LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 408 users in the forums

Singletary apologizes to Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Also, Alex needs to assert himself as a leader out there. I wanna see him commanding respect and yelling at his WR's when they run an incorrect route or drop a ball. Wish Payton would mentor him.

i don't neccasarily wnat that. alex is not at a level yet to yell at people or openly ......."disrespect".... them. it will open up oppurtunities for WRs to critisze alex openly and even publicly.

i would want alex to tell players to shut their mouth when they want to talke back.
Next year is the last chance I give Smith, I'm not going to root for him to fail because then I wouldn't be a fan.

Am I disappointed with his performances? A little bit, sure it's not all on him but I want to see him b***h at the WR's when they f**k up. He needs to step up and be that leader. He's shown signs of getting better but also signs of straight sucking.

and please no QB competition, just give him the starting role with a full off season and keep Raye. Lets fix the OL because that's a real issue there, if Smith doesn't perform up to par next season well then it's safe to say he's a bust.
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Dec 22, 2009 at 8:55 AM ]
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Also, Alex needs to assert himself as a leader out there. I wanna see him commanding respect and yelling at his WR's when they run an incorrect route or drop a ball. Wish Payton would mentor him.

i don't neccasarily wnat that. alex is not at a level yet to yell at people or openly ......."disrespect".... them. it will open up oppurtunities for WRs to critisze alex openly and even publicly.

i would want alex to tell players to shut their mouth when they want to talke back.

maybe not "yell" but go to them and say tell them what went wrong..every time someone does something stupid Smith just shakes his head or kinda goes "oh well" at least from what I see...

when you see Manning or Rivers they go up to there WR's and he tells them wtf was that?!
I didn't expect playoffs this year. All I had hoped for is that by the end of the year, we would know if we needed to waste a top draft pick on a QB. I'm glad we answered that question. Next year, I expect playoffs.

I saw him yell at dudes on Sunday. I was shocked and pleased.

And, yeah, NO QB competition. Let him get all the reps and let's see.
  • Sacto_49ersfan
  • Info N/A
I can't believe Singletary would apologize to a player because he's mentally fragile and can't take criticism. Doesn't he want tough players? Come on... Alex needs to take the yelling and turn it around like VD.
  • marls
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:
I can't wait for 2010 with Alex as the starter the whole off season and some new additions via the draft and free agency. I'm really excited.

BUMP!
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

maybe not "yell" but go to them and say tell them what went wrong..every time someone does something stupid Smith just shakes his head or kinda goes "oh well" at least from what I see...

when you see Manning or Rivers they go up to there WR's and he tells them wtf was that?!
i am alright with confronting them, on the sidelines in privacy,
im looking forward to this offseason! I think we will have another great draft! Scotty;s scouts do their due diligence on all prospects! I wonder if he will stick to his BPA theory or go with need of position?
Originally posted by maximill15:
im looking forward to this offseason! I think we will have another great draft! Scotty;s scouts do their due diligence on all prospects! I wonder if he will stick to his BPA theory or go with need of position?

Hopefully the BPA is a needed position. That would be great. Berry for example.
Originally posted by Sacto_49ersfan:
I can't believe Singletary would apologize to a player because he's mentally fragile and can't take criticism. Doesn't he want tough players? Come on... Alex needs to take the yelling and turn it around like VD.

We don't know that is the case. We DO know that Sing is a straightforward person. IMO, he likely directed some specific criticism at AS during the game that, after watching the tape, he later determined was unfounded. FWIW, Sing still stated that the last pick was all AS' fault, so I don't think this apology equates to a "get out of jail free" card. Sing and Smith both know that Smith should have played better.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
(Asked by MM)On why 49ers quarterbacks have started well and hit a wall the last couple of seasons:

“First of all, I have not seen Alex hit a wall. I have to be very honest there, that is why I am looking forward to the next two games. I have not seen him hit a wall. I think he has been consistent. We can go back to the Tennessee game and you say, ‘Hey, he had four turnovers.’ No, no he didn’t. There was some help that he had in that game, and it was the same in this game. It is a shame to me that every time a quarterback throws an interception that automatically it’s him. The guy is off, well he stinks. I think it is very important, and you have to evaluate it as the coach and make sure that you are looking at that quarterback and not destroy him and forget about the other parties involved. Is it the line, are they giving him enough protection? Is it the receivers, are they getting where they are supposed to go? Is there a trust factor, that receiver, can he trust him? There are a lot of different issues, which is why when I look at the film I am very encouraged. I don’t have a situation in here where I am sitting back thinking, ‘Man, I thought Alex was making progress and now I don’t know.’ I’m not there at all, I promise you. I feel very good about his progression and the fact that he has only played a month and a half, maybe two, I am very encouraged by what I have seen in a short amount of time for a guy who has been out of football for a couple of years.”

After reading this fellas, why cant we just put personal bias aside and support our team going into 2010.

I mean Im a Smith supporter, but I say 2010 is it for him, If he does start and doesnt get it done, then his ass is gone too. However, why cant we as fans just come together and support the team.

Already there are posts about 2011. Bout 2010, being a total washout, and we didnt even finish this season yet. I'm just saying overall, Sing isnt an TEAM excuse guy, he tells you what he feels whether you like it or not.

His words above shows me that he recognizes other faults on the offense and not just the qb play. From those words, if you draw any other conclusion other then that it's about the team, and your first words are Alex Smith this or that negatively. Then honestly you shouldnt even write at all next year, because it would be nice to start a season out positively and consistently with the same team for another full year.

Any QB that is back there for the 49ers i am rooting for him.

People b***h and moan about Alex but right now i don't see any better options. Hill who can throw the ball as far as i can, Davis is extremely raw at his point. I don't see why people think we can just trade for a proven QB. Like any team is gonna give up a good QB without completing raping us in a trade. And honestly right now im not too excited about the thoughts of Bradford/Clausen behind this line.

Why not build an NFL quality O-Line (via FA and draft), keep some damn consistency and if Alex fails in 2010 then, at least we got a good O-Line and weapons for a new QB to actually be put in a situation to succeed.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

i am alright with confronting them, on the sidelines in privacy,

We need, per SnakePlissken, for Alex to morph into the notorious bad ass Phil Jennings!

Oh please. He apologizes because Smith is at his max already and wont ever be any better. He apologizes because we are stuck with this middle of the pack QB till God knows when. He apologizes for another season wasted and most likely another frustrating and wasted one in 2010. This team needs some real football minds running it.
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Oh please. He apologizes because Smith is at his max already and wont ever be any better. He apologizes because we are stuck with this middle of the pack QB till God knows when. He apologizes for another season wasted and most likely another frustrating and wasted one in 2010. This team needs some real football minds running it.

please oh please save us. we need you and your brilliant mind in our FO. so can you please apply for the GM spot?
Merry Christmas.

Share 49ersWebzone