LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

could our next game against the packers be alex smith coming out party?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After watching this dude for so long, I highly doubt there is a switch waiting to be clicked where he will suddenly be a lot better. It's not like this is some new guy that we know nothing about.
Smith has improved from where he was before the shoulder injury. He's more decisive on most passing plays. There are some that either the WR is not open or he just plain not sure. But that's to be expected. He hasn't master the offense or reading the defense just yet. He still needs help in these area . His mechanics are better and his accuracy is good. He's not reckless with his decision and better ones will be there with experience.

To some, nothing short of a perfect game from Smith will convince them that Smith has improved. Smith may get to that but it won't be this year.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by B650:
Alex has no heart or any fire in him.

There's one QB in college who has those things, as well as skill, who should be available in the later rounds...

TIM TEBOW

Really? I'd like to see you play with an injured shoulder.

Dumb post of the day.

Alex is playing with an injured shoulder? Alex is soft.

Quit posting before you further embarrass yourself.

He was.

Quit posting before the veterans make you look like a jackass.

Exactly, he was.

He's healthy now, and he's had time to sit and learn. It's his 5th season, and he still plays like a rookie.

So if you murdered someone, but it happened 2 years ago, that means you're no longer a murderer because it isn't in the present. You have to be physically murdering someone at the moment to be a murderer. OK. Now I'm following your logic.

Are you dense?

He sucked THEN, and he sucks NOW. What exactly are you seeing that makes you think he's suddenly playing well?

Look, Dingleberry. You said that he had no HEART. We aren't talking about how well he PLAYS.

I'm saying that he does have heart. If you don't agree, fine, but stop changing the subject because you're wasting everyone's time. We want to see an NFL game between the 49ers and Packers, not a bunch of stupid jokes about Alex Smith.

He doesn't have heart, or passion.

I'd love to see him get pissed off and yell at the O Line, talk trash to the other team, do SOMETHING...but he doesn't.

He has a bad game, throws multiple interceptions, has an opportunity to bounce back the next week, and he just folds again.

That's what you'd love to see, but not the players and coaches. That's a sign of immaturity. He's a professional. He doesn't have to throw a temper tantrum just to let the fans know that he's upset.

I never saw Joe Montana lose his cool. We should've cut him.

Joe didn't have to lose his cool, because he was actually good.

And the coaches wouldn't see it as immaturity, they'd see it as passionate. He needs to be a leader; you praise your players when they do good, but you also let them know when they f**k up. He does neither of those things.

I see him celebrating and praising players when they do good. I don't really see him get that upset when he does bad though. I don't know though. That doesn't necessarily he has no heart. I mean, what do you want him to do? Go to his car, get his AK, and start blasting people in the audience? Or you want him to look like Jay Cutler, a little kid who just got his cake stolen, scratching his head?

Besides, he's the best QB we have right now, so all we can do is hope for the best. We know what we have in Shaun Hill. He can run with his helmet off and do as many fist-pumps as he wants after one of his 3-yard bombs, but in the end, we aren't moving the ball and we aren't going to win many games with him at QB.

Nate Davis? He's too young. Add the fact that he believes Singletary has played in 10 Pro Bowls, despite playing in only 6 seasons, I think he's not exactly ready to see the field yet.

So, either we can whine about our QB situation for the rest of the season, or just hope that Alex, the OL, and the OC all wake up and we finally make the playoffs.
Originally posted by Chief:
Smith sucks dude, what else do you need?

Ditto....yup..yup...
  • fly15
  • Veteran
im not an a smith hater, but the guy sucks!!! he had his opportunities and failed. We need N. DAVIS to come in and demostrate what he can do. Look at Hotdog Sanchez, jets didnt wait for him to develop, at least we'll find out whether he can help the team or not. if not lets start thinking about the draft.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
I just have this gut feeling that this is the game that alex will finally have his break out game for two reasons:

1. I think he will play with a chip on his shoulders, especially to prove that he deserved to be a better pick than rogers and
2. he has had enough time to work with the first team and is more comfortable and wants to prove that he deserves the starting job

hopefully im right

Maybe my dream and your "gut feeling" have something in common?

My thread...
Maybe he sucks, maybe he doesn't... One thing for sure, each year he's had to learn a new OC's system. By the time he's done playing, he just might make a great OC.

He's not the one calling the plays and as you can tell there are new installments to their playbook every week. He's learning as this season goes and he hasn't been that bad... not great either...

What we really need is a system for our current and future QBs to learn and mature in properly. The QB position is not like that of the rest of the positions where you can throw someone in their rookie season.

This may not be his rookie season but he's definately going through the motions as if he was. You learn the plays, the progressions, and what you might expect under different coverages and anticipate how the play can, can't, is or isn't going to work then react properly as the play does or doesn't develop... There's alot to learn as a QB. Everyone keeps saying he's been in the league for a while now so he should have shown it by now, but he hasn't played in 2 years. And you can't say practice squad because it doesn't really count as the QB is normally running the types of plays the next opponent runs to prep the D.

Either way, I think he deserves a chance to learn to produce out of the current system... If he completely fails by season end, Davis will have a chance to compete next training camp.
Originally posted by PTulini:
I just have this gut feeling that this is the game that alex will finally have his break out game for two reasons:

1. I think he will play with a chip on his shoulders, especially to prove that he deserved to be a better pick than rogers and
2. he has had enough time to work with the first team and is more comfortable and wants to prove that he deserves the starting job

hopefully im right

My thread...

There's one QB in college who has those things, as well as skill, who should be available in the later rounds...

im with ya, Tebow has that fire in him! he really reminds me of Steve Young the way he plays...PICK HIM UP!

Every week could be, but every week we're disappointed.

Is this the first time that we've had Rodgers vs. Alex?

Yeah, this'll be the first time both will be facing eachother's teams as starters in a regular season game.

Both teams will come with bad o-lines, steady weapons, and playoff-caliber defenses, but Frank Gore will be managing this game (teams with a RB over 100 yds a game have destroyed the Packers this season).

If Rodgers does better, then all you are going to hear is that they should have drafted him instead of Smith. Ad nauseum.
Originally posted by PTulini:

hopefully im right

My thread...

i hope you guys are right. Im heading to that game Sunday. Since i live in Wisconsin i deal with the Rodgers and Smith talk on a consistant basis. However,i remind them of the A.J Hawk and Vernon Davis picks as of late Radio stations up here have called Davis a bust up to this season. Many packer fans wanted davis rahter than hawk. It didn't help that davis said he never wanted to play for G.B, LOL
  • NMNiner
  • Info N/A
No he won't play with a chip on his shoulder. We should try to trade him, I think he won't ever succeed in San Fran because he overthinks things. He puts to much pressure on himself. I think he is a good QB, just not with the Niners. He needs a change of scenery maybe trade him for another QB thats needs a change of scenery that has potential like Brady Quinn. Now I'm not saying Quinn is an awesome QB, but he does have potetnial and Alex needs out of San Fran to have a chance to succeed.

TIM TEBOW

Dumb post of the day.

He was.

Exactly, he was.

He's healthy now, and he's had time to sit and learn. It's his 5th season, and he still plays like a rookie.

So if you murdered someone, but it happened 2 years ago, that means you're no longer a murderer because it isn't in the present. You have to be physically murdering someone at the moment to be a murderer. OK. Now I'm following your logic.

Are you dense?

He sucked THEN, and he sucks NOW. What exactly are you seeing that makes you think he's suddenly playing well?

Look, Dingleberry. You said that he had no HEART. We aren't talking about how well he PLAYS.

I'm saying that he does have heart. If you don't agree, fine, but stop changing the subject because you're wasting everyone's time. We want to see an NFL game between the 49ers and Packers, not a bunch of stupid jokes about Alex Smith.

I'd love to see him get pissed off and yell at the O Line, talk trash to the other team, do SOMETHING...but he doesn't.

He has a bad game, throws multiple interceptions, has an opportunity to bounce back the next week, and he just folds again.

That's what you'd love to see, but not the players and coaches. That's a sign of immaturity. He's a professional. He doesn't have to throw a temper tantrum just to let the fans know that he's upset.

My favorite Montana story is the one Cross tells: they are starting the game winning drive against the Bengels and Montana gets excited about seeing John Candy in the stands.

I don't doubt that Smith has heart. But I am not sure about the fire. When the chips were down Montana shined. I would like to see some of this in Smith.
Originally posted by BHulman:

TIM TEBOW

Dumb post of the day.

He was.

Exactly, he was.

Are you dense?

My favorite Montana story is the one Cross tells: they are starting the game winning drive against the Bengels and Montana gets excited about seeing John Candy in the stands.

I don't doubt that Smith has heart. But I am not sure about the fire. When the chips were down Montana shined. I would like to see some of this in Smith.

Actually, isn't that Harris Barton? Not Randy Cross.
Share 49ersWebzone