LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 294 users in the forums

Why can't we run the ball???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
It's a combination of a lot of things:

The OL isn't that great

Teams are still game planning around Gore (as mentioned by Del Rio's press conference)

and Gore is a 1 cut back. He isn't the shifty runner like Chris Johnson, Addai, or even Kory Sheets. He is best suited for receiving the hand off behind the QB. Does that mean he is limited to that? I don't think so, I hope not. He's still finding his way to run in the Spread, but I'm confident he will soon find his niche

This is why I think gore would benifit greatly from a zone blocking scheme. I think his one cut style would work well that type of scheme.

But that requires the smaller shiftier Linemen. guys that we dont have. Smiley was one of those guys.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
OL is the suks at run blocking.

OL is the suks period. Run or Pass.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Because teams are loading up the box and forcing us to pass. My guess is that that strategy wont last much longer.

This.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
It's a combination of a lot of things:

The OL isn't that great

Teams are still game planning around Gore (as mentioned by Del Rio's press conference)

and Gore is a 1 cut back. He isn't the shifty runner like Chris Johnson, Addai, or even Kory Sheets. He is best suited for receiving the hand off behind the QB. Does that mean he is limited to that? I don't think so, I hope not. He's still finding his way to run in the Spread, but I'm confident he will soon find his niche

This is why I think gore would benifit greatly from a zone blocking scheme. I think his one cut style would work well that type of scheme.

But that requires the smaller shiftier Linemen. guys that we dont have. Smiley was one of those guys.

Smiley had been benched in Miami until they suffered some injuries. I like Smiley and did not want him to go but as we all know Scot McCloughan said guards are not hard to find

Maybe not good guards. I just don't get Baas or Rachal. Especially Baas. He was the nations top linemen in college. Chilo is a work in progress. I'm starting to agree that maybe it is the scheme. Both guys were 2nd rounders. Heitmann is not exactly a mauler himself.
1. The entire o line is poor at run blocking
2. Spread Alex not being able to play under center tips our hand too much anytime he's under center opposing teams know they are gonna run. when not under the center opposing defense knows they will throw. You can mix up draws out of the shotgun but long term it's not gonna be effective. Especially after teams get you on tape. Have to mix it up to get a better balance. Not ot mention some kinda lackluster running playss beign called. As of right now whatever works to get a win go with it.
Originally posted by lamontb:
2. Spread Alex not being able to play under center tips our hand too much anytime he's under center opposing teams know they are gonna run. when not under the center opposing defense knows they will throw. You can mix up draws out of the shotgun but long term it's not gonna be effective. Especially after teams get you on tape. Have to mix it up to get a better balance. Not ot mention some kinda lackluster running playss beign called. As of right now whatever works to get a win go with it.

With our 2 te set they wont know if we are running or passing? Thats our best package IMO.
seriously??? you can't figure it out
We need to get Kwame and put him at G.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Because teams are loading up the box and forcing us to pass. My guess is that that strategy wont last much longer.

This.

No.

Teams having been loading up the box that much in the past 2 games, and we still can't run for s**t. Last game we had a couple of 3/4 WR sets, and we tried to run it, and we still got stuff a couple of times. This is just a bad OL/scheming.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
OL is the suks at run blocking.

I think its coaching/scheming....I would think that with the struggles on the oline and that there is talent there singletary will fire foerster and look for a very good oline coach....He needs to steal someone....hudson houck maybe comes to mind.....who are the best in the league?

Originally posted by Joecool:

If we do that, we can kiss the Spread passing game out the window

I hope you are joking. If we can't pick up somebody better than Kwame in the off-season we need to fire the whole front office.
Originally posted by lamontb:

With our 2 te set they wont know if we are running or passing? Thats our best package IMO.

I agree they just have to run more out of it and be more successful. Once they find that perfect mix things will work better. I think most of us are looking for too many answers too soon. this move to the spread is a learning process for the coaching staff aswell for the players.
We can't run the ball because we keep running to the same spot. Once the DL sees the OL coming at them, they all cave the inside gaps because, 90% of the time, that's where we are going. This closes our primary direction which allows the LB to shoot the outside gaps when Gore tries to bounce it out.

It's too predictable.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
We can't run the ball because we keep running to the same spot. Once the DL sees the OL coming at them, they all cave the inside gaps because, 90% of the time, that's where we are going. This closes our primary direction which allows the LB to shoot the outside gaps when Gore tries to bounce it out.

It's too predictable.

You're right. We also try too damn often to go up the gut. Why not have an off tackle run or god forbid a option to the outside? Where is the harm in being even slightly creative with our rushing?
Share 49ersWebzone