LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 338 users in the forums

Why can't we run the ball???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by Joecool:
We can't run the ball because we keep running to the same spot. Once the DL sees the OL coming at them, they all cave the inside gaps because, 90% of the time, that's where we are going. This closes our primary direction which allows the LB to shoot the outside gaps when Gore tries to bounce it out.

It's too predictable.

You're right. We also try too damn often to go up the gut. Why not have an off tackle run or god forbid a option to the outside? Where is the harm in being even slightly creative with our rushing?

I agree that most of it is scheme. Case in point, the one run we had loff tackle ast game was a TE reverse (sort of) from Delanie Walker and the DE and OLB's all crashed in THINKING the run was, as always, inside and naturally, the run off tackle was a huge gain.

The opposition only needs one game tape to figure out how to stop our offense (prior to the full-time spread of last week). Yes, the Patrirots, Colts, Saints, etc. run a lot of runs out of the spread. I believe it was like 75% of the time with the Patriots. The shotgun buys more time for the QB and allows him to survey the field better.

Gore needs to be allowed to run inside and outside, wherever the holes are. Given that Coffee ran the same clone-routes as Gore, it means the scheme was poor.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I really don't understand why we cannot run the ball AT ALL.. I swear if Gore was not as talented he is, we'd be the worst run team in the league. Are the offensive linemen that incapable of run blocking?? Is it the scheme we use with run blocking??

The coaches have finally realized that there run first approach was not working at all... Maybe they need to take a look at the talent they have on the O-line and see what scheme best suits them to run the ball??? Just what would that scheme be exactly??

Hmm the OL sux , have you watched any of the games?
We can't run the ball for several reasons. Overall talent has alot to do with it. Baas has been up and down all year. He'll have a good play, then he'll blow an assignment the next. Rachal has been downright horrible all season. I don't remember him playing so poorly last year, but that is exactly what he is this year, HORRIBLE. Having poor play from the guards tend to make running really difficult. When was the last time you saw a pulling guard in our run game???
Then you have the horrible scheme. Raye calls all his runs up the gut. I can count the number of designed outside runs for Gore on one hand. Over and Over, up the gut, up the gut, up the gut. How about a sweep, toss, or off-tackle?
All those inside runs combined with poor talent is not good. But when the opposing D knows it's coming, that will kill any running game.
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
I really don't understand why we cannot run the ball AT ALL.. I swear if Gore was not as talented he is, we'd be the worst run team in the league. Are the offensive linemen that incapable of run blocking?? Is it the scheme we use with run blocking??

The coaches have finally realized that there run first approach was not working at all... Maybe they need to take a look at the talent they have on the O-line and see what scheme best suits them to run the ball??? Just what would that scheme be exactly??

Thank you for your mind blowing analysis.....
To the original poster......

Have you seen our Offensive Line?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
OL is the suks at run blocking.

The season is 3 quarters done and you still haven't figured that out yet?lol

Just keeping it simple for some of the simple minded fans here .........
I think it is partly Gore. Tell me you haven't see a play or three every game where he seems to ignore a hole through the Tackle/Guard gap and instead run right into the back of the Guard or Center, stop, and then have a defensive player on the groung wrap his ankles. He's not making the cuts at the line of scrimmage he used to make, so I wonder if his ankle is hurt more than he lets on.
1) Coaching, the O-line has poor pad level and lacks explosiveness out of their stance, these items are easily fixable fundamentals.

2) Coaching, poor play design, utilizing to much man on man power blocking schemes. This could be because our coaches feel our personnel are not suited to zone, SAB or other blocking styles.

3) Coaching, the majority of our running plays happen between the tackles, we rarely run out side either off tackle or sweep. We made a few attempts against the Jags to get out side, they failed, but they should we would at least try. I think by not running outside we take Vernon out of the running game and it hurts us, I hope to see more outside runs this week.

4) Personel, our guards do not appear to have the ability to pull, and our Tackles can't seem to get into the second level.

5) Personel, Gore seems best suited to a power I north south running team, he excels at one cut running, follows his full back well and generally seems to run the play as called, he is not a shifty improvisor, nor does he have a tremendous burst at the snap.

6) Personel, we have Gore and Coffee, both appear to be north south power backs, neither are tremendous speedsters, we need to find a fast shifty back with explosive speed to put along side Gore or even to spell him.

7)Coaching, The coaching staff had an offseason, a draft and the free agent period to address our short comings in terms of diversity in the run game. I.E. finding a speed back getting more athletic along the line, upgrading coaching staff. The head coach either felt confident in what he had, or did not fully understand what he has, it is my hope that we can make upgrades at O-line coach, guard, and add a speed back. I also hope that Vernon Davis will have a larger roll in the running game sooner rather than later.

There you have it the problem is 3 parts personnel and 4 parts coaching!

Originally posted by RichnSanRamon:
I think it is partly Gore. Tell me you haven't see a play or three every game where he seems to ignore a hole through the Tackle/Guard gap and instead run right into the back of the Guard or Center, stop, and then have a defensive player on the groung wrap his ankles. He's not making the cuts at the line of scrimmage he used to make, so I wonder if his ankle is hurt more than he lets on.

Running backs last 3-5 years in this league! lets hope Gore has a few more great seasons left, but as he closes in on 30 years old, he will have less dominate seasons and more door mat seasons! Odds are after he turns 30 he is done!
Originally posted by TDilvr:
No doubt our O-Line has not been playing up to snuff but they have been opening up holes and Gore has been routinely missing them. It's odd because he's been very good in the past at hitting the hole and getting up field. I've seen this same problem with Moran Norris as well as Glen Coffee too. Is it a coaching issue? It's almost like none of these guys are even looking for the holes and just slavishly running up the gut whether there's a hole there or not. Not sure who should shoulder the blame here.

Partly coaching. I believe during training camp Coffee was shouted down by coaches for his not slamming the line--the so-called hesitation--in looking for a hole. I'm not sure why that's better than running into your linemen's back.

Also, I wonder if the OL isn't getting off the ball slowly. This is another coaching fault, not working at game-speed during practice. Practicing at game-speed helps in overall execution.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
O-line sucks, predictable playcalling. That about does it

Just keeping it simple for some of the simple minded fans here .........

lol
  • titan
  • Veteran
Our O Line sucks!
Share 49ersWebzone