LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Why can't we run the ball???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I really don't understand why we cannot run the ball AT ALL.. I swear if Gore was not as talented he is, we'd be the worst run team in the league. Are the offensive linemen that incapable of run blocking?? Is it the scheme we use with run blocking??

The coaches have finally realized that there run first approach was not working at all... Maybe they need to take a look at the talent they have on the O-line and see what scheme best suits them to run the ball??? Just what would that scheme be exactly??
Because teams are loading up the box and forcing us to pass. My guess is that that strategy wont last much longer.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Because teams are loading up the box and forcing us to pass. My guess is that that strategy wont last much longer.

agreed! if we keep opening it up with the pass, it will only be a short amount of time, before Gore starts getting good runs. And the fact that our guards can't create holes doesn't help...

Ehh.. I guess they have, but i've seen several times when teams arn't stacking the box and we still get stuffed. I would like to see us try and run a zone blocking scheme and let Gore pic and choose. I'd also like to see more 1 back sets..

This is actually untrue, no one has really been stacking the box against us since the first few weeks of the season. I'm trying to find the link atm, can't remember if it was one of the beat writers or the espn nfc west blog.

Basically, the OL sucks.
[ Edited by znk916 on Dec 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM ]
on some plays we stacked the box against chris johnson, and he still raped us.

Its not completely about them stacking the box, as much as its the playcall or bad scheming.
This is one of the reasons why Alex is going to have to get better under center (he had some nice plays under C against the Jags, though). We need the threat of a pass out of some of our more "crunched" formations to make the D think twice about stacking the line.

I think as Alex gets better, we'll improve in that area as well.

Oh yea and adding 2 linemen via the draft and hopefully another 2 via free agency will help a lot as well.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Dec 2, 2009 at 9:58 AM ]
OL is the suks at run blocking.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
This is one of the reasons why Alex is going to have to get better under center (he had some nice plays under C against the Jags, though). We need the threat of a pass out of some of our more "crunched" formations to make the D think twice about stacking the line.

Oh yea and adding 2 linemen via the draft and hopefully another 2 via free agency will help a lot as well.

Two points to make. The Patriots and a couple other teams run well out of the shotgun. Two, the running game will open up once teams realize we can pass.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
OL is the suks at run blocking.

It's a combination of a lot of things:

The OL isn't that great

Teams are still game planning around Gore (as mentioned by Del Rio's press conference)

and Gore is a 1 cut back. He isn't the shifty runner like Chris Johnson, Addai, or even Kory Sheets. He is best suited for receiving the hand off behind the QB. Does that mean he is limited to that? I don't think so, I hope not. He's still finding his way to run in the Spread, but I'm confident he will soon find his niche
No doubt our O-Line has not been playing up to snuff but they have been opening up holes and Gore has been routinely missing them. It's odd because he's been very good in the past at hitting the hole and getting up field. I've seen this same problem with Moran Norris as well as Glen Coffee too. Is it a coaching issue? It's almost like none of these guys are even looking for the holes and just slavishly running up the gut whether there's a hole there or not. Not sure who should shoulder the blame here.
The planets aren't aligned correctly. Wait til December 21, 2012.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Two points to make. The Patriots and a couple other teams run well out of the shotgun. Two, the running game will open up once teams realize we can pass.

Good luck at running out of the shotgun on a consistent basis. I really don't think that's the type of O Singletary and Raye want...although I'm not adverse to passing 60% of the time myself. A truly balanced offense requires you to pass effectively from under C. I'm pretty sure that's what Raye and Sing are striving for and I don't blame them seeing as to how we have a great RB. As for the second point...yea that's what I basically said.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
It's a combination of a lot of things:

The OL isn't that great

Teams are still game planning around Gore (as mentioned by Del Rio's press conference)

and Gore is a 1 cut back. He isn't the shifty runner like Chris Johnson, Addai, or even Kory Sheets. He is best suited for receiving the hand off behind the QB. Does that mean he is limited to that? I don't think so, I hope not. He's still finding his way to run in the Spread, but I'm confident he will soon find his niche

This is why I think gore would benifit greatly from a zone blocking scheme. I think his one cut style would work well that type of scheme.
Share 49ersWebzone