There are 204 users in the forums

Singletary apologizes to Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by crzy:
I can't wait until 2011 when we've finally realized what has been 100% apparent from Day 1.... that Alex Smith is not the answer

Like it or not, Alex is will be the starter in 2010.

And the Niners will miss the playoffs again in 2010.

crzy, what choice do we have? Alex is our best option for at least 2010. After that if he doesn't show anything I'm sure we'll be in the market for another Qb.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Dec 22, 2009 at 7:42 AM ]
I'm not a total Smith supporter, but I will say this. It looked to me on Sunday that Smith completed every pass that he threw when he had time in the pocket. He seemed to be running for his life most of the game, which makes me wonder how Sing could say that the O-line did a good job. Yes, they were better on run plays, and Baas is beginning to pull and maul people, but our pass protection is horrible. Until that gets fixed, we really have no idea if Smith is any good or not.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
(Asked by MM)On why 49ers quarterbacks have started well and hit a wall the last couple of seasons:

“First of all, I have not seen Alex hit a wall. I have to be very honest there, that is why I am looking forward to the next two games. I have not seen him hit a wall. I think he has been consistent. We can go back to the Tennessee game and you say, ‘Hey, he had four turnovers.’ No, no he didn’t. There was some help that he had in that game, and it was the same in this game. It is a shame to me that every time a quarterback throws an interception that automatically it’s him. The guy is off, well he stinks. I think it is very important, and you have to evaluate it as the coach and make sure that you are looking at that quarterback and not destroy him and forget about the other parties involved. Is it the line, are they giving him enough protection? Is it the receivers, are they getting where they are supposed to go? Is there a trust factor, that receiver, can he trust him? There are a lot of different issues, which is why when I look at the film I am very encouraged. I don’t have a situation in here where I am sitting back thinking, ‘Man, I thought Alex was making progress and now I don’t know.’ I’m not there at all, I promise you. I feel very good about his progression and the fact that he has only played a month and a half, maybe two, I am very encouraged by what I have seen in a short amount of time for a guy who has been out of football for a couple of years.”

After reading this fellas, why cant we just put personal bias aside and support our team going into 2010.

I mean Im a Smith supporter, but I say 2010 is it for him, If he does start and doesnt get it done, then his ass is gone too. However, why cant we as fans just come together and support the team.

Already there are posts about 2011. Bout 2010, being a total washout, and we didnt even finish this season yet. I'm just saying overall, Sing isnt an TEAM excuse guy, he tells you what he feels whether you like it or not.

His words above shows me that he recognizes other faults on the offense and not just the qb play. From those words, if you draw any other conclusion other then that it's about the team, and your first words are Alex Smith this or that negatively. Then honestly you shouldnt even write at all next year, because it would be nice to start a season out positively and consistently with the same team for another full year.

Leave it up to double M to make sense of all this. I'll give Smith another year, too. This time he'll be the starter w/ the same OC...this time, there's no more excuses.
I'm looking forward to next year, cause it's make or break for EVERYONE!!! WE do well, gm, coach, alex, all come back fo mo! We do bad, GM, SMith are gone!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maximill15:
I'm looking forward to next year, cause it's make or break for EVERYONE!!! WE do well, gm, coach, alex, all come back fo mo! We do bad, GM, SMith are gone!

Good point, max. It's all we can ask for.
I can't wait for 2010 with Alex as the starter the whole off season and some new additions via the draft and free agency. I'm really excited.

they BETTER not pull any of that "QB competition" bulls**t!!! Give him all the #1 reps!!!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I can't wait for 2010 with Alex as the starter the whole off season and some new additions via the draft and free agency. I'm really excited.

they BETTER not pull any of that "QB competition" bulls**t!!! Give him all the #1 reps!!!

Exactly
Originally posted by maximill15:

Good point, max. It's all we can ask for.

Couldnt of said it better myself. thats why i say to all the haters, just get the hell out the zone, for all of 2010. Next year, should really be playoff minimum or bust. So whats wrong with having hope and backing the entire team. Know what i mean fellas.

To have the first time in 7 years, with the same offensive system returning. Even with the Urban Meyer words. When smith gets the o down, he can do some real damage. Well getting the timing together with the WR's in the offseason, and upgrading the line. I say we can really do damage next year.
Despite a poor oline and boneheaded but talented receivers Alex is hitting at a 60% clip with more tds than ints.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and here's hoping he works his ass off in the offseason (and he will) and comes out next year lights out.

I still think he should pack on some muscle pounds, especially in his lower body. He'll be more mobile, better able to confidently manuever in the pocket, and put some more zip on his throws.
I didn't expect playoffs this year. All I had hoped for is that by the end of the year, we would know if we needed to waste a top draft pick on a QB. I'm glad we answered that question. Next year, I expect playoffs.

Also, Alex needs to assert himself as a leader out there. I wanna see him commanding respect and yelling at his WR's when they run an incorrect route or drop a ball. Wish Payton would mentor him.
Im expecting the niners to go to the playoffs next year. I agree with Syber, Alex now needs to become the leader and not be afraid to let the receivers know they f**ked up, and also no more QB competition.

Lets address the Oline get us a pass rusher, I know Returner is a need as well but lets maybe let Morgan handle KR he is averaging 32 yards when he is back there so lets get us a solid PR as well.
It's make or break for a lot of people next year.

-9fA
Originally posted by valrod33:
Im expecting the niners to go to the playoffs next year. I agree with Syber, Alex now needs to become the leader and not be afraid to let the receivers know they f**ked up, and also no more QB competition.

Lets address the Oline get us a pass rusher, I know Returner is a need as well but lets maybe let Morgan handle KR he is averaging 32 yards when he is back there so lets get us a solid PR as well.

there should be PLENTY of KR/PR guys available in the draft. Even in the later rounds. I just hope we grab one.
Alex deserves a real shot a starting in 2010 (he's earned that imo).

But we can't keep reciting all the reasons why its not working out for Alex here indefinitely. At some point, he has to overcome.

Give him a full offseason to work with his receivers along with another year in the same system, and I think he does overcome some of the other stuff. But if he struggles next year, than the franchise has to move on.
Share 49ersWebzone