LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

Offiicial: Cut Brandon Jones thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Offiicial: Cut Brandon Jones thread

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Giggidy:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
He's a good reciever, just not a good PR. He has speed. When he got in the game and Alex got him the ball he had 2 nice catches, one called back on a BS penalty. But he's a decent WR and has good speed. We could use him better. Atleast he doesn't duck the freaking ball.

I can agree about Jones' PR skills, but, IMO, the jury's still out on Jones as a WR: an arguement could be made he's our best downfield threat due to his speed. That said, with the potential we have with Crab, Morgan, and Hill, I can't justify Jones' salary vs. his playing time, especially now we have a burner in Ginn. He may be better suited for another team that needs his ability to stretch the field (or for a certain owner who loves to stockpile speedy, overpaid WRs).

jones may surprise us. i remember everyone talking about him last year in camp making the best catches and looking awesome before he broke his shoulder. he may be a nice surprise. being loaded with you talented receivers is a problem most teams would love. Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Ginn, Jones, Zeigler has potential too. none of them are probowlers but thats a solid group of young talent. if jones doesnt show anything, then you cut him. cutting someone when you dont have to is not a smart move.

I agree with not cutting players prematurely, especially if bench strength is weak, but I'm struggling with the opportunity cost his relatively-higher salary brings vs. what he will contribute. If Jones can have 30+ catches, 450+ yards, and 3-4 TDs next year as a #3 or 4 WR then perhaps his salary can be justified. If that's not realistic, one alternative would be to use a day-3 selection on a WR w/ Jones' skill set and give Morgan and Ginn more downfield looks.

Either way, you're right: having a stockpile of young WR talent is a problem I certainly don't mind us having.
the most frustrating thing in sports is when your team makes a move than even YOU know is a horrible mistake as its happening, and then YOU end up being right about it all along, even though youre just a random fan with no front office experience.

right when we signed brandon jones i knew it was a waste of money. and a big waste at that....

same thing with alot of Sabean's moves with the Giants. "we dont have a shot at the playoffs, but i have to make a trade anyways for all the dumb fans who think were awesome!.......i guess ill trade a nice young pitching prospect for RYAN GARKO who will come here, do nothing, get hurt, and get released."

WAY TO GO GUYS. if either team needs me to step in and be the voice of common sense, im available.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Apr 17, 2010 at 12:31 PM ]
i've never seen an official poll thread
He's a good reciever, just not a good PR. He has speed. When he got in the game and Alex got him the ball he had 2 nice catches, one called back on a BS penalty. But he's a decent WR and has good speed. We could use him better. Atleast he doesn't duck the freaking ball.

I can agree about Jones' PR skills, but, IMO, the jury's still out on Jones as a WR: an arguement could be made he's our best downfield threat due to his speed. That said, with the potential we have with Crab, Morgan, and Hill, I can't justify Jones' salary vs. his playing time, especially now we have a burner in Ginn. He may be better suited for another team that needs his ability to stretch the field (or for a certain owner who loves to stockpile speedy, overpaid WRs).

jones may surprise us. i remember everyone talking about him last year in camp making the best catches and looking awesome before he broke his shoulder. he may be a nice surprise. being loaded with you talented receivers is a problem most teams would love. Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Ginn, Jones, Zeigler has potential too. none of them are probowlers but thats a solid group of young talent. if jones doesnt show anything, then you cut him. cutting someone when you dont have to is not a smart move.

I agree with not cutting players prematurely, especially if bench strength is weak, but I'm struggling with the opportunity cost his relatively-higher salary brings vs. what he will contribute. If Jones can have 30+ catches, 450+ yards, and 3-4 TDs next year as a #3 or 4 WR then perhaps his salary can be justified. If that's not realistic, one alternative would be to use a day-3 selection on a WR w/ Jones' skill set and give Morgan and Ginn more downfield looks.

Either way, you're right: having a stockpile of young WR talent is a problem I certainly don't mind us having.

very true, if he proves he isnt worth it, by all mean cut him or trade him if you can but i think he will show up. its gonna be interesting to see how much better our WRs are this year. two years in the same offense will do wonders for everyone, not just alex. training camp should be intense this year, cant wait to see what the final roster looks like

very true, if he proves he isnt worth it, by all mean cut him or trade him if you can but i think he will show up. its gonna be interesting to see how much better our WRs are this year. two years in the same offense will do wonders for everyone, not just alex. training camp should be intense this year, cant wait to see what the final roster looks like

the problem with jones is his contract and the expectations that come with it, he is paid like a starting wr but on this team he isnt in the top 3, he isnt a returner so u have to fault the coaches for putting him back there with no real experience, u take him to camp, and if gets hurt again or isnt impressive then u cut him, he still could be better than hill or ginn
i still dont know what the hell the guy can do cuz they never put him on the field! thats what irritates me more than anything.
Originally posted by crabman82:

the problem with jones is his contract and the expectations that come with it, he is paid like a starting wr but on this team he isnt in the top 3, he isnt a returner so u have to fault the coaches for putting him back there with no real experience, u take him to camp, and if gets hurt again or isnt impressive then u cut him, he still could be better than hill or ginn

Hey crabman.
Maybe this thread should be renamed "Official I do not comprehend the value of roster depth because I play Madden with injuries turned off thread."
I think McLoughaan (spelling?) was drunk off his ass when he decided to overpay this guy
I think Ziegler could do a better job

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Maybe this thread should be renamed "Official I do not comprehend the value of roster depth because I play Madden with injuries turned off thread."
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
I think McLoughaan (spelling?) was drunk off his ass when he decided to overpay this guy

At the time, this signing may have been needed: our offense was planned to be more of a ground-based attack and we needed someone to stretch the field to open up the middle. Unfortunately, Jones got injured early and we never truly realized how he and the running game could interact. Not saying we couldn't still do this, but I don't know how effective this could be considering how we plan to use the other WRs.
see how he is in camp
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

cut him and give that 81 jersey back to the person who it belongs to......
[ Edited by Snider8706 on Apr 17, 2010 at 10:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone