, we gotta win or he sucks. I mean come on ya'll. Seriously?

Some of you can comment all the facets that make a team run effectively all you want. But the Qb's job is to throw right. Brees made a throw in their loss to a WR open in the endzone. But he missed the ball, and what happened. They loss. We have 10 drops in a game, and then have the audacity to say hey, the qb sucked.

Sing apologized because unlike Nolan, if he's wrong, he can be a man, and come out and say it. If anything it helps build that trust factor, just like Sing did with Davis. The coach said all 3 int's werent on him, in another game, Sing said most would say he threw 4 int's in another game, then he ended, no he didnt.

Some of you guys it seems like your happier when we just remain at a state of uncertainty every year. Well now we have a chance to have the key word i keep hearing, CONTINUITY. How bout we give it a shot.
Let's see how many more times Singletary will apologize next year with his job on the line. Everyone knows a coach's fate is tied in with his QB.